Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:17 PM

149 posts, read 181,149 times

Advertisements

I forgot to include the issue of bike thefts in my "what I've learned list" from this past year that I've spent in Portland.

"Police may have stopped these individuals, many of them homeless, on more than one high-end, carbon-fiber bike with clipless pedals and disc brakes. But their court records often don't reflect a pattern of theft convictions."

"Prosecutors routinely dismiss the theft charges that police lodge against them. Most frequently, prosecutors say, that's because there's not enough evidence."

Bike theft booming in Portland: Even in Bike City USA, thieves are rarely caught, data show | OregonLive.com

This is an important issue to know about for you newcomers that think you'll just show up here and ride your bike everywhere.

It's a pretty shocking issue that really impacts people. I literally go on my walks each day and pass endless states of bicycle carcasses on things like light poles and bike racks that have been picked nearly gone, or see pieces of bike locks laying on the sidewalks.

Memo to those that like to downplay this stuff as old news: this is a 2015 news story. These bike thefts are as relevant right now as they were when this news story was posted.

Walk across the Hawthorne Bridge and check out all the very expensive bikes sitting outside the shanty tents of the homeless there. I witnessed that yesterday.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 AM

166 posts, read 133,317 times
I always laugh when I see stuff like this knowing some moron who bikes around was dumb enough to have their bike stolen. We need more bike lanes for those idiots that are just gonna get their bike stolen from the homeless anyway.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:19 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
Seems to me that if bikes were registered they would be easier to recover. Also, a small registration fee would help defray the costs of building bike paths and bridges...

Old 10-14-2015, 09:14 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
I agree. Also more cyclists should use 'bike vaults' for parking.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:30 AM

10 posts, read 10,919 times
With all the car theft going on in my neighborhood, I think car owners should be required to park their cars in their garages. When I see those parted out cars on the side of the road I just have to laugh at those moron car drivers who let their cars get stolen.

See the stupidity in those statements? The problem is theft is a big issue right now and it not much is happening about it.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
I am not aware that car theft is a problem in Portland metro. Where are you seeing parted out cars on the side of the road?

Old 10-14-2015, 09:42 AM

149 posts, read 181,149 times
It is not only a very real, but rampant problem, especially in the downtown area.

About ten days ago I was walking across the Hawthorne Bridge and there were three, young bicycle riders coming in my direction, pedaling like crazy.

But it wasn't their speed so much that got my attention, even though it was way higher than normal. It was the fact that they had their faces covered up in these burlap looking scarf things to hide their identity, because each one of them was hauling a bunch of bike parts. Rims etc.

Looked like something out of a Mad Max movie.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:45 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I am not aware that car theft is a problem in Portland metro. Where are you seeing parted out cars on the side of the road?
It's a problem in my neighborhood and adjacent areas--mainly easier to steal cars like pre-2005 Hondas and Subarus. I see a lot every week on postings on NextDoor recently with people getting their cars stolen right out of their driveways.

Of course bikes are easier to steal, though considering the relative cost of a bike they're never going to be investigated by the police for the most part. There's just not enough cops to even start to deal with bike theft in this city.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 10-14-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-14-2015, 09:56 AM

10 posts, read 10,919 times
In the Hollywood/Laurelhurst area there is at least two car thefts a week. This from two neighbors and posts on the nextdoor forums. Right now there is a parted car sitting on the west side of MLK just North of Columbia. Essentially I'm just making a point about theft in general. It isn't just bikes. In NE you can't leave anything on a porch without it walking off. It seems to spike on trash and recycle days when you have the can gatherer's going through the recycle bins. It's amazing what people will steal. Old nasty knee pads, hiking boots, corn hole bags etc. Not to mention packages from UPS and FedEx. Also, it is getting a bit tiring see all these anti-biking posts. I'm a two day a week rider for mostly exercise reasons and I can tell you there are far more problematic car drivers out there than bike riders. Yes, I am aware there are idiot bike riders as well, but the number of people driving while talking on a phone, eating breakfast, reading the paper, applying make up, etc is staggering.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:00 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,526 times
Petty theft has always been an issue in the NW in general. Violent crime is pretty low. But rates theft, vandalism, and burglary have always been high and make our overall crime rate worse than many similar sized cities. It's best to remain proactive, people get lulled into a false sense of security after moving from larger cities. It's a city of 1.5 millionish people (2.3M is the CSA) it's not Mayberry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland