Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 AM
fys fys started this thread

13 posts, read 61,521 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Will be moving to Portland soon and tconsidering the nob hill neighborhood, but was wondering , what makes this area "San Francisco style neighborhood" like i keep hearing about ? how is nw 23rd are/nob hill like San Francisco ??
is it really ?? that would be cool if so.

Also , the place i am looking to rent is on Everett Street and NW23rd basically, is this a good location ?? safe ?? , close to "everything" ??

Also, i was told, that the closer one is to Burnside Street, the worse it is ?? noisier, etc ?? and on the map, i see that Everett st. is kind of close to Burnside, even though it's on NW23rd ave....

any help would be appreciated !
thank you -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:46 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,604,108 times
It's like SF because it's full of Victorian style homes, is very densely concentrated, it's hard to park, it's full of various stores and restaurants, etc. 23rd and Everett is fine. You're close to the buses that run on Burnside and you're also about 6 blocks from the streetcar. The area is alphabetical, which is why it's also called the alphabet district. So at Everett you're three blocks from Burnside and 6 blocks from Lovejoy, which is where the streetcar is. You're walking distance to downtown, and most everything you'll need.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:55 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,729,982 times
Picking a place sight unseen is not such a hot idea - a coworker, new to the area, moved into a gorgeous (but very expensive) apartment just off 23rd, only to find she was directly above the trash bin that the restaurant next door dumped all the wine bottles and other glass in just after 2am closing. Also, in that neighborhood, unless you can use public transport to get to work/school/whatever, you really want off-street parking.

If you use one of the map programs (like google or the msn one), you can usually get an aerial photo view of the area, and that'll help a bit (would you be in a 2 story apartment surrounded on either side by 10 story apartments, and other considerations).

Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,618,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fys View Post
Hello,

Will be moving to Portland soon and tconsidering the nob hill neighborhood, but was wondering , what makes this area "San Francisco style neighborhood" like i keep hearing about ? how is nw 23rd are/nob hill like San Francisco ??
is it really ?? that would be cool if so.

Also , the place i am looking to rent is on Everett Street and NW23rd basically, is this a good location ?? safe ?? , close to "everything" ??

Also, i was told, that the closer one is to Burnside Street, the worse it is ?? noisier, etc ?? and on the map, i see that Everett st. is kind of close to Burnside, even though it's on NW23rd ave....

any help would be appreciated !
thank you -
Looks towards the Johnson street area and try not to drop below 14th. If you do then look towards Lovejoy, you really have to cross the bridge onto burnside before the neighborhood changes. The density will cause you to be next to dumpsters. The garbage guy has to walk in and push out the container onto the street ect. They close the onstreet parking once a month I think to sweep, just regular urban living. I think it looks more like a tight college campus rather than hilly SF. Really pretty though.The 405 wraps around the back of this area so it is noisey. good luck

Old 02-04-2008, 04:37 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,192,176 times
I had seen a gorgeous condo on 23rd Street. I guess you do have to be careful. I had never thought about the location of trash bins, but now I will.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-04-2008, 06:09 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,604,108 times
23rd and Everett is a nice area. I think that people who don't LIKE to live in very urban environments only focus on the noise and parking issue, which is really pretty standard in any kind of dense urban area, however, if you like walking to a zillion restaurants, etc. and don't plan on being tied to your car all the time you'll like this area a lot. Burnside is 3 blocks away, the 405 is about 10 blocks away so you're not in a horribly loud area, unless just general street noise in an issue, but I assume if you want to live in a dense area you assume you'll hear some street noise from time to time.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,618,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
23rd and Everett is a nice area. I think that people who don't LIKE to live in very urban environments only focus on the noise and parking issue, which is really pretty standard in any kind of dense urban area, however, if you like walking to a zillion restaurants, etc. and don't plan on being tied to your car all the time you'll like this area a lot. Burnside is 3 blocks away, the 405 is about 10 blocks away so you're not in a horribly loud area, unless just general street noise in an issue, but I assume if you want to live in a dense area you assume you'll hear some street noise from time to time.
Yep, I agree, anytime I stay up in that neighborhood I usually do not notice much noise. Many of the newer buildings and remodels have the sound reduction windows. Most nicer rentals will come with at least one off street parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: