Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:04 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
As someone who has spent years living in each place, I would tend to agree with this; however, I would consider the Driftless Region to be a better comparison to the foothills than the Dells (although some may consider the Dells to be in the Driftless Region, I consider it to be its far eastern edge).
Oregon and Wisconsin are both dairy states too. A lot of parts of the Willamette Valley and Coast Range foothills strongly resemble Wisconsin, especially the area around Veneta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 11:49 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Green Hill Rd. in Eugene always evokes Wisconsin for me, but unlike others I don't find the two that similar overall. Is OR more like MN or WI? WI, certainly. But they don't strike me as much more than distant cousins.

Aside from winter, in moving to OR you're also giving up ravenous swarms of mosquitoes. A major sacrifice, certainly.

Seems we've progressed pretty far in this thread without the normal warnings that in pretty much any field moving to Portland without a job lined up is a significant gamble. Picking up and moving 2,000 miles ain't cheap, and once you're out here, it's a long way back.

You'll almost need some sort of wealth on hand to get any housing, even month-month rooms, given how tight the market is, much less the basic need to survive for an uncertain period of time while you work out steady employment.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:56 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
You'll almost need some sort of wealth on hand to get any housing, even month-month rooms, given how tight the market is, much less the basic need to survive for an uncertain period of time while you work out steady employment.
In other words, the guy from Wisconsin needs to bring some cheddar...
(sorry, it was too good an opportunity to pass up )

Old 05-26-2015, 03:31 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
OP, that is a bit of a local joke. Tillamook cheddar cheese is excellant.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:08 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
In other words, the guy from Wisconsin needs to bring some cheddar...
(sorry, it was too good an opportunity to pass up )
Lol - that was funny.

While it's probably a hanging sin to say it in WI, OR definitely makes better cheese.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
OP, that is a bit of a local joke. Tillamook cheddar cheese is excellant.
Well there's that too but I was thinking in terms of 'cheddar' being slang for money.
Alas, we've fallen victim to the following quote:

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.
- E. B. White

Old 05-26-2015, 05:12 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Actually I took it as a double entendres and chuckled.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Actually I took it as a double entendres and chuckled.
Thanks, nice to know I can still bring the funny. Guess I'll stay hopeful I'll hear back about that writing gig with Letterman's show. Oh? wait!...

Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 PM

13 posts, read 14,260 times
Cheddar? It's all about the cheese curds. What's better than polishing off a 1 lb bag of squeaky goodness?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:09 PM

13 posts, read 14,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I have enough saved up right now that I should be fine for a year. If I can't find work in a year, I'm definitely doing something wrong. From what I seen on Craigslist, there are quite of few 1 bedrooms for rent in my price range. It just depends on where I'd like to focus my search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland