U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Was Portland difficult to find a career level job?
YES 50 64.94%
NO 27 35.06%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2015, 03:06 PM
 
Location: US
578 posts, read 500,003 times
Reputation: 574

Advertisements

Seems like a fair argument. However, I think California is just one part of the equation. The whole country is becoming more globalized and people are coming in with lots of money and well-paying jobs. The only reason why real estate and rents are skyrocking is because people are more than willing to pay for them. This in turn, has escalated the once modest COL of Portland to one that matches up more to other markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2015, 03:32 PM
 
4,060 posts, read 4,597,437 times
Reputation: 2862
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
The only reason why real estate and rents are skyrocking is because people are more than willing to pay for them. This in turn, has escalated the once modest COL of Portland to one that matches up more to other markets.
I'd quibble that in many cases people are "borrowing" for them, and in a regulatory environment that still encourages some fairly loose lending.

Whether a buyer ultimately "pays" for the house or not only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2015, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Just outside of Portland
4,793 posts, read 6,100,212 times
Reputation: 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
So what is all this disdain for Californians? I don’t get it. If anything, they helped grow what little economy Oregon has, and surged your homes market price creating wealth and equity for all natives? That is a good thing and you guys should be grateful.
A lot of us remember what life was like in Oregon before the big flood of people moving here. Life was good here.

Believe it or not, plenty of us had jobs or businesses, raised families, put our kids through school, wore clothes that weren't made from deer hide and beaver tails, actually owned cars, lived in real houses that weren't made from logs and mud, used electricity, had indoor plumbing and all those sorts of things before all you guys showed up to tell us how backwards and unhappy we were......then cause overcrowding, high taxes, social problems, ungodly traffic, etc, and then smugly tell us how good we have it now!

You know, we could actually drive to Vancouver from Oregon city in way less than an hour during the worst rush hours!

Not to mention all the outstanding outdoor recreational opportunities that we could enjoy without hordes of people telling us what we could and couldn't do, and where we could and couldn't go and fee-ing and taxing us to death to enjoy those things.

We didn't have a huge homeless problem.

In a lot of ways, the huge population increase wasn't really that much of a positive thing.
Did you ever stop to think that "wealth and equity" may not be at the top of the list for a lot of people?

IMHO, people moved here for the quality of life that existed here, then destroyed it.
Now they complain.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-14-2015 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2015, 06:23 PM
 
22,030 posts, read 28,489,983 times
Reputation: 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
So what is all this disdain for Californians? I don’t get it. If anything, they helped grow what little economy Oregon has, and surged your homes market price creating wealth and equity for all natives? That is a good thing and you guys should be grateful.
I like California a lot. It's just beautiful there. That said, you asked a question about why native Oregonians have "disdain" for Californians. I can only speak for myself, but attitudes like the one displayed in your post play a part in whatever animosity exists. And there's stuff like this:

Quote:
This may be very true...I was shocked when I took a job at a RE firm and the first introduction in a conference room, everyone introduced themselves and said they were a "Duck" or "Beaver". Coming from Silicon Valley where you have people from all over the globe...I was like "are these folks serious"?
I don't get how anyone can expect to make this sort of statement without being told to go back to Cal. What's the point? You thought it would be another Silicon Valley?

I don't understand those who move to Oregon and then complain or are "shocked" because it's not like where they came from.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-14-2015 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2015, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,050 posts, read 30,280,763 times
Reputation: 7845
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
A lot of us remember what life was like in Oregon before the big flood of people moving here. Life was good here.

Believe it or not, plenty of us had jobs or businesses, raised families, put our kids through school, wore clothes that weren't made from deer hide and beaver tails, actually owned cars, lived in real houses that weren't made from logs and mud, used electricity, had indoor plumbing and all those sorts of things before all you guys showed up to tell us how backwards and unhappy we were......then cause overcrowding, high taxes, social problems, ungodly traffic, etc, and then smugly tell us how good we have it now!

You know, we could actually drive to Vancouver from Oregon city in way less than an hour during the worst rush hours!

Not to mention all the outstanding outdoor recreational opportunities that we could enjoy without hordes of people telling us what we could and couldn't do, and where we could and couldn't go and fee-ing and taxing us to death to enjoy those things.

We didn't have a huge homeless problem.

In a lot of ways, the huge population increase wasn't really that much of a positive thing.
Did you ever stop to think that "wealth and equity" may not be at the top of the list for a lot of people?

IMHO, people moved here for the quality of life that existed here, then destroyed it.
Now they complain.
I think the quality of life is still amazing in Portland and Oregon, you just can't appease everyone that moves here, someone is always going to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2015, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,050 posts, read 30,280,763 times
Reputation: 7845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I like California a lot. It's just beautiful there. That said, you asked a question about why native Oregonians have "disdain" for Californians. I can only speak for myself, but attitudes like the one displayed in your post play a part in whatever animosity exists. And there's stuff like this:



I don't get how anyone can expect to make this sort of statement without being told to go back to Cal. What's the point? You thought it would be another Silicon Valley?

I don't understand those who move to Oregon and then complain or are "shocked" because it's not like where they came from.
I use to know this guy who moved to Portland and then complained how it wasn't like LA, how everything is always open in LA, how things were so much better there. Thankfully he finally moved back to LA and I don't talk to him anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 PM
 
22,030 posts, read 28,489,983 times
Reputation: 17168
I used to visit my inlaws in the Silicon Valley all the time, and I really liked it there. But it seemed obvious that it wasn't much like anywhere in Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2015, 09:01 PM
 
981 posts, read 1,147,535 times
Reputation: 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I like California a lot. It's just beautiful there. That said, you asked a question about why native Oregonians have "disdain" for Californians. I can only speak for myself, but attitudes like the one displayed in your post play a part in whatever animosity exists. And there's stuff like this:



I don't get how anyone can expect to make this sort of statement without being told to go back to Cal. What's the point? You thought it would be another Silicon Valley?

I don't understand those who move to Oregon and then complain or are "shocked" because it's not like where they came from.


I think it's very limiting when a person defines themselves by their college years. Can you imagine starting a business meeting and you go around the table and folks are like "I graduated from Harvard, MIT, Stanford, etc." That's not normal, nor is it professional.


Grow up. I also don't want to hear what fraternity or sorority you were in either. It's sad there are only the two major universities in Oregon and it really seems to define where people will get a job. This goes back to the earlier post on favoritism given to OSU or UO alumni, a situation transplants should know about when considering a move.


That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2015, 09:16 PM
 
22,030 posts, read 28,489,983 times
Reputation: 17168
Even though it's none of your business, I wasn't in a sorority (but I did go to OSU ) and I'm quite grown up despite your gratuitous insults. Adults don't expect every location and every situation to correspond to what they think they should be, and it's beyond me why anyone thought that Portland was going to be like living in Cal. Fortunately, I'm in a position where it's not necessary for me to hire on at Portland tech. companies so I wouldn't know about them going around the table announcing what schools they went to, but it just doesn't strike me as something to cry about. Little weird, maybe, but oh well.

Coming from SV, I would have expected Portland to be a bit more provincial; it's only common sense. The university/football thing seems silly to me, but not "shocking;" even the most casual observation shows that Portland and the SV are quite different. You were also complaining about the weather in the PNW. Didn't you research that before you moved? Anyway, you've provided a pretty good example of the type of transplant that many Oregonians find annoying. You seem unhappy and angry because things aren't like where you came from.

I hope you find what you're looking for. You sound a little bitter about your experience in Portland and keep comparing it to Cal.; perhaps that's where you belong.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-14-2015 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2015, 09:18 PM
 
148 posts, read 148,344 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I kind of do want to know, but at the same time, I can see why everyone passed it up. As my dad always told me, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Vehicle remarketing, the base salary is around 35k and bonuses are anywhere between 10-25k a year. I guess Portlanders thought is was too good to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top