Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
I would never have minded an occasional polite bottle collector. I did mind the angry and more menacing ones, like I said, at least 20 a day within a few feet of our back door. Many were harmless, some definitely weren't. Now it doesn't effect me at all because our recycling is behind a locked gate.
That usually solves the problem if and when there is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 04:18 PM

149 posts, read 181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
I would never have minded an occasional polite bottle collector. I did mind the angry and more menacing ones, like I said, at least 20 a day within a few feet of our back door. Many were harmless, some definitely weren't. Now it doesn't effect me at all because our recycling is behind a locked gate.
Oh, Wow. It's sad you've been forced to lock up what is essentially state taxed trash.

I wish Oregon would do away with the bottle tax and switch to paying people to sort it at transfer stations. The state could still get the money for the metals. Let inmates work there for a wage.

If someone makes a decent wage, it's not worth their time and effort to endure a bottle return to get one or two dollars back of their $50k income.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Nah, I am cool with the bottle and can tax in Oregon. It does help promote recycling.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:23 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I think the deposit should be raised and more containers included, the current deposit makes returning them hardly worth the effort. A large bag rarely returns $2.00. If as a result more street people pick those containers they have earned the deposit.

I don't know about places other than Fred Meyer and Costco but there the deposit receipt must be cashed at the store. IMHO those retailers should give a bonus if the deposit is spent on nourishing food or a coupon for a meal at Sisters of the Road Cafe.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:00 PM

846 posts, read 609,650 times
I would rather use the army of untapped workforce currently sitting in jail cells for picking up the trash, park maintenance, and other laborious chores. But, I don't think that will happen. So, I guess deposits on cans and bottles does work in a small measure.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
I'm curious what others thoughts are on Oregon's Hobo Tax, aka. the bottle and can return deposit required on beverages sold in the state.
I think that is a ridiculously negative spin on the bottle bill. At this point you are really reaching for negative points. The bottle helped, quite a bit, with roadside trash when it went in. Does it create problems for people who live in dense urban neighborhoods? Maybe, can't say because that is not where I - and a lot of other Oregonians - live.

In my local area they went to the all-in-one recycling center which works pretty well - takes bottles, cans from all the local stores and they will hand-count anything not in the system. Most of the machines are up, it is regularly hosed out and doesn't smell (too) bad. It isn't somewhere you want to go on the weekends due to lines. Much better than the stores and the often mostly-out-of-order centers.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM

149 posts, read 181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I think that is a ridiculously negative spin on the bottle bill. At this point you are really reaching for negative points. The bottle helped, quite a bit, with roadside trash when it went in. Does it create problems for people who live in dense urban neighborhoods? Maybe, can't say because that is not where I - and a lot of other Oregonians - live.

In my local area they went to the all-in-one recycling center which works pretty well - takes bottles, cans from all the local stores and they will hand-count anything not in the system. Most of the machines are up, it is regularly hosed out and doesn't smell (too) bad. It isn't somewhere you want to go on the weekends due to lines. Much better than the stores and the often mostly-out-of-order centers.
So you don't live in Portland or a dense area, and you can't really say how the bottle bill is affecting us here: have I got that right?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
In my neighborhood we have one old Asian lady who seems to go through the yellow bins for recyclable cans and bottles once a week the night before recycling pickup. At least she's fairly quick and polite about it.

Most people are probably too tired and busy to go back and recycle most of the bottles themselves for what you get back though. The wait for a machine isn't that big a problem in my NE neighborhood at the grocery store--it's more so that unless I have a big party(or develop a drinking problem), I'm never motivated to sit there for ten minutes(while some cans and bottles are rejected until I try again and then they work) for basically a couple dollars back at most.

Imagine if you just paid for people returning other recyclables(plastics, paper, etc)--you could just get rid of weekly recycling trucks, someone would just make a living out of picking up everything on the curbs.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM

30 posts, read 31,214 times
I used to dread going to the bottle return at grocery stores...but if you live near one in Portland, Bottledrop is a great option to return cans. Lots of machines, dedicated attendants, and fairly clean. And it doesn't reject half the bottles like the local store ones do. If I can incorporate it into other errands and its not terribly busy, then it makes it not a waste of time going there.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
So you don't live in Portland or a dense area, and you can't really say how the bottle bill is affecting us here: have I got that right?
You don't speak for all of Portland - you speak for yourself in whatever little bubble you live in. I lived in several places in Portland - although never downtown - and didn't have the problems you describe. But, believe it or not, there is a Portland - and an Oregon - outside urban core downtown Portland.

You also have zero perspective on the bottle bill - what was it like before the bottle bill and curbside recycling? You have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland