Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 15,472 times

Advertisements

I am moving my wife and young child to the Lents area in Portland. Is this area really coming up (improving)? I really dont know too much about the area, is it relatively safe for a young family? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 AM

23 posts, read 34,204 times
Default Lents Neighborhood or "Felony Flats"

When I lived in Portland from 1989-2003 (NE Roseway neighborhood) The Lents neighborhood was known as "Felony Flats" in local parlance. I don't know if the booming real estate market there has changed any of that in recent years, (but I doubt it!) but if a realtor is telling you good things about Lents, just to sell a home to an unsuspecting person, I would definitely go running in the opposite direction!

Good Luck out there!

P.S. you might want to try the NE area for better values. I lived on NE 76th
in a charming little cottage - and LOVED it there! It was within walking distance to the library, school, and grocery store.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
It depends where you are. Yes, they're really trying to improve lents and some new things are being built, etc. There is a nice park there and it's close to the freeway and walking/bike trail along 205. However, it's also an area with a lot of meth, halfway houses, and felony convictions. BUT, it really depends on where you are in Lents. Some areas aren't so bad, some are pretty bad. Do you know where you're going to be? And by pretty bad, I'm not suggesting you can't walk down the street or that you'll be robbed constantly, it's just a kind of depressing and ugly area at this point and yes, there is a lot of crime compared to the rest of Portland. They do (as a positive) have a really great farmer's market as one of the improvements.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM

61 posts, read 402,280 times
Lents didn't seem that bad at all when I stayed there for a few days. Granted the houses are older but I would think that those would be good starter homes for new families.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Where did you stay? It's a fairly large area and can be different by as little as two blocks....The entire area isn't horrible, but it's not the kind of neighborhood you'd call fun for a young family, unless you're hanging in for the long haul of neighborhood improvements. There is a huge push to improve Lents and I hope it does happen. I know some improvements have already been made and with the light rail going in and the urban renewal funds Lents might be a different world in a few years.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 15,472 times
Thanks for your input. We will be around 101st off Foster. I was looking at crime maps and there is a higher crime rate in Lents but 101st seems to be on the outskirts of it?? Any more input is greatly appriciated. Thank you so much...

Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 PM

I'm more familiar with the closer in part of Lents--right by the freeway area. At 101st you might be a lot better off. 10 blocks can make a huge difference! Are you moving there because it's cheaper? Are you buying?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 27,029 times
Default Well...

Hi,

This sounds really horrible, but the Lents area is known as "felony flats". My sister lives in Lents and this is what I can tell you: 1) many of her neighbors are nice, low-middle class folks who are just fine, and; 2) many of of her neighbors are not people you'd want living next door -- drugs, rough behavior, etc.

Her block has been closed down at least twice due to police raids on drug houses. The elementary school and high school have some kids that don't exactly come from nurturing homes.

That said, Lents does have a Farmer's/Artists Market and there are some new buildings popping up. People REALLY want it to be a great neighborhood. And maybe it will be someday.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,542 times
Thumbs down I live there

I live in that area in one of the newer (since 2000) townhouses. I would tell any friend of mine... DON'T MOVE ANYWHERE IN THIS AREA!
We had some guy with MS beaten almost to death a block away because he "narced" on a shop lifter and a week later someone was stabbed at the bar across the street. My wife once had to ask the SWAT team to move their van, as they raided a neighbors house, so that she could go to work. The "hood" did give us a sense of doing our civic duty when we witnessed an armed robbery and we were the only ones to step forward thus going through months of supoena's and rescheduled trials.
The lowlife's suck because well... they're low life's.
The normal folk suck because we are miserable being surrounded with low life's. Our "normal" neighbors have threatened to kill our dogs and have thrown glass in our yard to hurt our dogs.
Any realtor that would tell you it's great is a lying scumbag or clueless.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:06 AM

61 posts, read 402,280 times
If the maps say your area is a low-crime area, then you'll be fine. Frankly with the way things are nowadays (rising prices in food, housing, growing gap between rich and poor) Lents might become a more sought-after area because of lower prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: