Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 12:02 AM

76 posts, read 95,524 times

Advertisements

Folks,
It seems a month to month lease is popular for rental homes and apartments. What is the reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:04 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It's so the landlord can get you out easily if you turn out to be a PITA.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 AM

616 posts, read 645,246 times
We like month to month so we can raise your rent too

Old 05-31-2015, 04:49 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,652 times
Because even renters who make 6 figures can be real dirt bags. The people who rented my house were in the education industry and together made over 6 figures. They were SLOBS! I had to clear out a mountain of recyclable garbage and old cloth and news paper and paper and cans. They saved everything they used like pack rats. Perhaps they thought the were environmentally conscious, but when they left they didn't take any of it. The showers were NEVER CLEANED and the toilets seldom. There was a ring of old dried **** all over the base of all of the toilets and wall and cabinets has been pissed on several times.

Here is the kicker. The guy was a maintenance guy at a local university and his wife a professor. These people seemed like dream tenants. But, even they were gross, never took care of anything and their dogs destroyed 3 doors an the entire back yard.

Now don't think im just down on renters. My in laws own a property out in Eagle Creek area, and the property may be worth a half million dollars they had a 3000sqft custom home built out there in the 90s. Today, it looks like Appalachia. My father in law has done nothing for home maintenance. The roof has plants growing on it, there are tall weeds growing in the gutters. The siding and wood work are starting to rot. The driveway is over grown with weeds. There is an old derelict u haul truck. a 60s pickup that hasn't ran in a decade, a old wrecked honda, 3 derelict SUVs, an old mercedes Diesel that hasn't ran in 3 years he was going to turn into a bio diesel car. My FIL got a pod, and then just never returned it. Then bought a 40 ft shipping container for a "shop" since the actual shop was "too far" and had 20 years worth of pack rat garbage in it... out of 15 acres he decided to place them right by the house. both my MIL and FIL are hoarders, the inside of the house is disgusting. It used to have a beautiful staircase but it broke so my fil decided to rip it out put cheap metal rails. In the family room he has stored a transmission to an F-250 and the block out of the derelict Honda. Random parts of old tool boxes and tools. He has boxes to the ceiling full of get rich quick scheme stuff hes wasted money on. My SIL and BIL still live at home they don't do anything to help out.

I don't even like to go over there anymore. I need a surgical mask, tetanus shot and and a detoxing shower. He runs a gas generator/air compressor in the basement...ITS CARPETED and finsihed!

Point is renters can look good on paper but until you get them in you will have no idea what they are actually like and how well they took care of stuff. Your rolling the dice so month to month is better for some landlords. I also told you about my in laws because I see people make the argument that renters neglect homes because they have no skin in the game, no investment, no ownership. But I can tell you there are lazy terrible home owners too. Would you want to see these people in your home... No. Month to month insures you can get out from under bad renters. I think month to month is good.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Interesting - I don't see a lot posted as month to month myself these days.

Though I think in general it depends on who's doing the renting. As the posters above note, if you're renting out your own personal property, month to month gives you some control on at least cutting your losses.

But I see the property mgmt companies (who drastically expanded their holdings between 2009-2013) almost exclusively doing 12 month contracts. I'd wager it's because they have the capital, legal staffing, and collections resources to shift the balance of power - almost anything that's disputed in court they're going to win. And they're going to collect.

For an individual homeowner renting a room or a place, pursuing something through the courts or collections is going to be more expensive and probably less likely to pan out.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:19 PM

76 posts, read 95,524 times
So many good points folks, thanks for sharing.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 PM

241 posts, read 386,609 times
I'm looking for a month to month while my house is being built as mine now sold in 30 minutes. Where you finding these?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
You may have better options signing a 1-year lease with an affordable termination clause. Assuming that the high demand for rental housing continues for the next 9 months (as I assume it will) you should be able to find a new lease without a lot of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: