U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Portland difficult to find a career level job?
YES 50 64.94%
NO 27 35.06%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:02 PM

4,800 posts, read 6,110,561 times

Advertisements

No, I totally believe that working to live is that correct way to go.
That's the way I have always approached life and that attitude has served me well.

Why would anyone want to waste their lives "working for the man" and neglecting family, fun, and all the other good stuff in life just to make a few measly extra dollars that mean absolutely nothing in the long run?

I guess some people just thrive on stress and blood pressure medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 02:37 PM

151 posts, read 193,177 times
"I find that people here are happy with the "status quo" of their existence, not looking for improving their level of employment etc."

Yep. Lots of newcomers perceive this, but it doesn't seem to dawn on them that we preferred it that way, and we were never looking for the brilliant insights and capital of a booming transplant population to "improve" it for us. Many transplants can't grasp that we lived in a slow "provincial big/small town" by choice, fully cognizant of what it was like, and we miss it.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:01 PM

46,050 posts, read 30,311,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
The recession isn't at all what made Portland's bus system start to suck, it began way before that.

I have no idea where you are getting the idea that the bus system is being restored to "full service".

That's pretty funny right there...............
You missed the word "starting."

Old 12-18-2015, 03:56 PM

SO.... in other words, you must mean that hardly any actions of consequence have happened yet as far as the bus system being "restored to full service"??

You are then absolutely correct!

Old 12-18-2015, 05:22 PM

A number of bus lines have seen service increase since the recession where many lines took a cut. So I wouldn't call that "hardly," but that is just my opinion.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:14 AM

166 posts, read 108,321 times
I was smart enough to transfer here with a job unlike some of the bums and burnouts I have met here who seem to be happy being a waste of space in society.

But Portland is an overrated city who is about to hit a recession hard as people flee from this place.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I have disagree with you!

I would rather have a modern, technologically up to date, comprehensive bus system that gets people anywhere they want to go cheaply and quickly.
Bus routes could be easily shifted to accommodate changing travel patterns.
I believe that having such a bus system would have made Portland even more relevant than having MAX.

And, I don't think MAX is what made Portland so "relevant" and popular back in the eighties when everyone decided that it was [B][I][U]the[/U][/I][/B] city to move to, and the great influx started.
Portland would have become "relevant" even if MAX had stopped with the first line.

MAX is nice, but it's already at full capacity during rush hours, is unreliable during bad weather, and it's hard to expand without having to spend billions of dollars no matter where those dollars come from.
But I guess it's a form of some kind of "GROWTH", so it must be good no matter what.

BTW, some interesting light rail facts:

[url=http://www.debunkingportland.com/sometransitfacts01.htm]Some Transit Facts[/url]

The main site which is full of great information (about Portland) for those with open minds, who like to gather information from many sources, whether they agree with them or not:

[url=http://www.debunkingportland.com/index.html]Home[/url]
Great links, it really points out how much of a joke this choo-choo train is and how much this dump wasted tax payer money on such a failed idea. More people need to read this site to learn the mistakes Portland made and why things like rail transit it nothing more than a money pit that only serves a very limited number of people while the majority is stuck in traffic on outdated highways.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
But Portland is an overrated city who is about to hit a recession hard as people flee from this place.
I have to agree that Portland can be called "over-rated", but if you come here with your eyes open, and understand that other than it's beautiful setting and "eye- candy" (like Tillicum Crossing, MAX, and the OHSU Tram for example), that Portland isn't going to save you, cut you any breaks, or improve your life without a hefty dose of personal initiative, it's not a bad place to live.

Portland may be losing it's trendy luster, but I don't think that it will have a hard recession or will see people fleeing in droves.

I predict that Portland will continue to attract the wealthy young yuppie folks, and all others will be relegated to the less popular neighborhoods (and surrounding towns) until they too become gentrified.

Portland proper may lose, but I think that as people realize how much it actually costs to live in Portland versus the benefits and quality of life received for that money, the outlying communities will win.

The population around Portland may grow, but Portland itself will suffer unless drastic changes are made in the way Portland plans and budgets itself for the future.
The glory days are definitely over, at least for a long while.

I wish I was young enough to be around 50 years from now to see what happens.
The last 50 have been interesting to say the least.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-19-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I have to agree that Portland can be called "over-rated", but if you come here with your eyes open, and understand that other than it's beautiful setting and "eye- candy" (like Tillicum Crossing, MAX, and the OHSU Tram for example), that Portland isn't going to save you, cut you any breaks, or improve your life without a hefty dose of personal initiative, it's not a bad place to live.

Portland may be losing it's trendy luster, but I don't think that it will have a hard recession or will see people fleeing in droves.

I predict that Portland will continue to attract the wealthy young yuppie folks, and all others will be relegated to the less popular neighborhoods (and surrounding towns) until they too become gentrified.

Portland proper may lose, but I think that as people realize how much it actually costs to live in Portland versus the benefits and quality of life received for that money, the outlying communities will win.

The population around Portland may grow, but Portland itself will suffer unless drastic changes are made in the way Portland plans and budgets itself for the future.
The glory days are definitely over, at least for a long while.

I wish I was young enough to be around 50 years from now to see what happens.
The last 50 have been interesting to say the least.
I can see Portland rotting from the inside out, my question is as it forces people out to the surrounding towns and the only people living in Portland will be rich yuppies, when will those yuppies start to flee Portland when they realize it has lost its cool factor? I wouldn't be shocked to see inner Portland be a ghost town filled with strung out gutter trash and welfare moochers as the developers figure out how to get people to move into their overpriced apartments.

The city should cut off funding to the MAX and accept that it was a lost cause from a failed idea from a pedophile that was just trying to distract the voters from the real problems. It is a shame they wasted that money instead of expanding the highway system for the metro. The current highway system is a complete joke that this metro should be ashamed of.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntorun1180 View Post
I can see Portland rotting from the inside out, my question is as it forces people out to the surrounding towns and the only people living in Portland will be rich yuppies, when will those yuppies start to flee Portland when they realize it has lost its cool factor? I wouldn't be shocked to see inner Portland be a ghost town filled with strung out gutter trash and welfare moochers as the developers figure out how to get people to move into their overpriced apartments.

The city should cut off funding to the MAX and accept that it was a lost cause from a failed idea from a pedophile that was just trying to distract the voters from the real problems. It is a shame they wasted that money instead of expanding the highway system for the metro. The current highway system is a complete joke that this metro should be ashamed of.
Wow, you seem to be quite a jaded person when it comes to Portland. You couldn't be any more wrong about this city, its people, and its rail system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or