Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:05 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times

Advertisements

"...I blame her. She knows exactly what she weighs, and how much space she takes. She should buy three seats and sit in the middle. That’s the consequence of her choice to overeat, if that is the cause of her weight issue."

Now I wonder what she *really* thought about the Boz.

Topic: KPAM's Margie Boule shares her true feelings on Facebook | Feedback.pdxradio.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 01:05 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Then SHE can buy an extra seat for her comfort!

I don't have much sympathy for a 1-1/2 hour flight. I've sat next to heavy people before, along with overly-talkative people, children kicking the back of my seat, a person who was sick, and an obnoxious cranky elder lady. The heavy person was the least annoying of all of them by far.

But.... she's entitled to her opinion.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM

Oh, the kids kicking the back of the seat... that ranks right up at #1, tied with the jerk in front who puts his seat on full recline milliseconds after takeoff, and stays that way the entire flight.

(PS: I agree with your comments above. It was only 90 minutes. If her back is that bad, she could have switched seats with her husband.)

Old 08-24-2015, 12:36 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,008 times
What suprises me is that people are upset with her for posting this. She should have talked the flight attendent about this. Trust me, I understand being heavy. I am 6' and 300 lbs and I fit perfectly fine in a seat on Alaska Airlines even on the turbo props, without my body invading the space of my fellow seatmeats.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:20 PM

265 posts, read 259,109 times
If I was in Margie's situation I would have requested another seat. If not available would have insisted the obese passenger be removed. If the airline did not remove the obese passenger I would have caught the next flight and demanded compensation for being constructively denied boarding. I have no problem filing a small claims suit if necessary to receive the appropriate compensation.

If you think the obese passenger did not have to buy a second seat, I offer you this analogy. If you wanted to eat one and one half hamburgers, would you buy two or buy one and plan on eating one half of someone else's hamburger.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 PM

It's the air crew's call on whether a passenger can fit into a seat and belt in properly. If they feel the passenger is OK, then your leaving the flight is entirely voluntary on your part and you'll have no ground to stand on in small claims court unless you can prove you whipped out a doctor's note there on the plane stating you had lumbago or something - in which case you should have purchased a first class seat.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 PM

265 posts, read 259,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
It's the air crew's call on whether a passenger can fit into a seat and belt in properly. If they feel the passenger is OK, then your leaving the flight is entirely voluntary on your part and you'll have no ground to stand on in small claims court unless you can prove you whipped out a doctor's note there on the plane stating you had lumbago or something - in which case you should have purchased a first class seat.
Moderator cut: snip

Yes, it is the air crews call, but not necessarily the correct call. However, if someone encroaching on your paid space causes you pain/discomfort you don't wish to suffer, you have every right to leave if the crew can't or won't correct the situation. This would be construed as constructively being involuntarily denied boarding and not voluntary. As far as small claims court is concerned, over the years I have filed 6 suits against airlines for various reasons. I have prevailed every time with 5 judgments by default.

In no case should anyone be expected to purchase a first class seat due to the inconsiderate action of another. Let the obese individual bear any additional expense by purchasing a second seat.

Last edited by delta07; 09-01-2015 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: unnecessary and bordering on personal attack

Old 08-30-2015, 01:28 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,508 times
Quote:
Oh, the kids kicking the back of the seat... that ranks right up at #1, tied with the jerk in front who puts his seat on full recline milliseconds after takeoff, and stays that way the entire flight.
I'm waiting to see an invention to deal with these two issues show up on Shark Tank!

Old 08-30-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
I'm waiting to see an invention to deal with these two issues show up on Shark Tank!
What do sharks have to do with airlines? You lost me.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,008 times
Quote:
What do sharks have to do with airlines? You lost me.
Shark Tanks is a TV show where inventors show their invention/product to ptential investors in how of making a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland