Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Portland difficult to find a career level job?
YES 50 64.10%
NO 28 35.90%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times

Advertisements

Borntorun1180,

I am very sorry that Portland has sparked such a negative attitude in you.

Maybe it's time for a personal change.

Your posts may be cathartic for you, but I have to say, nobody is taking you seriously.

Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 11:12 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntorun1180 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see inner Portland be a ghost town filled with strung out gutter trash and welfare moochers as the developers figure out how to get people to move into their overpriced apartments.
That doesn't make any sense. The developers aren't having trouble finding people to move into their overpriced apartments, that's why they're overpriced. The problem with Portland is that it's completely in the other direction, it's too popular rather than becoming a ghost town anytime soon. Even if things slowed down and people stopped moving to Portland in high numbers, it wouldn't become what you're predicting for a while. Neighborhoods can gentrify relatively quickly, but de-gentrification needs some sort of dramatic circumstance for a mass exodus of home owners.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 12-21-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 07:10 PM

346 posts, read 464,242 times
Just ignore him, fellas. He's just another wingnut who doesn't like Portland or it's liberal politics. Why he spends time here posting rather than packing his moving van is beyond me.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
That doesn't make any sense. The developers aren't having trouble finding people to move into their overpriced apartments, that's why they're overpriced. The problem with Portland is that it's completely in the other direction, it's too popular rather than becoming a ghost town anytime soon. Even if things slowed down and people stopped moving to Portland in high numbers, it wouldn't become what you're predicting for a while. Neighborhoods can gentrify relatively quickly, but de-gentrification needs some sort of dramatic circumstance for a mass exodus of home owners.
I don't think it was supposed to make sense.

Logic and reason have given way to blind hatred because Portland didn't work out for the poster.

borntorun1180 should probably let developers know that they should stop building expensive high rises since everyone is fleeing and there won't be anyone but drug addicts left to inhabit them.

In reality Portland is in fact becoming a hard place for people of modest means to get by. Of course that doesn't mean Portland is failing, any more than San Francisco, Seattle, or Manhattan are failing just because they're expensive.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntorun1180 View Post
I was smart enough to transfer here with a job unlike some of the bums and burnouts I have met here who seem to be happy being a waste of space in society.

But Portland is an overrated city who is about to hit a recession hard as people flee from this place.
Actually, the Bureau of Labor Statistics says that in just the months from June through October, the average wage in Portland metro rose from $25.65 an hour to $26.66.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:27 PM

48 posts, read 54,678 times
I don't need to work but I want to work because my current "job" is winding down now -- my current job being marketing my latest patented invention on which everything that can be done has been done and now it's not much more than a matter of waiting for potential licensees to evaluate and decide. Best case scenario though is a year or two from now my relatively niche invention will generate what amounts to a part-time income without requiring much if any effort on my part.

In the meantime I've been sending out my resume for the last few months because I'm anxious to rejoin a design team and sink my teeth into something new. Despite what I thought was a pretty strong resume though I haven't even landed one interview. Maybe it's me but I thought a mid-1990's degree from a top five engineering school, high g.p.a., ten recent U.S. patents, multitudes of sucessful, documented product designs, good references, fluent in spoken Mandarin and strong CAD/CAE skills would at least open a door or two. The one possible blemish on my resume though is that I had my own engineering and consulting business in Asia for the last fifteen years and recently shut it down to return to the U.S. for my son's education. The plus side though is I have a wealth of experience conducting business and other operations throughout Asia.

None of this has landed me even a single interview in the Portland area though. Only two companies have even responded and that was to tell me I wasn't quite right for their senior mechanical engineer position requring an inventive, hands on engineering type.

My wife has told me just to let it go and enjoy life but the thought of doing nothing drives me batty. Plus I'm starting to take this whole thing personally. On the other hand maybe it's not me. Maybe Portland really is closed for business and just not hiring.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:20 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_m View Post
I don't need to work but I want to work because my current "job" is winding down now -- my current job being marketing my latest patented invention on which everything that can be done has been done and now it's not much more than a matter of waiting for potential licensees to evaluate and decide. Best case scenario though is a year or two from now my relatively niche invention will generate what amounts to a part-time income without requiring much if any effort on my part.

In the meantime I've been sending out my resume for the last few months because I'm anxious to rejoin a design team and sink my teeth into something new. Despite what I thought was a pretty strong resume though I haven't even landed one interview. Maybe it's me but I thought a mid-1990's degree from a top five engineering school, high g.p.a., ten recent U.S. patents, multitudes of sucessful, documented product designs, good references, fluent in spoken Mandarin and strong CAD/CAE skills would at least open a door or two. The one possible blemish on my resume though is that I had my own engineering and consulting business in Asia for the last fifteen years and recently shut it down to return to the U.S. for my son's education. The plus side though is I have a wealth of experience conducting business and other operations throughout Asia.

None of this has landed me even a single interview in the Portland area though. Only two companies have even responded and that was to tell me I wasn't quite right for their senior mechanical engineer position requring an inventive, hands on engineering type.

My wife has told me just to let it go and enjoy life but the thought of doing nothing drives me batty. Plus I'm starting to take this whole thing personally. On the other hand maybe it's not me. Maybe Portland really is closed for business and just not hiring.
Hmmm is it possible you want to much money? Are you sending in salary requiremets? I was getting 75k-90k at my old job and just took a pay cut to move to a less stressful Quality Engineer position for a small company.

I wish I did not need to work. Work for yourself. Get a bench top CNC machine and 3D printer and go to town. Create a job!

Old 12-24-2015, 02:08 AM

48 posts, read 54,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Hmmm is it possible you want to much money? Are you sending in salary requiremets? I was getting 75k-90k at my old job and just took a pay cut to move to a less stressful Quality Engineer position for a small company.

I wish I did not need to work. Work for yourself. Get a bench top CNC machine and 3D printer and go to town. Create a job!
I didn't list my salary history or "requirement" in my resume. My primary goal is to use my abilities on interesting, challenging projects. As far as pay goes my only requirement is that it be what others doing the same work in the Portland area are being paid.

I could easily "create my own job" because that's what I've been doing the last fifteen years. The problem is it costs money and I'm already 150K into my current project (patented invention) and need it to pay for itself first before I can justify investing more money in a new project. If I were to go that route though I'd just go back to Taiwan because my contacts and resources there are much better value and capability than anything available here. Most likely -- like so many others here it seems -- that's what I'll end up having to do.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:15 AM

148 posts, read 178,483 times
Quote:
I didn't list my salary history or "requirement" in my resume. My primary goal is to use my abilities on interesting, challenging projects. As far as pay goes my only requirement is that it be what others doing the same work in the Portland area are being paid.

I could easily "create my own job" because that's what I've been doing the last fifteen years. The problem is it costs money and I'm already 150K into my current project (patented invention) and need it to pay for itself first before I can justify investing more money in a new project. If I were to go that route though I'd just go back to Taiwan because my contacts and resources there are much better value and capability than anything available here. Most likely -- like so many others here it seems -- that's what I'll end up having to do.
Portland will continue to grow whether you leave or not

Old 12-24-2015, 09:53 AM

846 posts, read 609,948 times
Quote:

Your opinion is based upon analytical observation and not on a emotional response. Yet, some will fail to see the difference.

For now, employment opportunities for me is acceptable. However, it is possible that this may not be true a few years from now. I constantly evaluate what is best for me and the family unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland