Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:03 PM

82 posts, read 146,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicamck View Post
Yes, we've been doing lots of research. It's hard because the economy is so good out here. Houses are affordable. But property tax is so expensive out here, so that does negate some of the savings. But you still get a much older, smaller house out there. We are planning a scouting trip to look around. We have friends that just came back and are IN LOVE with the area. I just don't want to live in an area that is so hot for half the year.
If you are looking for a break on property taxes you will not find it in the Portland area. They are quite expensive here - especially Multnomah County. Make sure to check some of the threads dealing with utility costs as well. The water bills, in particular, can be kind of shocking if you aren't used to them.

Another thing to consider is that it sometimes gets pretty hot here during the summer (seems like the last couple of summers have been warmer than usual...) and central air conditioning is not common.

Just be certain you know what you are getting yourself into. Oregon definitely is beautiful but it ain't cheap...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 11:19 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
$200,000 really won't buy you any property, even a condo in any decent neighborhood anywhere in the entire Portland metro area on the Oregon side of the river, and it will barely buy you a condo even in the most sketchy of areas.

Maybe look at Vancouver area, your money will go further there but if you get jobs in downtown Portland your commute will be terrible.

Have you looked at the major cities in the mid-west? The cost of living would be much more comparable to Texas. Portland is rapidly getting un-affordable for any household making less than $100,000 a year and it's only going to get worse in the coming years.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:08 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Actually, I think this area is better for lower- middle class families than other cities because of the general LOWER crime rate and if a school district is carefully chosen, kids from lower income homes receive the same education as upper middle class homes. There are also many free programs, activities and parks/ outdoor events available to lower income families. There is also a more down to earth attitude here which helps families that cannot afford trendy, expensive clothes and shoes for school. Not having money can be difficult no matter where you live.
Once upon a time, maybe, but right now I don't see that at all, and I say that as someone living it.

Though to clarify I'm talking a family of 3-4 making 38-65k (estimated U.S. median is around 54k). They'd be far better off in KC or Cleveland, etc. where you can buy a nice house in an excellent district for $180k.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Once upon a time, maybe, but right now I don't see that at all, and I say that as someone living it.

Though to clarify I'm talking a family of 3-4 making 38-65k (estimated U.S. median is around 54k). They'd be far better off in KC or Cleveland, etc. where you can buy a nice house in an excellent district for $180k.
I agree about the cost of housing but not about the crime rate. Also, the quality of life is great on the West coast and if you go to a junior college and then to a state university out this way there are many opportunities. The costs of a college education is pretty affordable in Oregon for residents. These are important things to consider, not just the cost of buying a house. For some families, buying property may not be an option when they are young but maybe when kids are older and educated, the parents can move where housing is cheap and retire. I know many families that had to this in CA growing up as they couldn't afford property in SF during the 80's even, but waited and moved to Reno to buy a house and retire. The social environment that you rear your kids is important and just being able to buy a house in an area is not reason enough to move to a city that doesn't fit the rest of my criteria for a desirable place to live. A family of four can rent an apartment and save every month so one day home ownership is possible in this area. Drive old cars and take Tri-met, get free and reduced lunch meals at school, and cook meals at home. There are options.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:25 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I agree about the cost of housing but not about the crime rate. Also, the quality of life is great on the West coast and if you go to a junior college and then to a state university out this way there are many opportunities. The costs of a college education is pretty affordable in Oregon for residents.
I didn't speak directly to the crime rate. Overall Portland is 'safer' than KC or Cleveland, sure, but that's a function of KC/Cle both having "very bad" areas that drag down the overall rate. Both cities have plenty of areas that are quite safe and yet still affordable for the middle class.

Quality of life on the west coast is fine, but it's fine in the midwest as well.

Though I do enjoy not having to deal with mosquitoes.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:03 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I didn't speak directly to the crime rate. Overall Portland is 'safer' than KC or Cleveland, sure, but that's a function of KC/Cle both having "very bad" areas that drag down the overall rate. Both cities have plenty of areas that are quite safe and yet still affordable for the middle class.

Quality of life on the west coast is fine, but it's fine in the midwest as well.

Though I do enjoy not having to deal with mosquitoes.
I moved from SF to NYC in the 90's and have been blessed to to do so when cities in the U.S., in general, were pretty affordable. Most NYers told me that if they ever left NYC the only place they could live is S.F., at least long term. The thought was that people from the coasts can't live that easily in other parts of the country very well. It's like you are brought up in a bubble of sorts. As much as could see myself loving the lifestyle in Michigan... adjusting to the Mid-Western culture may not be as easy as it seems. Honestly, at this point in my life... if I had to sell my house and live in an apartment with my kids in Portland area vs. moving to a cheaper, Mid-Western house that I owned, I would live in the apartment. There are so many difficulties as a renter but you know I know dozens of families in NYC that rent, save money and plan on buying a small house in Nantucket or Southern Maine for retirement. Buying a house is ideal when one has kids but truly the most important criteria for me is that I give my kids an excellent quality of life. I would rather live in a small space and have my kids go to great public schools and make friends that share common values. There is a reason families keep moving here. I know a family from CA that moved a few years ago for a job transfer and they rent a two bedroom. They are very happy here and maybe someday they will buy property but for now they are giving their kids a solid chance at a real childhood. Priceless.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:26 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
I don't know of any safe neighborhoods good for a family in the Portland metro where you could buy a house for $300,000 let alone $200,000. You might be able to get a condo in the mid 200s but you'd need to act fast and put in an offer the same day it gets listed. Condos also come with HOA fees that can increase your monthly payment considerably.
I wouldn't go that far. In May, we bought a nice 3-bedroom in Aloverton for $282,500. Kids play in our cul de sac. It's a great place for a family, which might explain why several have lived here for 10+ years. Yeah, it's spendy, but there are good safe neighborhoods that don't require a $300K purchase.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:18 PM

311 posts, read 348,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I wouldn't go that far. In May, we bought a nice 3-bedroom in Aloverton for $282,500. Kids play in our cul de sac. It's a great place for a family, which might explain why several have lived here for 10+ years. Yeah, it's spendy, but there are good safe neighborhoods that don't require a $300K purchase.
Are you talking about Aloha? Yes the houses are affordable but I haven't heard anything great about the schools. I've heard and my research confirms the schools are not at all what we are looking for. Aloha is also really quite far out and would be a horrible commute for my husband.

ETA: Because I know some might be curious what I'm referring to... let's just look at Aloha High School. One site ranks it 5/10. Another ranks it 252nd out of 292 Oregon high schools. According to Oregon Live, only 44% "meet or exceed standards" in English and 19% in math. Coupled with the stories I've heard through the Portland parents grapevine and I know that is not the school feed for us even if we could get a bigger house there.

Last edited by VelouriaPDX; 10-01-2015 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: add stats

Old 10-01-2015, 01:56 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
Are you talking about Aloha? Yes the houses are affordable but I haven't heard anything great about the schools. I've heard and my research confirms the schools are not at all what we are looking for. Aloha is also really quite far out and would be a horrible commute for my husband.

ETA: Because I know some might be curious what I'm referring to... let's just look at Aloha High School. One site ranks it 5/10. Another ranks it 252nd out of 292 Oregon high schools. According to Oregon Live, only 44% "meet or exceed standards" in English and 19% in math. Coupled with the stories I've heard through the Portland parents grapevine and I know that is not the school feed for us even if we could get a bigger house there.
I'm in the Beaverton School District, I'm pretty sure. I think kids where I live go to Aloha, but I think a few blocks east they go someplace else. In my case, I have a Beaverton address but am outside the city limits.

Considering the state of public education in Oregon, if Aloha's HS ranks 252 out of 292, that must be a sad situation indeed. This state needs to care about education as much as it cares about making people recycle.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:55 AM

190 posts, read 180,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Oregon is no cheaper than the east coast; in fact it's cost of living is right on par with the more expensive metro areas there. You can live in Pennsylvania for a fraction of what it costs to live here. By the way, the one bedroom condos where I live on the outskirts of Portland are going for 200k. Do your research before you move. Good luck!
I second this, as someone anti Portland growth, I will also recommend him to go to Pennsylvania. A better quality of life can be had in Pittsburgh and its half the cost of Portland now I'd say. It is an old city, Steel City, you will get Iron City Beer vs the microbrews but a business oriented city with more jobs, YES more jobs than Portland. But can you hack the extreme winters out there? If so I would go with Pittsburgh as roads are more well maintained than rural PA. I know I lived it out there but I also went to Portland and it didn't work out so, I can tell this guy right now he wants Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland