Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:57 PM

149 posts, read 179,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I know for a fact the people in the mayors office read city-data and sometimes post here for whatever reasons.

There have been too many coincidences.

The latest example is a huge thread on the homeless problem gets started, then all of a sudden boom! the mayor announces a huge expensive plan to fix things.

All in one week or so.

Coincidence? Maybe.

But I'm cynical enough to think not.
Funny that you mention this, and I in my case if this is true, then I suspect the Mayor's office realizes that as the author of this thread that they know me personally. That's because, in addition to discussing this here, I've had this exact conversation with them.

And I've had this conversation on an even deeper level with the Mayor's office than we've discussed here, which is LGBT harassment and the homeless population.

And during one particular phone conversation with the Mayor's office, I had what I'm assuming is a gay male that works on the Mayor's staff tell me that he's also been harassed by the homeless for being gay.

So, I'm sad to report that while Portland holds itself out as an "LGBT safe zone," and while that's largely true, all of, and the only, outright harassment and threats of violence that I've endured since coming here have all come from the Mayor's pet homeless population, which he to date has refused to reign in.

As a transgender woman it's downright scary dealing with these whacko schizophrenics running around downtown.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:00 AM

Let's do a little myth busting.

Myth: Portland's homeless population are Oregonians that deserve everyone's sympathy.

Fact: Meet the latest murderers to show up from out of state to blend in with Portland's homeless community.

Homeless drifters arrested in Portland for murder now accused of 2nd homicide | OregonLive.com

Old 10-10-2015, 12:16 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,879,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
Let's do a little myth busting.

Myth: Portland's homeless population are Oregonians that deserve everyone's sympathy.

Fact: Meet the latest murderers to show up from out of state to blend in with Portland's homeless community.

Homeless drifters arrested in Portland for murder now accused of 2nd homicide | OregonLive.com
Thanks for the link! I have been on this forum for years saying that the homeless youth are aggressive and scary. I am from S.F. and I was harassed by homeless punks in the early 90's before I moved to NYC. Not all of these guys are mentally ill. Some are sociopaths and criminals.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Thanks for the link! I have been on this forum for years saying that the homeless youth are aggressive and scary. I am from S.F. and I was harassed by homeless punks in the early 90's before I moved to NYC. Not all of these guys are mentally ill. Some are sociopaths and criminals.
Yeah, at this point I'm just hoping to make it out of Portland without any further incidents.

My dog almost got it this afternoon. My spouse and I were walking in the North Park Blocks on the park sidewalk talking, and out of nowhere a Pitbull owned by one of the homeless jumped out from under a park bench and lunged at my little dog. This thing was growling and snarling and clearly very aggressive. And classic Portland homeless style, it was just chained to the park bench.

And this is what you get while living in downtown apartments that cost anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 (or more) per month.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:45 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,879,053 times
Quote:
Yeah, at this point I'm just hoping to make it out of Portland without any further incidents.

My dog almost got it this afternoon. My spouse and I were walking in the North Park Blocks on the park sidewalk talking, and out of nowhere a Pitbull owned by one of the homeless jumped out from under a park bench and lunged at my little dog. This thing was growling and snarling and clearly very aggressive. And classic Portland homeless style, it was just chained to the park bench.

And this is what you get while living in downtown apartments that cost anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 (or more) per month.
Read reviews about our dog runs/ parks in Portland and it's shocking how many dogs are attacked by pitbulls whose owners are not homeless... but are really bad dog owners.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:38 AM

148 posts, read 177,493 times
Quote:

We all can't wait for to "make it out of Portland"

Old 10-10-2015, 01:42 AM

166 posts, read 132,534 times
Quote:
October 29th is the big day.

Yay!

I can only describe it as feeling like I have a vacation coming up.

I keep trying to enjoy my remaining time, especially on the sunny days, but then I'll run into a schizophrenic walking around in a blanket in the Park Blocks, or see the freak shows that have a shopping cart piled ten feet high with hoarded garbage on the corners. And I'm left thinking: why aren't these people institutionalized?
I am so jealous, I can't wait to get away from these gloomy days, the garbage smell, the lazy liberals looking for the next handout, and the junkies that sleep on the streets. I am so sorry you got suckered into thinking this place would be a great place to live just like I did. I think it is so important to really put it out there how much Portland sucks and isn't worth the hype.

If people want Portland, just buy Portlandia and enjoy laughing at this city from a much better place.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I seriously think most of these gutter rats belong in prison, not on the streets harassing people trying to make a living. As much as I hate the trust fund liberals here who think the world owes them everything. These homeless junkies should be arrested by the masses and thrown behind bars.

It is sick that Portland just accepts them and let's them act like they own this city.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:58 PM

190 posts, read 178,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntorun1180 View Post
I am so jealous, I can't wait to get away from these gloomy days, the garbage smell, the lazy liberals looking for the next handout, and the junkies that sleep on the streets. I am so sorry you got suckered into thinking this place would be a great place to live just like I did. I think it is so important to really put it out there how much Portland sucks and isn't worth the hype.

If people want Portland, just buy Portlandia and enjoy laughing at this city from a much better place.
You're exactly right. And someone else I know just left Portland for Indianapolis.. she eventually learned it would not be a great place and I think I had to be there to warn her. She finally got it though and got the hell out. She tells me shes happier in Indianapolis and they hand out jobs literally there, that's how many of them there are. If you can get beyond the bad winters, it can be a great place from what I seen and heard.

And its very true, buy Portlandia and laugh at it from afar or a better location. But you know something,I saw the TV Portland on my visit more, the hippies, the weirdos into spontaneous bs, the artsy types. I Thought it was cool up close and person but then again I was less mature also but I did see Portland from a higher money perspective when I visited but once I started to live there, it all went out the window and did not see that world plus it was 2 yrs later or 3 nearly when I went back thinking it would be that cool again. I had a few different life objectives once I went back though and I feel that made a difference. I was more rooted in reality, not running up my credit cards like I used to. If you're in the land of make believe, a grown adolescent, have someone to bail you out from your mistakes to enable your existence there, then Portland is a great place.. but if you want to be normal.. STAY OUT.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovanniTheGreat View Post
You're exactly right. And someone else I know just left Portland for Indianapolis.. she eventually learned it would not be a great place and I think I had to be there to warn her. She finally got it though and got the hell out. She tells me shes happier in Indianapolis and they hand out jobs literally there, that's how many of them there are. If you can get beyond the bad winters, it can be a great place from what I seen and heard.

And its very true, buy Portlandia and laugh at it from afar or a better location. But you know something,I saw the TV Portland on my visit more, the hippies, the weirdos into spontaneous bs, the artsy types. I Thought it was cool up close and person but then again I was less mature also but I did see Portland from a higher money perspective when I visited but once I started to live there, it all went out the window and did not see that world plus it was 2 yrs later or 3 nearly when I went back thinking it would be that cool again. I had a few different life objectives once I went back though and I feel that made a difference. I was more rooted in reality, not running up my credit cards like I used to. If you're in the land of make believe, a grown adolescent, have someone to bail you out from your mistakes to enable your existence there, then Portland is a great place.. but if you want to be normal.. STAY OUT.
Exactly! More people need to read this forum before moving to Portland because they really need to be warned about the mistake they will soon be making if they move here. I have been to Tampa before on business, that place hands down is a much better and more lively than this cesspool of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland