Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:18 PM

616 posts, read 645,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, I never said we could not compare cities, but that wasn't what I was comparing. I was saying that I remember Seattle had a huge apartment building boom in the 90s, those units are still asking top dollar today. I see Portland doing the same, the apartments being built now will probably continue to be at this price range for the foreseeable future. The idea that streets like Division and North Williams will somehow become ghettos because of this just doesn't make any sense.
foreseeable future--oh
wait 15 years
Portland doesnt have the strong job base to support this and that is the single reason you only see a few towers being built. Less than 500,000 sq ft of office space built in the last 24 months. Numbers tell the story.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
foreseeable future--oh
wait 15 years
Portland doesnt have the strong job base to support this and that is the single reason you only see a few towers being built. Less than 500,000 sq ft of office space built in the last 24 months. Numbers tell the story.
I will, I don't plan on leaving this metro in my lifetime, so I will be here in 15 years.

As for the less than 500K sq ft of office space, is that just based on downtown or the city as a whole? Also, do you have a link that shows the change in office space this past two years?

From this link, it shows in the next year about 1.5million sq ft of office space will be coming online through mostly new construction and some renovation.
http://www.colliers.com/-/media/file...5q2_office.pdf

Last edited by urbanlife78; 08-13-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I will, I don't plan on leaving this metro in my lifetime, so I will be here in 15 years.

As for the less than 500K sq ft of office space, is that just based on downtown or the city as a whole? Also, do you have a link that shows the change in office space this past two years?

From this link, it shows in the next year about 1.5million sq ft of office space will be coming online through mostly new construction and some renovation.
http://www.colliers.com/-/media/file...5q2_office.pdf
First off I love Portlands region--Ive been here since 1958
The core area of Portland contains 2.5 mil sq ft of vacant space as I type--
If you look at Colliers please look at other similar cities and metro areas-

compare similar metro areas and get back to me

Dude its not all that rosy in the Rose city---things are getting bigger but not better for aprox 50% of the population. Even Dan Saltzman has major concerns.

I want to know how to fix it if possible--not hide it

whats happening with PSU and OHSU is great--

and while you are on an all Portland positive thing venture out to Rockwood--there again it IS PORTLAND too

Lets make this place better than just trendy?

Last edited by 58rhodes; 08-13-2015 at 07:31 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 PM

I have to say this--

The Tualatin Sherwood Rd corridor has added over 3 mil sq feet of flex space recently--makes Portland look kinda bad dont you think?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I have to say this--

The Tualatin Sherwood Rd corridor has added over 3 mil sq feet of flex space recently--makes Portland look kinda bad dont you think?
Actually no I don't think that is bad, it is good for the metro that it is growing all over, not just in one area. The downtown core of Portland has a vacancy rate of less than 9% which is also a good number. I am just not sure I follow your doom and gloom expectations for Portland....though I would still like to see some links where you are getting your information from to read over what you are reading.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:02 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
I agree strongly with the OP. I've lived in Texas, South Carolina, Arizona, Massachusetts, Texas again and now Oregon.

The wage:housing cost problem is indeed happening all over the country, in more than half the U.S.'s metros. The other half - mostly the midwest and plains - are affordable but there are not that many good jobs in those places either.

When I lived in San Antonio the local news talked about a murder in the city at least 2 times a week, usually on the city's east or south side. 2014 was a "bad" year for homicides in Portland - totaling 26. San Antonio had 103 in 2014. SA proper is about 40% larger than Portland proper but it has almost 300% more murders.

For 6 months I lived in a bad apt complex in Austin. Cars got broken into so much that my roommate and I would leave the door and/or window open when we were in the front room so we could hear if someone was trying to break into one of our cars outside and intervene. We had to go out with a baseball bat or other weapon and chase away would-be car burglars at least 3 times in that 6 month period - maybe more when I wasn't home and my roommate was. Oregon in general, when it comes to crime, performs quite well.

Traffic is also relatively benign compared to the cities I've lived in. Austin is about the size of the Portland MSA and traffic there is exponentially worse.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Actually no I don't think that is bad, it is good for the metro that it is growing all over, not just in one area. The downtown core of Portland has a vacancy rate of less than 9% which is also a good number. I am just not sure I follow your doom and gloom expectations for Portland....though I would still like to see some links where you are getting your information from to read over what you are reading.
doom and gloom will only happen if Portland follows the I dont care attitude it now has

Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
doom and gloom will only happen if Portland follows the I dont care attitude it now has
I don't think Portland overall has a "don't care" attitude. We might just be seeing the city and metro differently.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:26 PM

135 posts, read 124,712 times
I've learned a lot in this conversation about Portland. The area I just moved to in NE is building like crazy with mostly retail space. Admittedly, I have been relatively confined inside of 205 so I can't speak much on the metro as a whole. But from running daily errands throughout SE & NE neighborhoods, development is going on everywhere. From an economic standpoint, if you build it, they will come. My neighbor recently moved from the Bay Area where he was a lifer in San Francisco and opined that Portland looks like San Francisco did 20 years ago. Think about if this is the beginning of a SF-like boom and we have the privilege to participate and enjoy something of this magnitude? And not because it's a comparison to SF, but because SF is a global city and if we could have a slice of a global city in 20 years just imagine the financial implications. That's the way you retire early! Sometimes it's being in the right place at the right time ...

Old 08-14-2015, 08:18 AM

Portland has a ways to go before it becomes San Francisco. San Francisco has been an international financial,corporate,tourist and transportation hub for many years. I think Portlands biggest problem will be sustaining all this growth.--Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland