U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 03:18 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,592,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
That's exactly the point of this thread, which is backed up by media articles for authenticity. People thinking of moving here need to know exactly what they're getting into - a big, nasty, high-rent mess.
But you can't roll into town and dictate how every person who who's been there longer has to deal with the homeless. I'm not sure that Portland wants to be known as a city that puts people in military-style camps.

That thought doesn't appeal to liberals or paranoid conservatives.

You moved to the wrong city if you expected that to be the thought process.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:25 PM

149 posts, read 133,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
But you can't roll into town and dictate how every person who who's been there longer has to deal with the homeless. I'm not sure that Portland wants to be known as a city that puts people in military-style camps.

That thought doesn't appeal to liberals or paranoid conservatives.

You moved to the wrong city if you expected that to be the thought process.
That's pretty funny when the locals solution to the homeless problem is to house them in the former jail.

Wapato Jail back in the conversation as a potential homeless shelter, a reentry center or a film studio | OregonLive.com

"He said some people regularly ask why the never-used Wapato Jail can't be used for shelter purposes."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ousing_em.html

Jails are much nicer places to store the homeless than military style camps, right?

Last edited by Raisinet; 09-26-2015 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Added Links

Old 09-26-2015, 03:48 PM

46,050 posts, read 30,309,117 times
Quote:
Actually, I did mention that.

//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...l#post41308000

And you're right, you don't hide the issues from visitors.

"Relatives from Texas were visiting the Oregon coast. When we drove into downtown Portland, they were shocked. "Why so many homeless people?" they asked. "We've never seen so many. There's more than in Dallas or cities in Michigan."

Has Portland become a haven for the homeless? (Letters to the Editor) | OregonLive.com
Well good luck with wherever in the southwest you are moving to, and please make sure you tell everyone you meet how horrible Portland is, and that no one should move here. Also, remember to tell stories of your experiences here to better push that point across to anyone thinking of moving here.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:34 PM

300 posts, read 216,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well good luck with wherever in the southwest you are moving to, and please make sure you tell everyone you meet how horrible Portland is, and that no one should move here. Also, remember to tell stories of your experiences here to better push that point across to anyone thinking of moving here.
I will. Your welcome

Old 09-26-2015, 06:06 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,365,058 times
Quote:
I only feel bad for the natives who are impacted by the homeless problem. Transplants should know what they're getting into.

One way to stop the homeless problem is to ban cities like Vegas and Tampa/St.Petersburg from providing free transportation out of their turfs. They should actually provide service their own homeless.
HAHA heck no, Vegas handles it exactly the way I would if I were in charge. They have a great city, with low taxes, low cost of living, and more amenities and things to do than anywhere in the world. No need to waste money on something stupid like homeless people. Free ride right out of town, preferably to some idiotic liberal city like SF or Portland, where 75% of the people are bleeding-heart liberals who will gladly welcome the homeless problem to their doorstep and approve some idiotic new tax to pay for "those poor people."

Vegas has the right idea!

Old 09-26-2015, 11:56 PM

148 posts, read 148,501 times
Quote:
I only feel bad for the natives who are impacted by the homeless problem. Transplants should know what they're getting into.

One way to stop the homeless problem is to ban cities like Vegas and Tampa/St.Petersburg from providing free transportation out of their turfs. They should actually provide service their own homeless.
You do realize that the term "skid row" originated in the PNW and don't feel bad for us, its always been like this. I feel bad for all of you that wasted all your time and money moving here.

The term originated in Portland and other logging towns in the Pacific Northwest. Faced with the difficult chore of dragging felled trees out of the forest to the mill, loggers built “skid roads” – roads paved with “skids,” usually railway ties or heavy wooden planks. The loggers discovered that the logs were far easier to move down the roads if the “skids” were greased, and the saying “grease the skids” became a popular metaphor to describe speeding up a process.

“Skid Road” also became associated with the part of town where the loggers typically lived. These areas were characterized by bars and flop houses, the “skid roads” were magnets for poor, often alcoholic, transient workers, said to be “on the skids.”

Burnside street, now Portland’s busiest street, was used as a skid road. Loggers would “skid” logs down Burnside and load them onto boats on the Willamette River. Over time the term “skid road” evolved to “skid row.”

Old 09-27-2015, 01:39 AM

609 posts, read 659,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I'm amazed by how bad it is getting on weekends - at least as far as I-5 is concerned. I headed downtown from Vancouver around 12:30 on Sunday and northbound traffic rivaled that of rush hour! Coming home just after 5:00, there was a solid backup to get onto 84 E from the I-5 split. I seem to be seeing that more and more on the weekends and am getting to the point where I avoid I-5 in favor of I-205/84. The last time I met a friend after work on a weekday downtown for happy hour, I left Vancouver at 4:15 and got to the restaurant just after 5:00. It took me 20 minutes to go the last 3 miles due to congestion from 84 onto the I-5 split.
I drove from 238th in gresham to St. John's today saturday and traffic was stopped on both I5 and 205 north. Inching along. This was at 4 pm.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
I drove from 238th in gresham to St. John's today saturday and traffic was stopped on both I5 and 205 north. Inching along. This was at 4 pm.
That's Vancouver traffic for you. We should be running light rail over both bridges and possibly have a third connection by now.....but instead we just have traffic.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:50 AM

149 posts, read 133,933 times
"Portland police are investigating a suspected gang-related shooting in downtown Portland early Sunday that turned into a land-and-air pursuit of two suspects."

Downtown Portland shooting sparks police chase, air and ground search for suspects | OregonLive.com

Rent increases are clearly not warranted. This was in the very heart of downtown.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
"Portland police are investigating a suspected gang-related shooting in downtown Portland early Sunday that turned into a land-and-air pursuit of two suspects."

Downtown Portland shooting sparks police chase, air and ground search for suspects | OregonLive.com

Rent increases are clearly not warranted. This was in the very heart of downtown.
What does the cost of a high end apartment have to do with this? If someone is willing to pay those high costs, then landlords are going to charge those prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland