U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Portland difficult to find a career level job?
YES 50 64.94%
NO 27 35.06%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:32 PM

9,626 posts, read 10,096,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Amen!
And when they do, I hope Portland's population reduces by about 20%.

I believe Portland has finally hit a plateau.
See, I don't want to pick on you personally, Mike, but... lets get reductio ad absurdium... if Portland's population were reduced by 20% that would be some powerful force that wouldn't stop there. Growth is important in any system. But most of us don't want to see it. I know people who commute 70 miles daily, each way, to their jobs in Beaverton. They live so far from anyone or anything, its ridiculous. No cellphone service, no internet, no anything local. They are fine, but their son is now certifiable. They hate people, except for their family and friends. If it were possible, they wouldn't' mind a whole lot if Beaverton's population crashed by 50%. Yeah the traffic issue would go away but so would other trappings of civilization. Some of you have no idea about how many is too many. Population density in Portland is 4.5K/sq. mi. that is about the national average. NYC overall has a pop. density of almost 30K/sq. mi. Communities within NYC are well into the 35K+/sq.mi. (Hoboken) and 50K/sq. mi. (Union City). I've lived in these places. They aren't hellholes. You all complain about how awful things are here and COMPLETELY ignore the fact that without people you have no tax base. Portland with 20% fewer people would be unlivable*. I wouldn't stay. When Portland goes offline, me and mine are headed to The Netherlands. Population density just about equal to Portland's. Very liveable.

Edit: *I should clarify, because no doubt some of you are reading this and thinking, huh? 20% fewer people, what's not to like. I agree, its fine, if you get to choose who leaves. But you don't. The top 20% don't have to leave, the bottom 20% can't leave... so the top of the Middle Class would leave, and there would be hell to pay.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 12-16-2015 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM

148 posts, read 148,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
So, even you don't know what it is you do, but reasonable people should jump on the phone when they read your classified ad... ... alrighty then...
You would think no experience necessary and paid training would have at least been enticing for someone unemployed, I wouldn't rule out anything if I was employed. We process rentals and lease returns, its not very complicated, but its a small industry.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,045,161 times
Portland isn't unique in how many people moved there or how it went from being "underrated" to "overrated" and from cheaper to expensive. What is sort of unique about Portland is how many people I've heard actually hope that the city suffers from economic collapse or some sort of other disaster so that "at least people would stop moving here."

Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,799,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
You would think no experience necessary and paid training would have at least been enticing for someone unemployed, I wouldn't rule out anything if I was employed. We process rentals and lease returns, its not very complicated, but its a small industry.
Looks like they'll just have to offer a lower salary.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:48 PM

21,697 posts, read 24,260,216 times
Some people just don't want to work.

Man shames panhandlers who refused his job offer

Old 12-16-2015, 01:52 PM

4,795 posts, read 6,107,091 times
Quote:
See, I don't want to pick on you personally, Mike, but... lets get reductio ad absurdium... if Portland's population were reduced by 20% that would be some powerful force that wouldn't stop there. Growth is important in any system. But most of us don't want to see it. I know people who commute 70 miles daily, each way, to their jobs in Beaverton. They live so far from anyone or anything, its ridiculous. No cellphone service, no internet, no anything local. They are fine, but their son is now certifiable. They hate people, except for their family and friends. If it were possible, they wouldn't' mind a whole lot if Beaverton's population crashed by 50%. Yeah the traffic issue would go away but so would other trappings of civilization. Some of you have no idea about how many is too many. Population density in Portland is 4.5K/sq. mi. that is about the national average. NYC overall has a pop. density of almost 30K/sq. mi. Communities within NYC are well into the 35K+/sq.mi. (Hoboken) and 50K/sq. mi. (Union City). I've lived in these places. They aren't hellholes. You all complain about how awful things are here and COMPLETELY ignore the fact that without people you have no tax base. Portland with 20% fewer people would be unlivable. I wouldn't stay. When Portland goes offline, me and mine are headed to The Netherlands. Population density just about equal to Portland's. Very liveable.
I believe that you really tend to overthink things sometimes.
I know that's not going to happen, but a reduction in population would be nice and eliminate some problems we are currently having.

But me, an older person that has lived in Portland all my life, remembers what Portland and Oregon were like before the big influx of transplants, and believe me, it wasn't that bad.

I'll be honest, there are a lot of things that Portland's growth has improved, but there are also a lot of things that the growth has ruined.

We all have debated all this crap endlessly in the past, so that's all I am going to say.

P.S. I also don't care about your comparisons to cities on the east coast.
This is Oregon, not Hoboken, or NYC.
Apples to Oranges IMHO.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:17 PM

21,697 posts, read 24,260,216 times
I always think of Portland as "before and after." I was living in Portland before the influx. I liked it better then. I think it was more unique and had more character. That's why I moved there during the "before" times. Now I think it's more like many other cities that aspired to be of a certain type which has created much the problems those cities have today.

Now don't shoot me, it's just a matter of preference. For those that like Portland as it is today that's fine. I realize that many aren't in a position to make comparisons because they weren't here for the "befores and afters." The city meets their requirements of today's definition of improvements or hipness or whatever. I wonder, though, what they would think if they could time travel and see some of the things they have missed.

Portland had room to grow for sure but growth comes with a price and I don't think Portland has handled it very well.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 PM

241 posts, read 425,052 times
Well, here I go again, one of the exceptions. I've been here in Portland almost 6 years now. What I came here for is still here, and I haven't been disappointed. I came here for cool, rainy weather much of the time and year-round temps that would seldom keep me indoors, plentiful public transportation, a veg-friendly environment and a writer's mecca. I've found all that; I also have an interesting group of thinking friends here, the kind I never had during my 25 years in Florida.

I came here with a telecommuting job; I still work for the same company and it could pay a bit better, but it meets my needs. The rent increases have been a bit disheartening, but I'm still holding my own and got a better deal on my upcoming lease renewal than I was expecting.

I do think about what it would be like to live elsewhere when I see how low housing costs are in other parts of the country, but moving to one of those places would seriously impact my quality of life, so after a few minutes I stop considering that. I guess you could say I'm one of the successful transplant stories; I wanted very much to move here, did my due diligence, was not disappointed and I'm happy to still be here. So yay!

Old 12-16-2015, 05:28 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,602,666 times
Quote:
Population density in Portland is 4.5K/sq. mi. that is about the national average. NYC overall has a pop. density of almost 30K/sq. mi. Communities within NYC are well into the 35K+/sq.mi. (Hoboken) and 50K/sq. mi. (Union City). I've lived in these places. They aren't hellholes.
Couple seemingly important differences:

1) NYC/Boston, etc. have "always" been dense, or at least they've had time to come through many of their growing pains.

NYC has roughly the same population density today it had in 1950. The real boom in density in NYC came between 1890-1930, but the modern city as we know it was built at least to a significant extent in the post-war years through a combo of Wall St. dollars and federal investment.

The question isn't whether you'd live in Union City now, but whether you'd have enjoyed it between 1920-1930 when it grew from 21k to 59k. Note that the population today is only around 67k. It's barely budged in 85 years. Over the decades it has "grown" primarily in the sense of better accommodating the population it has.

2) That level of density requires infrastructure. Infrastructure requires capital. We have some industry, but it's no post-war Wall St, and likewise for federal dollars there's no reason to think it's going to rain federal money here either.

Just picking on transit, in terms of managing that level of population the MAX would be a bad joke, and even the layout provides slim/no service to significant swaths of SE/NE where in theory there's the most terrain for infill.

Yes, high density can be done well, but not every place that's high-density is one you'd actually want to live.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,024,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Some people just don't want to work.

Man shames panhandlers who refused his job offer
Of course they don't want to work. Many of these panhandlers make more than minimum wage standing on a street corner begging for hand-outs. If they can make more begging than working, why would they work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or