U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:44 PM

593 posts, read 415,174 times

Advertisements

Well good luck to you, I hope you find the perfect place you are seeking.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:25 PM

149 posts, read 133,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Well good luck to you, I hope you find the perfect place you are seeking.
Good luck to you as well. But honestly, I'm well too seasoned in life and in my travels to expect "perfect" from any place. I merely seek a slight tipping of the scales where the pro's outweigh the con's and the good outweighs the bad. With Portland, it's all tipped too far to con's and bad.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:23 PM

46,050 posts, read 30,303,178 times
Portland sounds awful....maybe more people should move away from this city, and inform those that don't live here to never move here.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:31 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,592,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
It's a lot better than it was a decade ago(and far better than it was after 2008 also). At least in terms of jobs that I would apply for or my wife would--and no, we aren't looking at service industry jobs. I see way more postings lately for a lot of companies that are hiring.
The job situation isn't awful. The metro grew 4800 jobs last month. That's roughly 2.5% of the jobs created throughout the whole country.

And even though they'll be service jobs, I'm guessing that the medical marijuana shops wiill go on an early hiring spree now that legal recreational sales have been moved to October.

The homeless situation needs some work. Maybe Vancouver becoming more lenient toward the homeless will encourage some of Portland's homeless to cross the river. Fresh meat and all that.

Housing costs are terrible. A lot of that resulted from apartments not being constructed during the recession, even though people didn't stop moving there.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:00 PM

310 posts, read 271,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
It's all a matter of perspective. To some people from CA, NYC and me from the PHL/SNJ area, Portland is a safe, cost effective, clean area compared to where we came from even with all its flaws.
Can you say more about your PHL/SNJ experience? What do you prefer about Portland? My husband and I are seriously researching the Philly suburbs (montgomery and bucks counties) because the housing is affordable and the schools superior. Also, we'd be near family.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 PM

21,697 posts, read 24,260,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
Good luck to you as well. But honestly, I'm well too seasoned in life and in my travels to expect "perfect" from any place. I merely seek a slight tipping of the scales where the pro's outweigh the con's and the good outweighs the bad. With Portland, it's all tipped too far to con's and bad.
I couldn't agree more. Of course no place is perfect but some are more perfect than others. It all depends upon the individual of course.

When I told people I was moving to Cleveland after living in Portland for almost four decades, they couldn't believe me. But it was absolutely the right move for me. I am happier than I have been for a long time because I don't have the struggles I had in Portland and there are some things here I couldn't get there.

Everyone has to find their own place. No one will find Heaven until they get to Heaven. In the meantime, you have to make do and find the closest thing to it.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:22 PM

69 posts, read 64,200 times
US population has gone up 64% in the past 50-years.. that is about 1.28% every year.. thus it is inevitable for things to become more and more congested with time (unless something very bad happens or a normative change occurs). Oh, I'm sure that there are some areas experiencing population decreases--but it has been a long, long time since I have heard anyone anywhere saying that traffic has improved. There will be more increase with time.. I think it best for us to get used to it as a fact of life.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:49 PM

300 posts, read 216,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
I'm coming up on a year in Portland now, so I thought would enlighten those dreaming of making the move.

My advice?

Don't do it.

Why do I say this?

1. I've never seen so many homeless people in my life. Portland is America's Homeless Camp. And it's perfectly legal. It's also disgusting and dangerous. There's literally hordes of seriously mentally ill people roaming the streets.

North Park Blocks: Summer of 'lawlessness' gets Portland's attention | OregonLive.com

Our Homeless Crisis: Portland Business Alliance urges City Hall to find more emergency beds | OregonLive.com

Portland police fired 5 beanbag shotgun shots at man with sword on riverfront, then left scene | OregonLive.com

2. Rents, rent increases, and home prices are out of control. Worse, there's no justification for it. Your landlord is constantly raising rents while you've got the homeless sleeping in front of your apartment building and breaking glass on the sidewalks.

Working class priced out, kicked out in new Portland housing boom | OregonLive.com

Is Portland the next San Francisco? 4 takeaways from Metro's discussion | OregonLive.com

3. Did they tell you about the "big earthquake" potential here? Do you know there's been a lack of building code to protect you from this coming earthquake?

The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker

The New Yorker follows up with earthquake, tsunami instructions, saying Portland faces enhanced threats | OregonLive.com

They didn't even have earthquake building codes at all until 1993.

Interactive map: How vulnerable are Portland's buildings in an earthquake? - The Oregonian

4. There's no shortage of gang activity, to include regular shootings.

More than 250 bullets flew in 30 gang violence calls in Portland this year | OregonLive.com

Suspected gang shootings 'coming in so fast' that police playing catch-up | OregonLive.com

5. The traffic is flat out awful, and the car insurance rates are high. And finding a place to park your car is a nightmare.

Portland drivers among the most collision-prone, report says | OregonLive.com

It's not your imagination: Portland highways are at or above capacity | OregonLive.com

As you can see, I backed up my comments about Portland with actual news articles about the things I complained about.
Truth

Old 09-25-2015, 12:55 AM

148 posts, read 148,478 times
The more people that see this the better, don't move here it sucks, LOL

Old 09-25-2015, 01:27 AM

46,050 posts, read 30,303,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
The more people that see this the better, don't move here it sucks, LOL
So true, worst city in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland