Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 05:59 PM

27 posts, read 55,677 times

Advertisements

When you use a trimet pass do you just show it to the driver or do you have to scan it?

I received a trimet pass from a job, and I ended up leaving at the end of last week for another job. Obviously I knew I would have to return the pass but for some reason I was thinking it had to be withing a week and not a day. They're still asking if I'll return it even though they charged me for it, they are saying they'll attempt to cancel the request but they think it might be too late.

I'm completely fine with paying for the pass because it was my mistake to not return it within the 24 hours, but, if the pass will still work I'd like to hang onto it just in case I end up needing/wanting to use it.

They want me to return the pass whether I have to pay for it or not, and it just seems kind of weird to me that I'll have to return the pass even if I pay for it. But if you have to scan it to use it I'm sure it'll be cancelled and I won't be able to use it anyways, so then it wouldn't really matter.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 06:30 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
I'm pretty sure you just show it to a bus driver or to a MAX train inspector and they just glance to make sure it's valid for the current month. No scanning involved.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:44 PM

That's what I was thinking. They actually left me a voice mail today basically saying they were going to bill me if I didn't return it by the end of the day and that they were doing me a favor by not already doing so, and they would have been doing me a favor if that was true but when I called back they said they had already went through the process but said she would try and cancel it as soon as she got off the phone with me, but she was thinking it might be too late.

I asked if she could let me know after she called them because I want to keep the pass if I have to pay for it and she told me the pass wouldn't work anyways.

I don't really think she would purposely lie about that but I also don't think they'd have every single person that gets on a bus or train scan their pass.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I left Portland a year ago but unless things have changed on Tri Met there were no scanners on either buses or MAX. On the bus, you showed the driver your pass. On the MAX you just boarded and showed the fair inspector your pass if he came along and asked for it.

Here in Cleveland we have scanners on buses and light rail but even then there would be no way anyone could cancel a pass remotely. I don't know how this women could say the pass wouldn't work unless it was something special the company used between them and TriMet. As far as I know, companies I worked for what gave their employees passes just gave them regular passes.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:54 PM

I guess I'll just hang onto it unless they for sure aren't going to bill me.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland