Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,860,324 times

Advertisements

may have a job soon there, How liberal is the city? Or is the whole Liberal vs. Conservative thing is way over blown.

The Pictures and history is rich, which I am very interested in Western History. It seems to have everything any other city has.

So what is the pulse? Tired of tourist and the South Florida Traffic jam and shooting in Hialeah every other day! Honest opinions please and no sour grapes!

I miss the wilderness and the path less travel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:57 PM

311 posts, read 346,581 times
Overall I consider Portland very liberal. That said, some of my best friends are rather conservative and love it here.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
Overall I consider Portland very liberal. That said, some of my best friends are rather conservative and love it here.
Thank You! The Weather is cooler year round so that is very good.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:03 AM

958 posts, read 1,140,297 times
Easily one of the most liberal cities in america. As a liberal, you will probably feel very comfortable there.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,885,395 times
I am a liberal but Portland was a bit too liberal for me. I moved to the suburbs where Thre are very conservative people mixed with moderate to liberal types.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:40 AM

270 posts, read 323,415 times
I used to live in the Portland area but have not been back for 15 years, so take this for what it's worth: I knew Oregon as being essentially a red state with a couple blue islands, and by far the biggest and bluest island is Portland. Much as Yankeemama said, Portland is extremely liberal, and will gleefully freak out anyone with even a hint of interest in the conservative/traditional. Its suburbs are (were?) also as she described: you could find liberals, moderates, and conservatives there, and the general vibe was moderate-conservative. Further out past the suburbs were rural conservatives.

At the time, the liberal vs. conservative thing was very noticeable and I haven't seen anything to imply anything has changed. Portland thinks its suburbs are boring and uncool; Portland's suburbs think Portland is crazy. That won't apply 100% to everyone of course, but was the general mood.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:57 AM

Default Portland and People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I am a liberal but Portland was a bit too liberal for me. I moved to the suburbs where Thre are very conservative people mixed with moderate to liberal types.
Agree with you view that too much of any group is bad. Either group in their political frenzy drives me crazy and at the end of the day we all need the same things. The good Lord, Security, a good job, home and Family is what matters at the end of the day.

We will end in the out edges of town or even Vancouver because I am use to wide open spaces of Arizona.

Even though I am Conservative (not Republican) common respect does win at the end of the day. Every city needs balance. Supermajority of anything historically has issues.

I Love the outdoors and the respect for Nature and Historical Sites is important. Me and my camera has traveled! What I love bout AZ.

Portland has from the out look everything we look for. Even a mountain in the distance! Instead of 5 hours from Phx to San Diego the beach is never far.(As chillie as it may be)
Portland kinda reminds me of the cultural differences of Tacoma and Seattle when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis in the day.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,882,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Easily one of the most liberal cities in america. As a liberal, you will probably feel very comfortable there.
I don't think the o.p. is a liberal...

Old 02-12-2016, 03:01 AM

300 posts, read 266,086 times
Liberalism is a cult.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:57 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,418,886 times
Quote:
At the time, the liberal vs. conservative thing was very noticeable and I haven't seen anything to imply anything has changed. Portland thinks its suburbs are boring and uncool; Portland's suburbs think Portland is crazy. That won't apply 100% to everyone of course, but was the general mood.
It's still pretty much the same way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: