Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:22 AM

320 posts, read 416,334 times

Advertisements

So I know there is an old thread about what people love or hate about Portland. But it's several years old, and lately I have noticed a change on this forum. It seems most of the threads are focused on the negatives of Portland. Yes, they exist.....the increased traffic, rising COL, homeless, etc. However, to balance things out a little (and for fun), lets focus on only the positive for a change!

With that said, What do you really like or even better yet LOVE about Portland?

I'll start:
- I love the scenery! You just can't beat the natural beauty surrounding Portland.
- The Location. Portland is in such a great spot. Right next to the Columbia River Gorge, 1 1/2 hours to the coast and Mount Hood. 2 1/2 hours to Seattle. A few hours to the amazing Olympic Peninsula etc.
- The Food! So many great restaurants, so little time!
- Forest Park...enough said.
- Washington park
- The very walkable downtown area.
- The architecture! I love the mix of historical and modern buildings. I love the abundance of old homes with character and front porches.
- The weather! Yep...I said it. I know there are downsides, but I am a fan of cooler weather and cloudy skies. I love that you can get out and be active without overheating. It's invigorating!

I could go on...but it's your turn now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
The airport of course!

It is GREAT to get away! (for very cheap / often)... When Hobo Air (Spirit) was doing $19.10 direct to San Diego sun breaks were very often.
Last week was Frontier $25 to Denver, I booked a few 2016 winter sunbreaks.

I love living in the gorge, except for the miserable daily surveillance of being under the noses and 'discernment' of the "Friends of the Gorge", who make your 'home(?) life' VERY miserable.

One thing about living in or near Oregon... you KNOW your friends and neighbors know what is the right way for you to think and act! Bonus... you don't have to think for yourself! I only have 32 yrs experience here, being chased from Colorado in 1980 by similar well meaning citizens (deciding it was far better to convert my home ranch into a county park).

Yes a very nice area, the silence and beauty of the Columbia Gorge is nice to retreat to, and fall season is especially wonderful... but our ability to live and enjoy our present home is limited by the 'dreams' and aspirations of those hell-bent to extinguish our privilege of doing so. This too is temporary, so I am enjoying every minute.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The airport of course!

It is GREAT to get away! (for very cheap / often)... When Hobo Air (Spirit) was doing $19.10 direct to San Diego sun breaks were very often.
Last week was Frontier $25 to Denver, I booked a few 2016 winter sunbreaks.

I love living in the gorge, except for the miserable daily surveillance of being under the noses and 'discernment' of the "Friends of the Gorge", who make your 'home(?) life' VERY miserable.

One thing about living in or near Oregon... you KNOW your friends and neighbors know what is the right way for you to think and act! Bonus... you don't have to think for yourself! I only have 32 yrs experience here, being chased from Colorado in 1980 by similar well meaning citizens (deciding it was far better to convert my home ranch into a county park).

Yes a very nice area, the silence and beauty of the Columbia Gorge is nice to retreat to, and fall season is especially wonderful... but our ability to live and enjoy our present home is limited by the 'dreams' and aspirations of those hell-bent to extinguish our privilege of doing so. This too is temporary, so I am enjoying every minute.
Good effort StealthRabbit? LOL How about some actual (though I do love sarcasm)positivity now people, without any negativity. We know everyone here can point out the bad....I'm looking for the good darn it! You can do it!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:47 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,891,847 times
I love the community that exists in the Portland Metro and the quality of teachers. My kids have had very caring and well educated teachers which may be a testament to the education programs throughout the state. I appreciate the fact that my kids can be kids still in Oregon and there is always some kind of community event going on and once a family is settled here... every weekend can be busy if you choose it to be.

I love the fact that people tend to RSVP and stick to it! People tend to be on time, as well. There is way less flakiness in this area compared to areas South of here, where I am from. It is great that kids' birthday parties are attended my parents in many cases so community and friendship is fostered.

I love gardening in Portland area and so many plants and flowers easily grow here. Gardening is almost a sport in Portland IMO.

I love that the general lifestyle in the Portland metro is geared towards a great quality of life rather than accumulating things. My hubby loves his Suburau and we don't feel out of place driving nice but not flashy cars. It's the norm here except a few places where you can count the expensive vehicles, which are probably leased.

I love the fact that I am living on the West coast, where I grew up, and I am rearing my kids on this coast now. I am so glad that my kids wake up everyday to real beauty and a calmer environment compared to the busy NE.

Oh, and I LOVE the coffee here and Freddy's has grown on me... especially the garden department.

We also have an excellent airport!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:50 AM

677 posts, read 872,645 times
Trees, trees, trees! And medical marijuana.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I love the community that exists in the Portland Metro and the quality of teachers. My kids have had very caring and well educated teachers which may be a testament to the education programs throughout the state. I appreciate the fact that my kids can be kids still in Oregon and there is always some kind of community event going on and once a family is settled here... every weekend can be busy if you choose it to be.

I love the fact that people tend to RSVP and stick to it! People tend to be on time, as well. There is way less flakiness in this area compared to areas South of here, where I am from. It is great that kids' birthday parties are attended my parents in many cases so community and friendship is fostered.

I love gardening in Portland area and so many plants and flowers easily grow here. Gardening is almost a sport in Portland IMO.

I love that the general lifestyle in the Portland metro is geared towards a great quality of life rather than accumulating things. My hubby loves his Suburau and we don't feel out of place driving nice but not flashy cars. It's the norm here except a few places where you can count the expensive vehicles, which are probably leased.

I love the fact that I am living on the West coast, where I grew up, and I am rearing my kids on this coast now. I am so glad that my kids wake up everyday to real beauty and a calmer environment compared to the busy NE.

Oh, and I LOVE the coffee here and Freddy's has grown on me... especially the garden department.

We also have an excellent airport!
Love this!

Old 09-24-2015, 03:55 PM

30 posts, read 31,120 times
I was looking at one of the negative posts you were referring to, and typing up a comment on that...but decided
to reply to this one first. Here are a few things I like, somealready mentioned:

Weather: I enjoy the weather here, and not just summertime. I like how their is four distinct seasons and am not bothered by day after day of grey in the fall/winter. What I like most is that its not too extreme on either end. Portland doesn't have 100+ degree days all summer, nor is it below freezing everyday in the winter. Heating/AC costs at least for me are never out of control as in some parts of the country.

Grocery Stores: I feel there is a wide variety whether its Albertsons/Safeway/Fred Meyer/QFC/Winco, or New Seasons/Trader Joes/Whole Foods, etc. Lots of smaller places to shop at on top of that. Also that we have so few Walmarts within city limits is a plus in my book.

Location: Close to the gorge, Multnomah Falls, and the Oregon coast. 3.5 hour train ride to Seattle. 2 hour flight to Las vegas or Los Angeles. 5 hour flight to Hawaii. Reno/Bay Area also not terribly far away. A lot of places to travel to and get some sun even during the dreary months.

I've never felt a keeping up with the jones vibe living in Portland. You see some nice flashy vehicles every now and then but I don't feel the city is overrun with that. Might just be my personal experience, however.

No sales tax

Bull Run watershed & having good drinking water here

Old 09-25-2015, 07:49 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,177,454 times
I visited Portland two weeks ago to see my daughter. I haven't been to the PNW for 25 years. Portland is a lovely city. Very European. I loved it and the people I met were so nice and polite ... opening doors, servers in restaurants very personable, just seemed people were happy overall. We even took the city buses into downtown. Same impression.

The mountains and coast nearby for hikes and camping. Spent a night in a "Yurt" along the coast. If I could afford it I'd move there in a second! Gorgeous area with so much to offer.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:50 AM

616 posts, read 642,720 times
its nice to hear some good things once and a while

Old 09-25-2015, 10:06 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
I wasn't specifically drawn to anything in Portland, but was really drawn to the overall state's beauty and outdoor opportunities.

As for Portland itself, I am a "mid-sized city" type of guy so I consider Portland the largest "mid-sized city" in the country. So, I like the city and metro area's size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland