Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,217 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to the Newberg area late summer/early fall of this year, but are trying to decide if it will be a good move. It seems like housing and jobs are both fairly limited, especially for our price range (225k tops) and for husband's job (willing to do whatever kind of work, but hasn't settled into a career yet--what kind of work would a guy in his late 20s with a shipping/receiving background be able to find?). Thanks in advance!
Also, any advice as to neighborhood we should look for housing in Newberg or surrounding areas? Just descriptions of what's there would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 11:41 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
I'm not sure why you chose Newberg, but I would look at Tualatin 10 to 12 miles north. There's a UPS hub in Tualatin and tons more companies with shipping and receiving departments.

http://jobs-ups.com/tualatin-jobs

Old 06-27-2015, 01:56 AM

810 posts, read 851,839 times
As someone who has previously worked at UPS. I recommend trying to get hired. Not sure how long it is now to be a driver when I worked it was at least 7 years . But they have excellent benefits although the pay is not great. After 1 year you get full medical for you and your family NO COST to you and as soon as you start working you are eligible for the tuition reimbursement they have. Depending on the school you could possibly not have to pay first but pay at the end of each term. They will explain it all. I took a few classes while i still worked there.

Plus it is just part time so it is good as a supplemental job. As soon as you work through the probation put your name on the driver list even if you are not sure if you want to drive. I am not sure how much they make but I think it is over 50 K a year. Again you would have to ask/

Old 06-27-2015, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,217 times
thanks both of you! Good tip about Tualatin--we'd be moving to Newberg if I get a job at George Fox, but maybe we could live in Sherwood and the hubby could go look for work in Tualatin. UPS sounds like a good gig, especially with his background, but he's open to basically anything that would take him; are there any great local companies to work for in the area? Is the winery industry hard to get into? That's the only industry I know of in that area. thanks again!

Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
Ups pays min wage. Wont give you more than 25 hours. The union will rape your paycheck for the first 90 days. Tax burden is very high. You dont get any benefits until one year. You have very little room for advancement. My nephew was at swan island. His paychecks were 120-140 a week. He got a 1 dollar raise after 1 year and moved to the sorter line. He said his medical benefits were laughable and his paychecks were 170 a week. He quit and works in a wearhouse in clackamas, some food processeor now he can get full time and actually have enough money to pay for school. I worked for ups in the late 90s it sucked then and it sucks now. 85% turn over rate at swan island. After a year you make 760 a month for back breaking work. Id look into some other job there are many logistics jobs that are easier and pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland