Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:38 PM

62 posts, read 98,580 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I currently live in Sacramento, CA. I graduate from school next year with a Bachelor's degree in Communications and would love to move up north to live in Portland to endure some type of Marketing/Social media job. I have never visited before, but have been to Seattle a few times. I really like Portland from what I've seen because it's a smaller version of Seattle that still has that city feel but more of a smaller city feel to it, plus I truly admire the green lush scenary. From where I am living now in Sacramento, the summer heat here is brutal. It's a dry heat so not as bad as it being that warm and humid at the same time, but we had at least 15+ 100 degree days this summer and I cannot put up with the summer weather here for much longer as I am sensitive to the heat. Portland's summers seem to get hot, but not overly hot, definitely cooler than Sacs. My biggest concern is the winter weather in Portland. I do enjoy the rain (a lot more than sun) and my fair share of cloudy weather, but the extensive periods of weeks and weeks of not seeing the sun sounds pretty harsh. My question to people living in Portland right now, if you came from a place that sunny the majority of the year (such as Sacramento), how quickly did you acclimate to Portland's climate?

Also, how is the job market in Portland, especially in the Marketing and Communications field? I have done a few internships and have a few years of experience in my field. I am planning on moving up there after I graduate (I have some savings), and possibly renting a room out from someone in the Portland metro as this would be significantly cheaper than me trying to rent a place out for myself. I also have a vehicle, which makes things easier.

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 06:02 PM

300 posts, read 267,308 times
It's not as green and lush as you may think. The weather is pretty similar to Sacramento as of the last two years. All I see is dead grass everywhere I go. Very hot summers. Don't pay attention to the averages.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:53 AM

311 posts, read 348,179 times
The summers have been plenty hot and dry here. AC used to be completely optional here, but it's now a necessity for me, minimally for sleeping. There were plenty of days and weeks the past couple years that it was just too unpleasant to be out with my kids.

The winters don't really bother me but I've lived in the mid-atlantic and new England. January and February are the worst. I recommend living in a place with actual heat, not the awful cadet heaters so many places have. We have gas fired radiant heat now and it really helps things dry out.

The job market is really, really difficult. Most people underestimate how hard it will be. If you know someone already working somewhere you'd like to work your chances are much better because at least they can get your resume in front of the hiring manager vs. buried in a recruiter's inbox among 300 others.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
The summers have been plenty hot and dry here. AC used to be completely optional here, but it's now a necessity for me, minimally for sleeping.
And of course, in Sac A/C is pretty standard even in rentals. In Portland your average rental won't include A/C.

So even though you won't need A/C for as much of the year in Pdx vs. Sac, when you do need it you may not have it here.

Renting a room is still moderately "affordable," but having recently looked I'm seeing rates climbing towards $600-700/mo plus share of utils, at least inside the 205 belt. And that's a room, not an apt. Still perhaps doable on a 30k salary, but not cheap (>30% of take-home).

Old 09-23-2015, 10:41 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
I don't think it's a good idea for someone to blindly move to a city to which they have never been because they believe it is like another city. What is your idea of Portland "being a smaller version of Seattle?" That kind of stumped me. I don't think the two cities are all that much alike. Why not spend some time in Portland and see for yourself before you make the move?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't think it's a good idea for someone to blindly move to a city to which they have never been because they believe it is like another city. What is your idea of Portland "being a smaller version of Seattle?" That kind of stumped me. I don't think the two cities are all that much alike. Why not spend some time in Portland and see for yourself before you make the move?

Minervah's right. If the OP has enough money to move, the OP also has enough money to go on a one or two week scouting trip. That trip that would give the OP a little experience of Portland's ins and outs.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:53 PM

686 posts, read 804,768 times
weather: No better place to be from about July-Oct. Especially the fall. But the End of July- early Sept the sun is blazing and we have been 90+, hitting triple digits often. With that being said from the end of Oct - June, it is consistently grey and rains. Very little breaks of sunshine. But at least it isn't the NE.

COL: Extremely high and the job market isn't that great. Not sure about your field but overall its not good.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 PM

149 posts, read 181,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
It's not as green and lush as you may think. The weather is pretty similar to Sacramento as of the last two years. All I see is dead grass everywhere I go. Very hot summers. Don't pay attention to the averages.
Well said. It's only lush and green because of being watered these days. And one day this summer Portland was covered in smoke from the forest fires burning all over the state. Oh, and about that water: we're running low like everywhere else on the west coast. No snow in the mountains during the winters equals not much water running into the city.

And about that car that you said "would make things easier."

Where are you going to park it?

Some of these apartment buildings have NO parking. They leave you to fight over it on crowded streets.

I pay $150 a month to park mine, which is fairly typical. But if you don't park it somewhere secure, then all those nice skateboarder, occupy movement types running around Portland, well, those use those same skateboards to break your car windows, and rob you.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:07 PM

95 posts, read 116,755 times
Jeez, you'd think by reading this thread that we live in Beirut. Advance scouting and pre-job scouting are good advice, but compared to Sacramento, Portland is a lush, green oasis for someone who doesn't like the heat.

Maybe try applying for some jobs, and then if you land an interview, use the trip up to decide if you like it here? Or at least try to schedule some information interviews with local companies and make that into a vacation to check it out.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 PM

83 posts, read 181,457 times
As a former Sacramentan, I think you'll find the adjustment to the climate here no big deal, particularly if you're not so fond of the heat. It's still a Mediterranean climate, it's just a lot longer that its cool and wet. One thing that might surprise you about Portland is the weak job market. I actually think that Sacramento has Portland beat in that regard, even though the total number of jobs is a little bit less in Sacramento. Also, at this point Portland is going to seem fairly expensive compared to Sacramento, particularly when you take into account the wages paid in Portland. Good luck, and make sure you have landed a decent paying job before moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland