Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 PM

23 posts, read 59,311 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if you guys could just give me an idea of your cost of living?
Not rent and utilities, because that will vary hugely across the neighborhoods and I have info on that otherwise.

What I especially want to know is:
What does it cost to feed your family in Portland?
Eating mostly at home vs eating out a lot?
Other costs that may be higher than other areas of the states?
(Like if clothes were particularly expensive or something like that.)

We don't smoke, and don't go to bars, so that kind of thing doesn't matter much to me.
But I'm really curious about this otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:49 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Really? You want us to guess how much you eat and how many new clothes you buy?

Rent and housing is extra high. Power bills are about average. You can look at your current electric bill, see how many kw you use and then call the power company in Portland and ask for cost per kw and taxes.. People tend to use the same amount of power wherever they are. The difference is, you'll want to ad $150 to that electric bill if you are moving from a place where you never use heat to a house in portland that has electric heat.

Food has gotten expensive everywhere. You can look online and read the grocery ads to see what it will cost you to buy whatever is on sale.

Salaries and wages in portland are low, so plan on reduced income.

Clothes can be $2 at the thrift store to hundreds of dollars for a pair of designer jeans.

Gasoline is higher than gasoline on the east coast.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:30 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,898 times
We also have to guess whether the family of 3 includes a kid who may or may not need day care or private school.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:44 AM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,127 times
I'll take a shot at this. IMO, it doesn't cost all that much in Portland for the things you describe. Meaning, it won't be much higher, if at all, than where you're coming from. Clothes can be bought at tons of different places and with the prevalence of sales and so forth, you can buy at Macy's or Nordstrom Rack or something like that for pretty cheap these days, depending on your income.

Food will only cost a lot if you like to feed fresh foods and cook organic and shop at places like Whole Foods. But that's true anywhere. If you buy TV dinners, regular meats and poultry, canned goods, etc. then it's probably cheaper at Winco than most other metros around the country.

I do think food at pubs and mid to higher end restaurants and so forth are cheaper than most other desired metros. But if you don't eat out much, the point might be moot.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:50 PM

311 posts, read 348,390 times
We are a family of four but our kids are still tiny. We easily spend $150+ a week on groceries, plus around $50 a week on take-out and beer and wine. I shop at Trader Joe's, New Seasons, and Fred Meyer. I buy about 50% organic. I don't coupon or watch sales. If I needed to slash our grocery budget I could buy non organic food and shop at Winco.

Owning a pet is more expensive here than elsewhere. Our vet bills are much higher than when we lived in New England plus our dog eats expensive food because he is allergic to chicken.

Child care in Oregon is also among the highest in the country. I don't use child care myself but I've read full time infant care is more expensive than state college tuition.

Finally, I've always felt the state income tax is fairly high, property tax about average as far as I can tell.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:15 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,652 times
We don't have sales tax on anything. That's all you really need to know.

Portland is a pretty average US city for cost.

Eating out... depends. National chains: same price, gourmet bistro: whatever the market bears.

Gas is about 2.85 right now.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:28 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Very expensive

Old 08-26-2015, 11:40 AM

23 posts, read 59,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Really? You want us to guess how much you eat and how many new clothes you buy?
Is there a particular reason to be that rude?
I didn't ask you to guess anything about my family. My question was "What do YOU spend on this?".
I was hoping to see some answers that gave other people's experiences and thus I could infer from that.

It's not really necessary to be this acerbic. If the question pisses you off that much, just don't answer.

Quote:
We also have to guess whether the family of 3 includes a kid who may or may not need day care or private school.
Yes, we have a kid, but no, we have no need for day care of private school. We're an unschooling family.

Quote:
I'll take a shot at this. IMO, it doesn't cost all that much in Portland for the things you describe. Meaning, it won't be much higher, if at all, than where you're coming from. Clothes can be bought at tons of different places and with the prevalence of sales and so forth, you can buy at Macy's or Nordstrom Rack or something like that for pretty cheap these days, depending on your income.

Food will only cost a lot if you like to feed fresh foods and cook organic and shop at places like Whole Foods. But that's true anywhere. If you buy TV dinners, regular meats and poultry, canned goods, etc. then it's probably cheaper at Winco than most other metros around the country.

I do think food at pubs and mid to higher end restaurants and so forth are cheaper than most other desired metros. But if you don't eat out much, the point might be moot.
Thank you! This is useful and much appreciated. I do want to get more into the fresh foods cooking, but more interested in the market than Whole Foods. We do want to eat out and enjoy the local food culture as well, so thanks for the info on that.

Quote:
We are a family of four but our kids are still tiny. We easily spend $150+ a week on groceries, plus around $50 a week on take-out and beer and wine. I shop at Trader Joe's, New Seasons, and Fred Meyer. I buy about 50% organic. I don't coupon or watch sales. If I needed to slash our grocery budget I could buy non organic food and shop at Winco.
$150 a week is about what we spend here for a family of 3, so that helps me compare. Thank you!

Quote:
We don't have sales tax on anything. That's all you really need to know.

Portland is a pretty average US city for cost.

Eating out... depends. National chains: same price, gourmet bistro: whatever the market bears.

Gas is about 2.85 right now.
Yes, I know there's no sales tax. That makes everything automatically about 9% cheaper. Heh.
Thank you for the info!

I appreciate the helpful responses! We're doing our best to make an informed decision about the expense versus being in the area we want to be in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: