Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 05:32 PM

69 posts, read 74,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
I forgot to include the issue of bike thefts in my "what I've learned list" from this past year that I've spent in Portland.

"Police may have stopped these individuals, many of them homeless, on more than one high-end, carbon-fiber bike with clipless pedals and disc brakes. But their court records often don't reflect a pattern of theft convictions."

"Prosecutors routinely dismiss the theft charges that police lodge against them. Most frequently, prosecutors say, that's because there's not enough evidence."

Bike theft booming in Portland: Even in Bike City USA, thieves are rarely caught, data show | OregonLive.com

This is an important issue to know about for you newcomers that think you'll just show up here and ride your bike everywhere.

It's a pretty shocking issue that really impacts people. I literally go on my walks each day and pass endless states of bicycle carcasses on things like light poles and bike racks that have been picked nearly gone, or see pieces of bike locks laying on the sidewalks.

Memo to those that like to downplay this stuff as old news: this is a 2015 news story. These bike thefts are as relevant right now as they were when this news story was posted.

Walk across the Hawthorne Bridge and check out all the very expensive bikes sitting outside the shanty tents of the homeless there. I witnessed that yesterday.
I'm still trying to figure out what is causing the explosion in homelessness throughout US cities. Perhaps it's just a factor of a large population boom.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
The one time I called the non-emergency number I didn't find the phone tree too cumbersome, but it took them about 75 minutes to send anybody out.

Not going to catch anybody red-handed with that sort of response time.
LOL!!! Yep, no kidding.

My husband once managed a computer store that got robbed a few times, and every new addition he made to make it break-in-proof still failed. One night we got another call of a break-in, so we rushed to the car and made it to the store in NE Portland from Hillsboro before the cops showed up. And then - get this - they refused to go inside to check it out! I was right there and saw it all. My husband went inside himself while the cops stood outside looking nervous.

I will never forget this as long as I live.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:27 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspence View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what is causing the explosion in homelessness throughout US cities. Perhaps it's just a factor of a large population boom.
I think there are so many reasons that it's impossible to tag it on one issue. It's definitely complicated by mental health and drug/alcohol abuse issues and economic marginalization. Then put on top of that a segment of the homeless who really do seem like they choose the lifestyle.

Seems like homelessness is a result of those issues.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:47 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntorun1180 View Post
No more than we currently have with the DMV that drivers are suppose to obey. There are too many idiots on bikes in this town.

You inadvertently prove my point. I'm sure you think there are idiot auto drivers out there too. Did implementation of DMV and regulation help there?

In all honestly though, bikes are not too dangerous and frankly a bike rider probably incurs more risk that general public when undertaking the activity. They may be annoying to some of us, but seldom dangerous. Car drivers on the other hand??

As far as stolen bikes? Portland city leaders have bigger fish to fry.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:22 AM

166 posts, read 133,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
You inadvertently prove my point. I'm sure you think there are idiot auto drivers out there too. Did implementation of DMV and regulation help there?

In all honestly though, bikes are not too dangerous and frankly a bike rider probably incurs more risk that general public when undertaking the activity. They may be annoying to some of us, but seldom dangerous. Car drivers on the other hand??

Yes it has helped, it makes it easier to police drivers and at least requires people to pass a test to drive. Biking, any moron can take one out on the road and block traffic while they violate traffic laws they are ignoring.

That is true, the city shouldn't be concerned with stolen bikes. Heck, I encourage it, it might help get a few of those morons off the roads.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM

149 posts, read 181,211 times
Quote:

In all honestly though, bikes are not too dangerous and frankly a bike riders probably incurs more risk that general public when undertaking the activity. They may be annoying to some of us, but seldom dangerous. Car drivers on the other hand??

Wrong!

Ever walk the Tom McCall waterfront?

They have signs saying "Fast Bikes Use Street Bike Lanes."

Does that happen? NO!

Does anyone enforce that rule against the psycho, militant bike rider weaving in and out of the paths of the walking pedestrians that have priority in usage? NO!

We need to unemploy those worthless, unarmed so-called Park Rangers in this city too.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Wrong!

Does that happen? NO!

Does anyone enforce that rule against the psycho, militant bike rider weaving in and out of the paths of the walking pedestrians that have priority in usage? NO!

We need to unemploy those worthless, unarmed so-called Park Rangers in this city too.
They should be ticketing every idiot that bikes fast on the waterfront! This city is really bad at enforcing any rules, especially with idiotic cyclists.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Wrong!

Does that happen? NO!

Well then- take the law into your own hands and shoot them (sarcasm). Claim you are in fear of your life.
That would bring about some change I bet.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:

The problem here is that it only takes one rider doing this that puts a fright in you because they get too close or makes some jerky remark that makes the other 50 that are out that day look bad.

One day I was walking along the Esplanade with a friend when a cyclist came up behind us and let out a high-pitched shriek at the top of his lungs. We both jumped--I mean literally. He passed us on his stupid tall fixie bike, no helmet of course. We determined that was his unique, a-holish way of saying "On your left."

Here's the thing: We saw at least 2 dozen other cyclists and had no issue with any of them. I would never broad brush the entire cycling community because of a small percentage of dimwits.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Well then- take the law into your own hands and shoot them (sarcasm). Claim you are in fear of your life.
That would bring about some change I bet.
We should be allowed to shoot at cyclists when we catch them breaking the law, that would curb that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland