U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 10:58 AM

846 posts, read 475,356 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live on the west side of town (Hillsboro). I know very little about parts of Gresham and Clackamas. I have heard about crime and gang activity in Gresham. Is all of Gresham this way or certain sections? Does Clackamas have these issues?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 11:49 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,862,271 times
First question - if you live West, why are you now looking far east? The answer may help inform where on the east side you should actually look, assuming you're looking and not just asking out of curiosity.

Not all of Gresham is "that way," no, and in fact many of the "bad parts of Gresham" are actually east Portland and not Gresham at all (see: Centennial). But because most of Portland thinks anything beyond 205 is just an amorphous mess there's not always a distinction made.

So yes, there are some quite decent to nice parts of Gresham. And Fairview/Wood Village/Troutdale would be other options for towns adjacent to Gresham.

Does Clackamas have crime? Uh, probably. Depends on what you mean. The main issue (imo) in Clackamas proper is congestion. But many people say "Clackamas" to mean that entire belt of Clackamas County.

If you're talking about the rural areas of Clackamas County then you start seeing the types of crime that become more prevalent in rural areas - meth, etc.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:02 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,183,887 times
Happy Valley which is basically between Clackamas and Gresham is one of the fastest growing upscale suburban areas in all of Portland. Lots of million dollar houses out there.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 PM

220 posts, read 166,753 times
The actual area of Clackamas County known as Clackamas is a mostly industrial area of warehouses south of Happy Valley. Most people seem to refer to any area of Clackamas County that is urban and not an incorporated city as Clackamas. I live in a built up no mans land between Gladstone, Milwaukie, and Happy Valley that I actually quite like. It's quiet, clean and not a bad commute into downtown via 224 and McLoughlin.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:18 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,173,866 times
Gresham, Certain sections are great especially on the hills. Stay away from MAX or 181st and you'll be fine.

Clackamas is essentially south Happy Valley. Clackamas would be a better choice.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
Hello,

I live on the west side of town (Hillsboro). I know very little about parts of Gresham and Clackamas. I have heard about crime and gang activity in Gresham. Is all of Gresham this way or certain sections? Does Clackamas have these issues?

Thanks
Gresham has high crime rate and bad turn out for children in school and bad attitudes from kids and clackamas is better but people don't mind there own busniss ever happy cop callers and cops are getting pretty board when it comes to chasing people down for tickets happyvally I'm twisted bull crap they think there crap don't stunk don't drive around there the court is lame
oregon city seems to have a amazing school s for children and fare housing but again board police for driving around iv seen many times same cop at night chasing any car at night waiting to find some reason to pull them over it seems the area has so much they need money to get outta drivers due to lack of there income of greed the thing is they can spend there time breaking down that 38 percent of crime to make 20 percent if they stop being greedy onestly

Old 04-01-2016, 05:29 PM

971 posts, read 928,017 times
the clackamas/ milwaukie area is a lot nicer then gresham. both are pretty boring though

Old 04-28-2016, 01:14 PM

11 posts, read 24,132 times
A lot of these respondents are generalizing. Haters gonna hate. The truth is more complicated as always. Gresham is like any other town in having good areas and bad areas. The northwest part of town (Rockwood and Wilkes) is very bad by Oregon standards, and is culturally part of Portland rather than part of the old original town of Gresham, having been annexed in the 1980s. The gang activity is centered mainly there. Also note that nearly ALL these bad neighborhoods are in Centennial School District, not in Gresham-Barlow. Portland gentrification refugees are really hammering this part of town now. Recall that Gresham is mostly east of 181st and entirely east of 165th. Some ignorant Portlanders refer to anything in the east half of Portland as 'Gresham'.

Anything south of Division or east of Kane is pretty good and some of it is really good. I find that living in the south part, daily life is much more like a good small town than 'weird Portland.' My children have just wrapped up going through the public schools since kindergarten and did fine, skateboarded and biked to school with no problems. Gresham High presently has award winning drama, dance, jazz band, and choir programs. Also the south part of town is walkable or at least bikable to me. I can to the nicest historic downtowns in the Metro area with restaruants, historic movie theater, etc. in 10 minutes on bike. One more thing: Gresham and its police department have much more of a handle on the transient problem than Portland does, parks and trails far cleaner out here in that regard. And of course, its next to Mt. Hood!

Old 04-28-2016, 01:43 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,070,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20178 View Post
Gresham has high crime rate and bad turn out for children in school and bad attitudes from kids and clackamas is better but people don't mind there own busniss ever happy cop callers and cops are getting pretty board when it comes to chasing people down for tickets happyvally I'm twisted bull crap they think there crap don't stunk don't drive around there the court is lame
oregon city seems to have a amazing school s for children and fare housing but again board police for driving around iv seen many times same cop at night chasing any car at night waiting to find some reason to pull them over it seems the area has so much they need money to get outta drivers due to lack of there income of greed the thing is they can spend there time breaking down that 38 percent of crime to make 20 percent if they stop being greedy onestly

God I love the internet.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:50 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,862,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther East View Post
Some ignorant Portlanders refer to anything in the east half of Portland as 'Gresham'.
That's the truth. There are nice enough neighborhoods in East Portland and Gresham, but the whole area gets written off as some sort of drug-infested gangland war zone by some it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland