Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 03:23 PM

77 posts, read 337,722 times

Advertisements

Hubby got the ax yesterday at a terrible time. We have a child with special needs and she is having surgery the 20th of this month. I on the other hand am 25 weeks pregnant.

So we are looking at Portland/Eugene/Salem, Seattle, Salt Lake City (probably way too conservative forus) or Denver (lived there 6 years).

How is Portland for raising a family? We are Agnostic and NOT conservative and we are semi crunchy. We like the idea of Portland or Eugene? or Salem? because Portland has a Children's hospital. Very important to us since were we live now has terrible medical coverage for her.

Any advice? Hubby is a Landscape Architect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:11 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I wish I could offer advice, but I do not know too much about the medical facilities in Portland. There is a wonderful hospital OHSU that I have read about even where I live . I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers. Best of luck to you.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
Doernbecher (sp?) Children's Hospital is great. We've had a child with special needs helped there. But if you are looking for work I really can't recommend Portland. The job market isn't that good.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
Portland and especially Eugene are the "crunchiest". Eugene is Granola City. However, due to your special needs child, you're better off in Portland. I would say Portland is famiily friendly although the school district has been bleeding students for a number of years (it slowed in '07). I believe this is primarily due to people moving to the suburbs to give their kids more room. Best of luck.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:50 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Hubby got the ax yesterday at a terrible time. We have a child with special needs and she is having surgery the 20th of this month. I on the other hand am 25 weeks pregnant.

So we are looking at Portland/Eugene/Salem, Seattle, Salt Lake City (probably way too conservative forus) or Denver (lived there 6 years).

How is Portland for raising a family? We are Agnostic and NOT conservative and we are semi crunchy. We like the idea of Portland or Eugene? or Salem? because Portland has a Children's hospital. Very important to us since were we live now has terrible medical coverage for her.

Any advice? Hubby is a Landscape Architect.
why are you moving? To be closer to family or job opportunities? can you share more info if you are comfortable? western oregon has many grass seed and turf farms as well as the regular developers that use LA. hope to hear from you.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:06 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
I'll agree, that Dornbechers is excellent!!! We have been more than thrilled with their awesome quality of care for children.
The job market can be difficult....depending on what all youre qualified/willing to do. Some jobs are easier to get into and pay well...has your husband called about and talked to anyone in his field to get an idea of market/pay/etc?
Very best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,246 times
Portland offers Doernbecher Childrens, and Legacy Emanuel Childrens Hospitals. Also, through Providence Portland Medical Center is The Child Center. If your child's special needs are the neuro-developmental sort, The Child Center has outpatient and in-patient programs. In fact, about 55 children call the Child Center home. They also offer respite care, which is really cool, say when you give birth here in a couple of months.

Larger cities will give you great medical care. The smaller cities, such as Eugene, will provide good/adequate medical care. The choice really depends on how much specialized care your child needs and where you want to live and can find work.

Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Didn't not too long ago, some poll (and you know how those things go) place Portland at the top of the list for the best place to give birth?

Seems like I remember that one. So we can't be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland