Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 04:03 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
Just making it clear, I am not bashing or saying anything negative about Liberals in any way. I live around them constantly already. Just making sure it's safe walking to church and back, and finding a partner who shares my beliefs.
A friend I went to school with in Portland was from Michigan and liberal by Michigan's standards, but she found Portland far to liberal for her. She ended up going to Austin and is now headed to Fort Worth trying to find a better fit that's still affordable.

How do you feel about non-practicing Mormons? I knew a handful when I was living in Portland. Most seemed to be decent enough people.

Portland on the whole is fairly safe. Although I've noticed more and more crimes that didn't really exist in past versions of Portland are now there.

Are you talking about walking to churches in the downtown area? Used to be (as of 2009) an area where homeless and streetwalkers hung out (roughly between SW Broadway to 13th and from SW Taylor to the 405 wraparound). None of them seemed particularly dangerous to me though.

Although I have to wonder why you'd pick a place that is such the polar opposite as to what you've stated.

Must be the sort who loves a challenge or likes to make rain and then complain that it's raining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Non-practicing Mormons are as "decent" as the practicing ones.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:39 AM

32,641 posts, read 48,015,234 times
OP, religion in Oregon is a private matter and it is not talked about. You won't know what religion your neighbors are. However, Portland is full of churches, so one can surmise that Portland is also full of church-going Christians. To meet a potential mate who shares your religion, the best place to look is at your church and at related churches.

Also participate in clubs that gather for clean activities like hiking. Because it is Oregon, if you want to fit in, you will be very tolerant of other religions. There are a lot of non-Christian religions in Oregon, which you might never know becasue they won't come out and tell you.

Portland tends to vote liberal but that does not mean that 100% of the residents are liberals. It just means that there are enough liberals to outvote the rest of the residents. There are probably more conservatives in Oregon than there are liberals, but because of districting, the liberals get to control all the politics.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
I see Portland as being rather attractive, being a no car needed city with a lot of people to meet and things to do. But I'm a little worried about how Liberal it is. I'm Conservative and a Christian, and I have no particular dislike of Liberals, but I'm worried about any hostility towards people like me. I don't go around flaunting my political side (I try to avoid talking openly about it as much as possible, almost none of my Liberal friends know and neither does my family). But I'm mostly worried about not finding a Christian man who shares my views in Portland. (I've heard about people going to strip clubs on dates there--yikes!)

Should I steer clear of Portland or do you think I could live there without much problem?
I'm not understanding something... your friends don't know you are actually Conservative... neither do any of your family... but you are worried that total strangers in a new city that you have just relocated to will somehow discern your Conservative status through... haircut? And possibly visit violence upon you as a result... what exactly is so shameful about being Conservative that it has to be hidden and treated like some dark character defect? I don't get it. I cannot speak to it personally, but from reading threads here, it is generally understood that finding a man (or woman) in Portland is an impossibility, period. Bring your man with you and make sure that you have jobs waiting for the both of you. Or else.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:28 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
If you do a search for "oregon redistricting 2012" you will find a PDF overview of Oregon's redistricting law(s). Political leanings are not an acceptable criteria. What has happened, however, is that areas, such as the Willamette Valley from Eugene north and Bend have grown in population while rural areas have not. The first tend to be liberal, the latter more conservative.

As others have said, Oregon has a live and let live culture. Of course there are individuals who don't model that culture (be they liberal, conservative, a member of a faith) but the best way to handle them is to excuse yourself from the conversation.

The only way people announce themselves as a member of some faiths is by dress and we have almost all, for example: Old Order Mennonites, Buddhists, Sikhs, Muslim.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:48 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Quote:
Just making it clear, I am not bashing or saying anything negative about Liberals in any way. I live around them constantly already. Just making sure it's safe walking to church and back, and finding a partner who shares my beliefs.
You won't have a problem walking to church and back. Depending on the area, you may have homeless asking you for change but for the most part, you'll likely be ignored by the people walking past you, or you may get a curt nod. If you're really lucky, a smile and a hello.

As for finding a man who shares your values, Portland is a very hard city to date in in general. Depending on your age, religious beliefs are not going to be the problem - just meeting someone with whom there is mutual interest will be. If you are moving here solely with the intention of finding a mate and settling down in the near future, look elsewhere. If you are on a 5 - 10 year plan for finding a mate, then give it a chance.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Non-practicing Mormons are as "decent" as the practicing ones.
I'd imagine they are, but they didn't seem real open to others who weren't also practicing Mormons.

FWIW my experience from living in Portland the liberal style was militant far left liberal and people were tolerant so long as you went along with what they believed. Otherwise they wanted you out. They preach diversity, yet the city is segregated and very white overall. So, yeah, it's easy to be "tolerant" when you surround yourself with like minded people who look just like you.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I'd imagine they are, but they didn't seem real open to others who weren't also practicing Mormons.

FWIW my experience from living in Portland the liberal style was militant far left liberal and people were tolerant so long as you went along with what they believed. Otherwise they wanted you out. They preach diversity, yet the city is segregated and very white overall. So, yeah, it's easy to be "tolerant" when you surround yourself with like minded people who look just like you.
Yeah, I am not buying this, unless you were trying to convince others why your religion was the best or something.

I personally don't follow any religion, nor is it a topic I care talking about with people, so if someone wants to talk to me about religion, I will have very little interest in that conversation.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:57 AM

194 posts, read 246,297 times
Quote:
Assuming this isn't a joke post I'm going to say you may be annoyed living there as a Conservative Christian. It's not in your face (other than the militant left thing), but then again Portland isn't confrontational about much of anything. Not exactly tolerant either. More of a group think place. And if you don't think like they do the most common response is to get out.

It's one of the least religious areas and it's noticeable.

How do you feel about pagan imagery? The mall downtown always seems to put up that canvas covering with an image of Pan on it. Naked bike rides? And people in Santa suits drinking, passing out sex toys, and starting brawls on the Santa rampage?

Speaking of sex toys how do you feel about seeing two dildos tied together and flung over a telephone line or finding ice mold penises with toys inside in the park?
Those things don't bother me. I generally don't care what other people do as long as I'm not doing it.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:02 AM

194 posts, read 246,297 times
Quote:

Although I have to wonder why you'd pick a place that is such the polar opposite as to what you've stated.

Must be the sort who loves a challenge or likes to make rain and then complain that it's raining.
That's not it, at all.

Basically what I like about Portland is that it's a no car needed city with winters that look like I can handle them.

I don't really care about what the majority believes in, as long as it's safe for me to be there. I was told that there were over 25 reported incidents of people slamming into cars with McCain bumper stickers and one family's house was set on fire, and they had a McCain sign on their lawn. And like I said, I'm hoping it won't be hard for me to find a partner who shares my beliefs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland