Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:37 AM

21 posts, read 17,164 times

Advertisements

I've always been scared to go on these things. I've seen locals just rip apart people for just asking questions inquiring about their city, moving, what's it like, ect.
Well, I've lived in Ca all my life, and I never in my mind thought of moving to OR, but recently, my sister in law got a giant promotion offered to her, and she took it. She left with my baby nephew, and is settling in up there, while my brother stays here for another week to finish packing the house.
My mother and myself have spoken about it, and it's been really hard accepting the leave of our family. We are happy for them, but the thought of only seeing them maybe once or twice a year is weighing heavy on our hearts.

I've done some research on Portland, and I feel in my gut, it's not the right place for my mother and myself. I don't do well in big cities at all, and living in CA I actually make it a point to stay away from Los Angeles.
I've looked into Beaverton (since it's where a lot of my co-workers families live) and Lake Oswego. I also researched safe cities, population of homeless, crime rates and of course weather. My job can transfer me anywhere I'd like to go, but I want to make sure it's a good route to get to Portland, so I wont be too far from my brother and his family. Right now they're a good 30 minute drive from my place to theirs. My sister's job will be downtown, so they want to stay near the city.

Anyway,
Any suggestions for me on a good city would be appreciated. And please don't tell me to "go home" or "stay put", I've never poo-poo'd anyone's decision to move to CA. if you need to do it, do it. I just want to make sure My mom and I move to a great city where we can make lots of friends, find a good church, and enjoy our family. I'm kind of nervous about it, but I guess change is a good thing.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 08:25 AM

311 posts, read 348,301 times
What's your budget and what is most important for your new home to offer? Do you prefer more rural, suburban, or small town?

Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
The other question is where in/around Portland will your sister and her family be living? You do not want to transverse the city to see them.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:48 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default morning sunshine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexx122 View Post
I've always been scared to go on these things. I've seen locals just rip apart people for just asking questions inquiring about their city, moving, what's it like, ect.
Well, I've lived in Ca all my life, and I never in my mind thought of moving to OR, but recently, my sister in law got a giant promotion offered to her, and she took it. She left with my baby nephew, and is settling in up there, while my brother stays here for another week to finish packing the house.
My mother and myself have spoken about it, and it's been really hard accepting the leave of our family. We are happy for them, but the thought of only seeing them maybe once or twice a year is weighing heavy on our hearts.

I've done some research on Portland, and I feel in my gut, it's not the right place for my mother and myself. I don't do well in big cities at all, and living in CA I actually make it a point to stay away from Los Angeles.
I've looked into Beaverton (since it's where a lot of my co-workers families live) and Lake Oswego. I also researched safe cities, population of homeless, crime rates and of course weather. My job can transfer me anywhere I'd like to go, but I want to make sure it's a good route to get to Portland, so I wont be too far from my brother and his family. Right now they're a good 30 minute drive from my place to theirs. My sister's job will be downtown, so they want to stay near the city.

Anyway,
Any suggestions for me on a good city would be appreciated. And please don't tell me to "go home" or "stay put", I've never poo-poo'd anyone's decision to move to CA. if you need to do it, do it. I just want to make sure My mom and I move to a great city where we can make lots of friends, find a good church, and enjoy our family. I'm kind of nervous about it, but I guess change is a good thing.

Thanks in advance.
Please take your BOLD off...
K

Old 10-26-2015, 10:11 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
West Linn or Lake Oswego.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:40 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by "IN" the big city. In terms of population density, traffic, architectural style, what?

Beaverton, e.g. is well inside the metro and has traffic that is as bad or worse as many parts of Portland proper, and is a mix of upper-middle and upper class. From what limited criteria you describe I'm not sure why you've written off Portland but are fine with Beaverton.

Lake Oswego is "outside the city" in the sense that it's expensive enough they keep all the riff-raff out, but you're still going to end up driving in the city/metro for services as you're pinched between the river and I-5. If you really want to be close to the city but really feel like you're outside it, somewhere like Sherwood or Forest Grove might feel a little more comfortable.

But the majority of the city/metro is safe. Traffic is a consideration but is a bit complex to describe. And yes, it would help to know where in the metro your brother's family is settling to draw a 30 min map around that.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:26 AM

148 posts, read 178,444 times
Its seems your comparing Portland to the area you currently live in. It would help if we knew what area of California your coming from. This information could help us suggest areas of Portland that might be a good fit for you. Portland is wide and varied in its neighborhoods.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:57 AM

300 posts, read 267,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
West Linn or Lake Oswego.
Bingo.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:10 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
How much can you spend on housing? I really like West Linn, especially the little area with some older houses around the tiny downtown north of the Tualatin River, but it can be fairly pricey(in terms of Portland area prices). I also really like the area of Raleigh Hills on the border of Portland and Beaverton(and Beaverton itself is a nice medium-sized suburb with a good mix).

Old 10-26-2015, 01:14 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
There are lots of areas that are attractive but we need to know budget and sister's home location. If sister's new home isn't set yet we could spend a lot of time sending the OP all over the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland