Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:08 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksABunch View Post
Such good timing on your post! Our cat was chased up a tree this morning by an unleashed german shepard mix. We ended up calling the fire department who just left! The loud sound of the truck engine eventually scared him down.

I love dogs and own one but would never let him off leash for his safety and for the safety of others (including cats).

Everyone should leash their dogs!
When I was living in NYC about twelve years ago people were warned of dogs being stolen off the street by gangs engaged in dog fighting. Little dogs would be taken while leashed outside of stores or restaurants and used for pit bulls to "practice" it's techniques. I remember people in yuppie Brooklyn hoods always having their pooches on leash and close by. These were the most entitled people ever but they didn't want their dogs to become food. When dog fighting becomes more of an issue here we will notice not so many lazy dog owners. Sad that it will take fear to to change irresponsible behavior but probably true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 AM

219 posts, read 313,484 times
We hiked Terwilliger to Council Crest and back with our Malinois and Tervuren yesterday and almost every dog we came across was off leash. One of them was fine (lab) but the rest were not well trained and unruly and made it difficult to get by each other on the trail with our leashed dogs. The Mal is great with other dogs but the Terv just plain doesn't like dogs getting all up in and around her business. I find this particularly annoying as the entire reason we are doing this hike in the first place is because the dogs need exercise, and while I don't like dogs parks anyway, taking the Terv to one is not an option. We warn people not to let their dog bum rush her and they almost never have any sort of voice control of the animal whatsoever. She's being walked on about six inches of leash so there isn't a whole lot more we can do to keep her from grabbing an off leash dog that gets too pushy. It's frustrating and stressful for her (and for us) to keep running into off leash dogs every few minutes. Yesterday was particularly bad for some reason, though it seems like most dogs we meet on the trails are leashed and those that aren't tend to be very well trained and behaved.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:14 PM

311 posts, read 348,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
This entitled behavior existed before you guys transplanted here, that's the way its always been, Portland has always treated dogs like kids. Growing up in the PNW we always joked that there were more dogs than kids in Portland.
It sounds like you support this behavior. Do you have a free-range dog? Is it news to you that this causes problems for so many people? Or do you just not care?

Old 11-23-2015, 01:15 PM

311 posts, read 348,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
Why force yourself to live in a town full of irresponsible dog owners when there's hundreds of other cities in the US, that would have better suited you. Why come here and whine...
I love it here and I adore most people I meet in Portland. If I ever leave it will be to raise my kids near family, not to escape loose dogs.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:41 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Weirdest and a somewhat disgusting trait of the PNW is dogs in stores (including grocery stores).
As a dog owner, I will never understand the desire to go into a Home Depot or Trader Joe's with a friggin dog. What's the point of that?

This is Portland where it is perfectly fine to kill a baby via abortion; but holy cow - don't kick a dog or cut down the wrong tree.

Weird weird place.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
What I've noticed is an increase in border collies and other working breeds as pets, and they just don't thrive in urban environments. They're hyper because their exercise needs aren't being met even if they do get off leash a few times a week.

I don't get the dogs in stores trend either.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:40 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
I totally agree with this.
I own three Aussies, and I can tell you that they do not thrive in an urban environment, especially when all they have is a small yard to exercise in.
Even a long afternoon walk isn't enough.

Border collies are even worse.
These types of dogs need room, and they need a "job" to do.
That's just the way they are.
Keep one cooped up in a house all day alone while you are at work and it's a recipe for developing a neurotic, OCD, unpredictable nightmare.

Also, it seems like last year I noticed a trend toward owning large breed dogs like Newfoundlands, Bernese Mountain dogs and other dogs of that size.
Why anybody needs a +100lb dog in the city is beyond me.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:12 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,898 times
One thing about the bigger dogs is that they are typically lazy. They don't need as much exercise as a medium-sized dog so it works if you don't have a big yard but don't want a little, yappy dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: