Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:29 AM

24 posts, read 28,210 times

Advertisements

Holy shnikes!!! Income tax in Oregon is insane! Our family is relocating to my husband's hometown of Portland. He found a job in Oregon and I'm in consideration for a job in Vancouver. Can anyone explain in layman's terms the Oregon income tax?? I know that I will have to pay Oregon tax because I'll live in Portland and work in WA. For example if we made 110k as a married couple and have 2 dependents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:58 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3kiddos View Post
Holy shnikes!!! Income tax in Oregon is insane! Our family is relocating to my husband's hometown of Portland. He found a job in Oregon and I'm in consideration for a job in Vancouver. Can anyone explain in layman's terms the Oregon income tax?? I know that I will have to pay Oregon tax because I'll live in Portland and work in WA. For example if we made 110k as a married couple and have 2 dependents?
It's basically just a state income tax like all the others. You will pay income tax because you're a resident of oregon and Washington doesn't have an income tax. Oregons tax law allows credits for income tax paid elsewhere, but because WA doesn't have an income tax, you never get that.

Example: I worked in Connecticut for 2 weeks last year. I paid income tax to CT for those two weeks and didn't have to pay Oregon tax.

The income tax here isn't that bad, it's just the bracket. I paid around 6.7% effective tax rate this year. You get to deduct like 6000 in federal taxes from your return.

Also don't forget you have to pay the arts tax which is really just the perfect compliment to having the worst graduation rates in the country

Old 01-31-2015, 10:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
It is a nice balance for not having to pay any sales tax for anything. I enjoy being able to look at price tags and know how much something will cost me.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:33 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
A handy way to see its impact is to do your taxes using tax software and purchase the Oregon tax element. Then run your scenarios. I recommend you price TaxAct, H&R Block, TurboTax software in that order.

My income tax is very modest but then I am a senior with tax exempt income and deductible health care expenses.

Someone mentioned that WA has no income tax, which is true, but they have a lot of taxes that are not deductible on the Federal return. Let me assure you that they will pick your pocket in the big picture not a lot less than Oregon. The winners are the folks who work remotely (W-2 earners) who shop in Oregon and don't buy much in the way of licensed goods such as cars. If you have consulting income they have a killer business & occupations tax on your GROSS.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is a nice balance for not having to pay any sales tax for anything. I enjoy being able to look at price tags and know how much something will cost me.
Not even close to offsetting the high income tax in OR. Further, generally there is little control over income aside from deferring taxes as much as possible via 401K, IRA etc.

On the other side, people can very much control purchasing options.

Oregon's approach is not wise. But then again, little about how Oregon Gov't operates does.

To OP: If you are a significant bread winner in the family, why not consider living in WA to avoid Income on your contribution to family?

Old 01-31-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Not even close to offsetting the high income tax in OR. Further, generally there is little control over income aside from deferring taxes as much as possible via 401K, IRA etc.

On the other side, people can very much control purchasing options.

Oregon's approach is not wise. But then again, little about how Oregon Gov't operates does.

To OP: If you are a significant bread winner in the family, why not consider living in WA to avoid Income on your contribution to family?
For you maybe, but for me, I hate being nickeled and dimed by sales tax every purchase I make. I would rather pay a lump sum.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:02 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,090 times
Quote:
For you maybe, but for me, I hate being nickeled and dimed by sales tax every purchase I make. I would rather pay a lump sum.
If you compare WA's sales tax to OR's income tax, my (conservative) guess is that Oregonians pay FOUR times more in income tax than Washingtonians pay in sales tax each year. Therefore, it would make for horrific financial prudency to want to pay five times more, just to not have to calculate an additional 9% at the cash register. If I had the choice to pay WA's sales tax vs. our income tax, I'd take WA's sales tax in a heartbeat.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
If you compare WA's sales tax to OR's income tax, my (conservative) guess is that Oregonians pay FOUR times more in income tax than Washingtonians pay in sales tax each year. Therefore, it would make for horrific financial prudency to want to pay five times more, just to not have to calculate an additional 9% at the cash register. If I had the choice to pay WA's sales tax vs. our income tax, I'd take WA's sales tax in a heartbeat.
From what I have seen, Washington ranges in Sales Tax from 6.5% base to about 9.6% max, with most places sitting around 8% total.

Based on CNN Money, not sure if it is current information or from 2002 because it doesn't clearly specify, but the cost per $1000 is much higher in Washington than it is Oregon.

CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

Over a course of a year, if you spent $10K on random things in the state, that would cost you around $800.

Last edited by urbanlife78; 01-31-2015 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 11:50 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,090 times
Quote:
From what I have seen, Washington ranges in Sales Tax from 6.5% base to about 9.6% max, with most places sitting around 8% total.

Based on CNN Money, not sure if it is current information or from 2002 because it doesn't clearly specify, but the cost per $1000 is much higher in Washington than it is Oregon.

CNN/Money: Taxes state by state
Keep in mind that you only spend about 10-20% of your gross income on sales taxable items, whereas the majority of your gross income gets hit with an income tax.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 PM

Here is some interesting tax information between the two states.

Washington
Washington | The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP)

Oregon
Oregon | The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland