Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,127 times

Advertisements

Hi! We (husband, 3 kids and I) are hoping to relocate from Texas to the Portland area within a year.

Here are a few of our concerns.

*How hard is it to find a teaching job in the Portland area? (We will not move w/o a job lined up.)

*What neighborhoods would you recommend for a family with young kids?
--Safety is one of our biggest concerns.
--We'll have at least one car to drive around if needed but we would also enjoy being able to walk and explore. Is it even necessary to have two cars?
--Any zip codes we should stay away from?

We plan on visiting in the next few months. Any insight you have to offer is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 AM

311 posts, read 348,179 times
My sense is that teaching jobs are tricky to get here, but I don't have first-hand experience with that. I just know there are more qualified applicants for most professional positions here than there are positions available.

As for neighborhoods, that is entirely dependent on your budget. What is your budget for housing, what size home do you want, and how highly rated do you want the assigned public schools to be?

You could certainly just have one car in Portland proper, much trickier in the suburbs.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:55 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
First, teaching. Very competitive. That said, the Estacada school district is having a mass exodus of teachers due to an abysmal hire of superintendent. However, that person will be fired within a couple of years and there are openings. You also may want to look at Vancouver schools.

Second, safety. There really are no safe neighborhoods in Portland that I could recommend. And with the advent of legalizing drugs, it isn't getting any better. I like the outlier communities- West Linn, Wilsonville, Forest Grove, Estacada, Sandy, Vancouver. Vancouver is in Washington and you don't have the oppressive Oregon State income tax, far less crime, much cheaper housing, lower property taxes and Portland (with all it may have to offer) just across the river.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:40 AM

There are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Portland to recommend but they are expensive, so we need to know OP's budget. West Linn schools are great but I'm not sure about the schools in the other communities mentioned above.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:36 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
There really are no safe neighborhoods in Portland that I could recommend. And with the advent of legalizing drugs, it isn't getting any better. I like the outlier communities- West Linn, Wilsonville, Forest Grove, Estacada, Sandy, Vancouver. Vancouver is in Washington and you don't have the oppressive Oregon State income tax, far less crime, much cheaper housing, lower property taxes and Portland (with all it may have to offer) just across the river.
There most certainly are safe neighborhoods in Portland, just as there are incredibly sketchy neighborhoods in Vancouver.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,127 times
Thanks for the input! As far as housing budget, I'd say up to $1,300 (for now). Is renting in that range even do-able? Housing is so different from what we're used to down here!

Neighborhoods I've looked into and will check out on our visit are: Sullivan's Gulch and Multnomah. I've read about staying away from the East side b/c of the crime. Any truth to that?

Old 08-28-2015, 02:41 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
There are areas in the NE with a bad reputation but the east side as a whole is by no means a high crime area.

You are in Texas? The Portland School District will kill for good teachers qualified to teach in Spanish immersion classrooms at the grade school level. We don't have a significant Hispanic population but many parents want their children to be fluent in Spanish.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:23 PM

Sadly $1300 a month is not going to go very far in Portland. You could get a studio or small one bedroom apartment in the safe, desirable areas for that.

The "east side" encompasses such a broad spectrum of neighborhoods, so there is no truth to needing to avoid the east side because of crime. Sullivan's Gulch, one of the neighborhoods you mention, is on the east side and well above your stated budget, full of $500,000+ homes and rentals going for several thousand a month. East of 82nd Ave does get dicey and you need to be much more careful about where you end up out that way.

Multnomah Village is on the west side and also desirable and likely priced over your range.

You *might* be able to find a 800-900 sq ft two bedroom apartment for $1300/mo in Portland proper, but with three kids you likely need at least three bedrooms. I don't know of anywhere that would be readily available for less than $2,000/mo, often much more.

There are areas in the farther suburbs that might have a 3 bedroom place for that price. But you will likely need two cars, and the neighborhoods are not going to be the walkable mixed use neighborhoods you are envisioning. I'm thinking parts of Beaverton, Tigard, and Happy Valley. Keep in mind schools in the Portland metro are very hit or miss; some are great, many are unacceptable. If you find rental listings you are interested in cross check the schools, check the sex offender registry, and feel free to inquire about specific neighborhoods/intersections here.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:02 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Vancouver is in Washington and you don't have the oppressive Oregon State income tax, far less crime, much cheaper housing, lower property taxes and Portland (with all it may have to offer) just across the river.
I can't speak to the accuracy of all of the above, but just to help the OP answer one key question she might anticipate: forget living in WA and commuting to OR. You will pay Oregon's state income tax, and for normal shopping trips, you'd chew up the tax savings on gas and headaches crossing the bridges with traffic and such. Plus, WA groceries aren't subject to the high sales tax anyway. So if you want to work in Van, I'd live on the WA side, and in Portland, live on the OR side.

For what it's worth, I'm acquainted with a very senior figure in the Vancouver school district, and I have the very strong sense that it will be a very good educational environment. My wife, who has known this person professionally for nearly two decades and respected her/him very much as a person who deals in good faith, concurs. Oregon's public education system is not doing too well. I think a fair number of vacancies that occur in Oregon might reasonably raise the question: "And why is it they are leaving to begin with?"

Old 08-29-2015, 03:50 PM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
Southwest Portland is fine. I have good friends who live there and raised there kids. So saying there are non in Portland is wrong. But outlying communities can be good. I prefer the westside. less problems with gangs and violence. I live in South Beaverton, getting spendy to live but safe and good schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland