Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 06:57 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Why is that a good thing?

How much tax $ has now been spent establishing a legal Marijuana system because "dopey" Portland folk think it will be cool to legally buy weed?
This does not make the initiative process not a good thing, because of how the citizens choose to use it.

Do you think that Democracy is a bad thing because it gives the people the power to make choices that you think are bad choices?

Old 08-29-2015, 01:54 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
This does not make the initiative process not a good thing, because of how the citizens choose to use it.

Do you think that Democracy is a bad thing because it gives the people the power to make choices that you think are bad choices?

We do not live in a pure democracy. We live in a Democratic Republic.

We do not live by mob rule (which a pure Democracy is). We live in a system whereby the mob elects representatives to speak and plan on our behalf. Further the constitution allegedly is to protect some from mob rule.

The thing with initiatives is: The mob can authorize feel good rulings but does not have to consider the details. For example: can the mob pass an initiative that every adult Oregonian should get a car from the state? Theoretically, I think it could.

But it seems the mob does not figure out how the state would finance such an initiative.

To answer question: No, Democracy is not a bad thing. Improper implementation of Democracy can be a bad thing.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:36 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
hopefully the new max line will make portland less boring. if not its cool to look at and helps some people to get around

Old 09-05-2015, 04:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
"Why not just move"

That's a very narrow-minded view of the world. There are thousands of reasons why someone cannot relocate. Otherwise there would be no ghettos.
For real. If I could have it my way right now I'd be in Minnesota but I have to finish school first, my boyfriend has to as well, we need to have jobs secured, a place to live etc. I really envy people who think anyone can just "pack up and go." They must A. not have many commitments and responsibilities. B. Have a large amount of money and C. Have no family ties which are one the biggest things that keep people grounded where they don't like living. I hated Miami, and lived there for 18 years because its not the easiest thing to just you know, leave your family and tumble like a weed lol

Old 09-05-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
But it's 100% of Texas.
Sigh. If you really think 100% of 268,820 square miles of U.S. land looks like a dull farmyard, you're 100% dumb.

Texas is a huge and diverse state. The northeast side is pine forests, the southeast is swampy, the middle is hilly, the northern part is plains, the western part is desert and mountains. The state is huge, hombre.

Both states are full of beauty. Pine trees and snowy mountains are gorgeous, but so are the great plains and desert.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I would hope so, but where are they - what cities? Look at the pollution-apologists and global warming deniers who keep getting elected in Texas. Rick Perry and the "pray for rain" crowd, with James Inhofe nearby in Oklahoma, have the same mindset via oil money. Somebody keeps voting those people in, so pro-nature priorities must not be very strong. Texas is also building a lot of wind turbines which disrespect nature in another way.

I think Texas' reputation for living large and building big is no illusion. I've driven through there twice and recall the "Don't Mess With Texas" anti-litter signs, but they litter their landscapes with oil rigs and giant wind turbines, which get installed by similar people who want to get paid and don't care about aesthetics. Lots of greenwashing going on. Texas seems to exemplify the American ethic of endless construction and development, which is ultimately a pyramid scheme economy.
What the hell do y'all want? You don't want coal (understandable) you don't want nuclear (after Chernobyl and 3 mile island, concerning) but not even damn wind turbines? Wind turbines are extremely clean and environmentally friendly. Not only that, they look extremely beautiful. Watching them spin on the horizon is majestic in some profound way I can't explain. I don't get hardcore liberal logic.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:25 AM

206 posts, read 260,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Texas doesn't have an arts tax. Point: Oregon.
Texas is not a legal umbrella for wayward sex offenders. Point: Texas

Old 09-07-2015, 01:27 PM

616 posts, read 645,321 times
so now its Oregon Vs Texas?

Old 09-07-2015, 09:18 PM

300 posts, read 267,438 times
Texas is cooler than Oregon.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:44 AM

616 posts, read 645,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
Texas is cooler than Oregon.
Im sure there are people here that could care less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland