Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:23 AM

30 posts, read 39,551 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are thinking about purchasing a beautifully restored, 1928, home on 13.5 acres on NW Old St. Helens Highway just south of Scappoose. Because of the wonderful home, the nice property (both forest and pasture, with a creek), and the close proximity to Portland, we hope that this might be a good place for us to retire. The only missing piece of the puzzle is the neighborhood/area around the property. It is hard to tell what it is like from Google Maps street view. Does anyone have any thoughts/help/insight they might offer before we fly all of the way there and check it out ourselves?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:32 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
that's great, go for it

Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Do you mean Old Portland Road?

St. Helen's Road, Hgy 30, to Portland, is a busy highway. You will want the house to be well back from Hgy 30. Ideally access that highway at a controlled intersection.

OHSU has a family medical clinic in Scappoose. For critical care you will want to go to Portland.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
I guess you probably already know this, or you wouldn't be considering retiring there, but it's really WET out there during the rainy season.

If you get out there towards the end of summer, take a good look at the trees around the property.
It won't look like Louisiana, but those trees carry a lot of moss and stuff, which means cool and wet for long periods of time.

Is this the place?
http://www.johnlscott.com/Home/14004...poose-OR-97056

Looks nice!

Old 07-28-2015, 10:41 AM

If that is the property linked above the intersection at Hgy 30 (Google's street view is 8 years old) will be manageable during non-commute hours. Note the turning area in the middle of the highway.

That road also intersects Hgy 30 at Rocky Point Road, similar condition. Here Google's street view is only 3 years old.

If you want to go to Beaverton or Hillsboro take Cornelius Pass Road.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:12 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If that is the property linked above the intersection at Hgy 30 (Google's street view is 8 years old) will be manageable during non-commute hours. Note the turning area in the middle of the highway.

That road also intersects Hgy 30 at Rocky Point Road, similar condition. Here Google's street view is only 3 years old.

If you want to go to Beaverton or Hillsboro take Cornelius Pass Road.
This is petty but it's bugging me. The abbreviation for Highway is hwy not hgy.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:24 AM

I stand corrected and will never never do it again.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:24 PM

30 posts, read 39,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I guess you probably already know this, or you wouldn't be considering retiring there, but it's really WET out there during the rainy season.

If you get out there towards the end of summer, take a good look at the trees around the property.
It won't look like Louisiana, but those trees carry a lot of moss and stuff, which means cool and wet for long periods of time.

Is this the place?
27121 NW SAINT HELENS RD, Scappoose, OR 97056

Looks nice!
Yes, that's the place! Great detective work!

Yes, it's wet (except that when we were in Portland two weeks ago it was over 100! Yuck!), but as a artist/maker I spend a lot of time indoors creating stuff. In fact, the property not only has a huge barn, but it also has a large basement, either of which can be used as a studio/shop. When it's sunny...well...not raining...we enjoy backpacking, hiking, gardening, and kayaking.

I guess my biggest concern in not the wet, but what the area around the property is like. The property itself looks wonderful, but...umm...I hope that I don't get in trouble here...and I hesitate to say this...on Google Maps street view, if one looks a short distance north and south, some of the area looks a bit...well...shabby. Sorry. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong!

We also wonder about the drive to Portland. I seems to be about 20 to 30 minutes, but I wonder.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:16 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Well, it is kind of a rural area, and places that close to the coast and the river, and subject to a lot of wet weather do tend to look shabby and overgrown after a few years without constant upkeep, so....................

Remember, Scappoose has its origins in farming and logging.
Not to long ago, it was considered fairly backwoods and in the sticks.

If meticulously groomed yards and well kept estates are what you desire, you may be a little disappointed in Scappoose.

I don't quite get what your after, when I look at google earth all I see is a few houses, some farms, woods, and a highway close by, and the town to the west?

I don't see anything that would really be considered "shabby"?
Looks just like the outskirts of a small town in Oregon to me.

Of course, when a town has a median income of $50k, a well groomed and well appointed $800k piece of real estate is going to stick out like a sore thumb and make it's small town surroundings look a little shabby.
Maybe that's the problem.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 07-28-2015 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 05:00 PM

It is a lovely house but very overpriced IMHO. As others have commented this is basically a working class town.

If you are willing to share what you are looking for perhaps we can help you find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland