Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:09 PM

58 posts, read 170,514 times

Advertisements

I've been trying really hard to figure this out myself but I'm having a lot of trouble . . . Does anyone have any advice on how to meet people, especially for dating, in this town? I know there's Meetup.com, are any of the singles' groups good? When I do more general social stuff it seems like absolutely everyone is in a relationship and no one needs friends.

For background, I'm in my late 20's, female and not grotesquely overweight or deformed. I AM pretty nerdy (I'm a software engineer) which probably makes things harder as almost no men have had the experience of dating an engineer since there are so few females in those fields . . .

I've been trying to use OKCupid but most guys on there are really ugly, boring or both and the sufficiently cute (not even huge studs, just cute enough) ones don't write back. I haven't been able to make many friends either since I don't know how to meet people, which makes it even harder to get out and do things . . . I do go out and do stuff that interests me like software user groups (which are entirely men generally), the gym, music . . . Does Portland just suck for singles? In a year or so I'd probably have enough experience to get a job in Seattle and move up there, would that be better? I've been here since 2011 and I'm getting pretty tired of trying to figure this town out, maybe it's just a bad fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times
Try Church. You can make some great friends there. Also dating has nothing, ZERO, to do with a town, its size, or its location. Dating anywhere is YOU, and only you.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:31 AM

63 posts, read 57,147 times
Try Meetup. Create a profile join a few meetup sites and go to the meetups. Hiking, skiing, church, whatever your passion's are. The best way to meet someone is doing things you like and let it happen naturally or you could go to Hamburger Marys downtown!! Lol.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:47 AM

58 posts, read 170,514 times
Not religious so church won't work . . .

Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
More often you see guys saying the same thing. OKCupid is hit or miss, but I'm guessing you're an introvert. (based merely on stereotyping - sorry.) Do you approach people in public? But really, if you need someone "right now," then Meetup.com is your best way to meet people.

Also, if you're on OKCupid - at least give guys who maybe contacting you a chance. It's a two way street.

Avoid church for guys. There is a huge section of predator type single "gentleman" who church hop and find emotionally fragile single women to use and leave. It's a pick up technique in several of "those" books.

Either way, statically you should be good as there are more Single Guys on the West Coast then single females.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
From what I've always heard about Portland, is that most younger people (late 20/early 30) were settled down already. More couples, not a lot of singles, in general. Now granted, I'm not sure what the true stats are. Does CD show that kind of data? I knew, coming up here from LA, I was moving to a tiny pool of men.

I will browse OKC sometimes for the fun of it, I find decent looking men, it's just too bad most of them are heavily into vegan/vegetarian diets, outdoor activities, beer, or live bands. LOL. None of those are really my thing.

I'm wondering if you should try different dating sites. I know the others you have to pay for, but maybe spend some money, assuming you have it, just to see what is out there. If it's the same group, cancel your membership.

Besides, aren't you surrounded by men, being a software engineer? Or are you trying to find the non-software engineer type?

One last thing, from what I've read here, it seems that most people in Portland keep to themselves. I'm not saying people won't approach you or talk to you, but here, it's more, "live and let live". When I lived in LA and have walked my dog, people always stop me or say something. Here, it's rare. I'm not sure how Seattle compares. It is a larger city, but does that mean better dating opps? Who knows.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCivet View Post
For background, I'm in my late 20's, female and not grotesquely overweight or deformed. I AM pretty nerdy (I'm a software engineer) which probably makes things harder as almost no men have had the experience of dating an engineer since there are so few females in those fields
Not grotesquely overweight... but not a size 4... correct? Not deformed... but not anyone's idea of an A-list beauty icon. In other words, you're normal. What you haven't shown us is what your idea of "cute" in a guy is. Is it realistic? I'm sure you think so. Would I? Why does it matter? Because I am who you are hoping will write back to you. You're a smart girl, you know this. You also know it won't be different in Seattle. If you're asking, it means you aren't even from here. So where are you from? Was it better there? Can I take off my mean jeans now and go back to being sweet, lovable me? If you want to meet a guy, you will. Simple as that. If you want to meet a stud muffin you will have to be similarly studettely. I see nerdy girls with guys, just saying. Nerdy or not has nothing to do with it. Make some female friends. Find out how they met the guys they are with.

H

Last edited by Leisesturm; 03-24-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 AM

41 posts, read 85,742 times
Best of luck. I have SO many single girlfriends in portland and never had a good guy to set them up with. A lot of them moved. In my experience it's not an easy town to find a relationship kind of guy. Not impossible! But, yeah, I'll agree with the previous poster who said a lot of people move there as couples. I knew tons of fantastic married/engaged guys when I lived there...

Old 03-24-2014, 11:16 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,240 times
Wired ran an interesting article on hacking dating websites you might find interesting. How a Math Genius Hacked OkCupid to Find True Love - Wired Science

The TLDR being that even if you're on the site, you only get a match if you answer the 'right' questions. Not that you necessarily need to go to the lengths this person did, but you may want to rethink your account.

You could also consider whether OKcupid or some other site (clearly not JDate, but along the lines of what Leis said, if you're looking for a nerd, you might have better luck somewhere like Geek2Geek).

Working with a lot of males, even if they aren't single, if you meet someone you would potentially have interest in and befriend a bit (shared interests, etc.), it's worth asking if he has any single friends who also like XYZ he could introduce you to casually.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:17 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCivet View Post
Does Portland just suck for singles?
In my experience, yes. Sorry to be blunt but you did ask. Single Portlanders seem to have a tendency to want to date but not to want to settle down. As for Meetup, I've been an organizer/member since 2008. I've seen very few relationships start from there and even fewer of them last. The members of the singles groups I've belonged to are typically older (40+).

A lot of people join Meetup because they are newly single or are new to town and want a low pressure/no pressure way to meet others with similar interests. Some are interested in dating, some are genuinely just looking to make friends or find others to enjoy their favorite hobby with them. Not everyone who joins Meetup and attends events on a regular basis is single. I go with the assumption that if a member has their interests visible and dating isn't one of them, that's not why they joined the site until I'm told otherwise. Also, Meetup events tend to be attended by more women than men and a 50% no show rate among those who RSVP'd yes is considered standard.

On the plus side, the single men who do attend Meetup events on a regular basis also tend to fall into two camps: mid to late 20's or nearing 50 and over. I would suggest you look into the 20's and 30's Awesome Stuff group as it's pretty active in terms of events (there are over 7,000 members, however, at least half of them have not visited the site in over a year so don't be deterred by that) and that may be a good way for you to at least get out and start making friends-you never know who they may know. Most of the groups also host speed dating events several times a month and those for the 23-37 age range do tend to sell out for the men, whereas the 40+ age groups tend to sell out for the women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland