U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 02:23 PM

149 posts, read 133,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When I was living and working in Portland, I was approached by someone who was very high wanting money for more drugs. He said so while he threatened me. I was on the corner of Salmon and 12th waiting for the bus along side the Unitarian church. Fortunately for me, the cops were paroling that area and they grabbed him.

Then after I got a job in the heart of downtown the people at my bus stop were constantly being asked for money by beggars who knew they had a captive audience.

So what are people who want to work supposed to go? Jobs are downtown. You don't have to live there to be harassed on a daily basis and I think maybe women, especially older ones are more harassed than men because they appear to be more vulnerable.
I recently met another dowtown woman, another dog owner, whose little West Highland White Terrier had stitches all over his back. And I was like "oh my God, what happened to him?"

Turns out she was walking him in that exact area you are talking about and a homeless guy was sitting outside the church with this pit bull/mastiff mix dog (wearing a service dog vest no less), and that dog lunged at him, grabbed him by the back, lifted him up, shook him around, and then tossed him.

You'll see lots of nasty dogs, many of which are pit bulls downtown wearing service dog vests disguises.

The lady called the cops and animal control. NONE of them would do anything. And this despite the homeless guy who owned the dog threatening her for calling the cops also. Then he just disappeared into the church, who also refused to do anything. She of course got stuck with the vet bills. This happened in early September.

That's another piece of this conversation: the churches all over Portland that are sheltering these folks at night, and then kicking them out during the day. You'll see this playing out everyday on the Tom McCall waterfront. Hordes of homeless show up there to hang out each day as they wait for the shelters and churches to let them back in.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I understand that living in urban areas comes with the good and the bad, this is no different anywhere else. Head up to Seattle and you will see homeless in Belltown where the cost of urban housing is some of the highest.

In just about every city in have been to have had a mixture of the good and the bad. If one isn't prepared for that, then downtown isn't the best place for them. I lived on the edge of downtown Portland for about a decade, I saw plenty of good and bad things. It just never bothered me, if it bothers you, then that isn't a good place for you.
Actually, I have found that it does bother me, that's why I'm moving.

When I first got here last year, I felt sorry for the homeless. But as the year has went on I've become hardened and unsympathetic to them after witnessing the carnage they are causing. It's not like they're good neighbors. And being exposed to this as a woman if flat out bad for your own mental health.

You can only walk the streets of downtown Portland encountering broken beer, wine and liquor bottles, discarded heroin needles, empty food containers, trash cans emptied in their search for cans and bottles to return, cardboard and debris left in and under bushes and doorways where they've spent the night, and human feces on the steps of the downtown fountains and in doorways before you get outright disgusted with the whole mess.

Not to mention the outright, open harassment in the Park Blocks from mentally-ill schizophrenics that are walking around clothed in only a blanket. I had one such schizo screaming at me and my spouse in park one day and claiming that my dog had contaminated his water supply. The worst thing was there were two of those clown park rangers standing right there that did absolutely nothing about him.

Downtown is a nonstop freakshow, and nobody in charge is responsible.

"What has changed, they say, is the extent of menacing and illegal behavior in and near the Park Blocks, which for much of this summer went virtually unchecked."

"we've gotten huge, huge numbers of homeless gangs coming in and ... basically taking over the park. It's like nothing I've ever seen." Open drug use, drinking and sexual activity have been rampant in and around the park, she says. So have public urination and defecation, including in the doorways at her business and others, despite the presence of a Portland Loo nearby."

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/in..._misbehav.html

Last edited by Raisinet; 09-26-2015 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Added Link

Old 09-26-2015, 02:48 PM

21,697 posts, read 24,251,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
I recently met another dowtown woman, another dog owner, whose little West Highland White Terrier had stitches all over his back. And I was like "oh my God, what happened to him?"

Turns out she was walking him in that exact area you are talking about and a homeless guy was sitting outside the church with this pit bull/mastiff mix dog (wearing a service dog vest no less), and that dog lunged at him, grabbed him by the back, lifted him up, shook him around, and then tossed him.

You'll see lots of nasty dogs, many of which are pit bulls downtown wearing service dog vests disguises.

The lady called the cops and animal control. NONE of them would do anything. And this despite the homeless guy who owned the dog threatening her for calling the cops also. Then he just disappeared into the church, who also refused to do anything. She of course got stuck with the vet bills. This happened in early September.

That's another piece of this conversation: the churches all over Portland that are sheltering these folks at night, and then kicking them out during the day. You'll see this playing out everyday on the Tom McCall waterfront. Hordes of homeless show up there to hang out each day as they wait for the shelters and churches to let them back in.
You know what's funny. I worked in that area for 12 years. Back in the day when there were bars and an adult movie theater in the neighborhood. There was a vacant lot across the street from my office on 12th and Jefferson and empty store fronts where transients would sleep.

But no one ever bothered me as I walked to and from work. No threats not demand for money. And I walked from either the bus mall through the Park Blocks or from the Art Museum to my office every day during the week and some Saturdays.

It was only when those "landmarks" were plowed under and the new high rises were built that the area began to become dangerous and I met with these situations. I guess the bad guys followed the more well-to-do people who moved into the area. I don't know what that meant but it sure wasn't safe any longer.

A different type of homeless people or a different type of element. Whatever.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:52 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,591,166 times
I only feel bad for the natives who are impacted by the homeless problem. Transplants should know what they're getting into.

One way to stop the homeless problem is to ban cities like Vegas and Tampa/St.Petersburg from providing free transportation out of their turfs. They should actually provide service their own homeless.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:04 PM

46,050 posts, read 30,293,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
These people will continue to ignore that there are major problems here with the homeless. I've never seen anywhere with so many bums in my life.

If you're all so against doing anything about the problem, maybe you should be the first to open your doors and let them stay at your place, instead of having public sex and leaving drug needles all around our parks, they can do it in the comfort of your homes

Stay classy Portland.
Who is ignoring these problems? Though I do agree the city council hasn't done enough to address this issue.

Though your second part makes no sense, if someone is against doing something about a problem, why would they then want to open their homes to the problem?

Old 09-26-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I only feel bad for the natives who are impacted by the homeless problem. Transplants should know what they're getting into.
That's exactly the point of this thread, which is backed up by media articles for authenticity. People thinking of moving here need to know exactly what they're getting into - a big, nasty, high-rent mess.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:05 PM

21,697 posts, read 24,251,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post

One way to stop the homeless problem is to ban cities like Vegas and Tampa/St.Petersburg from providing free transportation out of their turfs. They should actually provide service their own homeless.
Which means they should come and stay awhile before deciding to make their move but a surprising number who post here state they are just moving without even ever having so much as one visit. I can't imagine anyone doing that anywhere because relocation is such a big step in someone's life.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, I have found that it does bother me, that's why I'm moving.

When I first got here last year, I felt sorry for the homeless. But as the year has went on I've become hardened and unsympathetic to them after witnessing the carnage they are causing. It's not like they're good neighbors. And being exposed to this as a woman if flat out bad for your own mental health.

You can only walk the streets of downtown Portland encountering broken beer, wine and liquor bottles, discarded heroin needles, empty food containers, trash cans emptied in their search for cans and bottles to return, cardboard and debris left in and under bushes and doorways where they've spent the night, and human feces on the steps of the downtown fountains and in doorways before you get outright disgusted with the whole mess.

Not to mention the outright, open harassment in the Park Blocks from mentally-ill schizophrenics that are walking around clothed in only a blanket. I had one such schizo screaming at me and my spouse in park one day and claiming that my dog had contaminated his water supply. The worst thing was there were two of those clown park rangers standing right there that did absolutely nothing about him.

Downtown is a nonstop freakshow, and nobody in charge is responsible.

"What has changed, they say, is the extent of menacing and illegal behavior in and near the Park Blocks, which for much of this summer went virtually unchecked."

"we've gotten huge, huge numbers of homeless gangs coming in and ... basically taking over the park. It's like nothing I've ever seen." Open drug use, drinking and sexual activity have been rampant in and around the park, she says. So have public urination and defecation, including in the doorways at her business and others, despite the presence of a Portland Loo nearby."

Time to say 'enough' to misbehavior in Portland's public spaces: Editorial Agenda 2015 | OregonLive.com
So what exactly were you expecting downtown Portland to be like when you first choose to live down there? We don't hide our issues, any visitor to Portland will see the good and bad to our city when they visit. For some of us it didn't bother us. Portland has been my home for almost 15 years and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else, and with that I accept what is good and bad here.

Portland isn't for everyone, and it sounds like downtown living in general might not be the best thing for you. Good luck with where you move to next.....where ever that may be because you haven't mentioned that part.....so when do you leave Portland? It sounds like you are ready to go any day now.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
That's exactly the point of this thread, which is backed up by media articles for authenticity. People thinking of moving here need to know exactly what they're getting into - a big, nasty, high-rent mess.
Well anyone could have told you that it is a big city, we have our own urban city problem just like anywhere else, and rents cost more than your typical Midwest city that might not have much of a downtown. We all make choices on what fits us best, this is why I always tell people to spend a lot of time visiting a place they are thinking about moving to.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what exactly were you expecting downtown Portland to be like when you first choose to live down there? We don't hide our issues, any visitor to Portland will see the good and bad to our city when they visit. For some of us it didn't bother us. Portland has been my home for almost 15 years and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else, and with that I accept what is good and bad here.

Portland isn't for everyone, and it sounds like downtown living in general might not be the best thing for you. Good luck with where you move to next.....where ever that may be because you haven't mentioned that part.....so when do you leave Portland? It sounds like you are ready to go any day now.
Actually, I did mention that.

//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...l#post41308000

And you're right, you don't hide the issues from visitors.

"Relatives from Texas were visiting the Oregon coast. When we drove into downtown Portland, they were shocked. "Why so many homeless people?" they asked. "We've never seen so many. There's more than in Dallas or cities in Michigan."

Has Portland become a haven for the homeless? (Letters to the Editor) | OregonLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland