Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,880,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
I like the Washington Park area, its just strange how you are in woods and then boom, downtown!
The Rose Garden is tops for me! It's a place that is beautiful and not terribly touristy in the morning. Our zoo and Japanese Garden are also incredible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 AM

166 posts, read 132,661 times
The nature and topography in the northwest is really beautiful.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:28 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,588,812 times
For me:

-On the river is incredibly pretty. I love to watch the river during the day, or at night, almost at night even more. It's just very peaceful and I love water in general, so a city right on the river is pretty cool by my book for that reason.
-I do love being able to walk downtown really so easily. That was NOT at all the case in Downtown L.A. nor would you want to do so. I have routinely walked from my place on the waterfront up to 23rd to grab food or drinks or visit my sister, and I've walked all the way to the South Waterfront area to go on my dad's boat, or to Burnside for Powell's or whatever else. You can seriously walk almost everywhere without it being a huge deal on a nice day. It's pretty awesome.
-The best breweries anywhere. You cannot possibly try all of the incredible beers on tap and it's really something different from many cities where there just isn't much selection of anything good.
-Almost no humidity in Portland. When I say humidity, I mean "trouble breathing" humidity like Hawaii and Orlando during the summer, or much of the South, etc. I really hate humidity.
-Not really any dangerous bugs or snakes here. No disgusting cockroaches that I've ever seen in my 32 years being in Portland or visiting Portland (for the 4 I didn't live here), no scary snakes, nothing like that.
-No hurricanes, no tornadoes.
-A short drive to the coast or to a mountain. I don't love the Oregon Coast but it's still nice, in my opinion, and I have many fond memories of the Oregon Coast since we used to have a vacation home there growing up (in Lincoln City). It's just fun to walk the beach, watch the waves, it's very peaceful. Something about water in general is peaceful but oceans are awesome.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,304,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The Rose Garden is tops for me! It's a place that is beautiful and not terribly touristy in the morning. Our zoo and Japanese Garden are also incredible!
I like the hike through the Arboretum from the Oregon Zoo area up through the hills(interesting at different times of the year when the trees are blooming or fall colors) all the way to the Wildwood trail and then over the the Japanese Garden and Rose Garden. Then if we still have energy we'll walk down through the lower part of the park into Goose Hollow area. Really beautiful areas and good civic planning by Portland back in the day.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:25 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,880,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I like the hike through the Arboretum from the Oregon Zoo area up through the hills(interesting at different times of the year when the trees are blooming or fall colors) all the way to the Wildwood trail and then over the the Japanese Garden and Rose Garden. Then if we still have energy we'll walk down through the lower part of the park into Goose Hollow area. Really beautiful areas and good civic planning by Portland back in the day.
This is what I need to start doing now that my kids are pretty much settled in to their new schools. It's a short drive from Beaverton and I have "discovered" the back roads! No more stressing because of an accident on the freeways. I think I will try that hike and honestly, most of Winter isn't that cold so my rain gear and a warm hat and under layers should be fine. I promised myself that I would do more activities outdoors. The Ja for the tip!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:12 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,304,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
This is what I need to start doing now that my kids are pretty much settled in to their new schools. It's a short drive from Beaverton and I have "discovered" the back roads! No more stressing because of an accident on the freeways. I think I will try that hike and honestly, most of Winter isn't that cold so my rain gear and a warm hat and under layers should be fine. I promised myself that I would do more activities outdoors. The Ja for the tip!
You're welcome! It's a nice area to explore, especially if you go in the fall(leaves should still be turning right now). I like the drive up from the westside too, there's a point where you climb into the hills on the backside of the Arbortetum and you can almost forget you're in the middle of 2.3 million person metro--it just looks like you're in the middle of Coast Range hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland