Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 21,834 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to sell my family on relocating from So. Cal to Portland. Out of 4 of us, two really want to go, one is pretty sure and one is not. I want to take a trip in June and take a boat tour along the river(s). Any suggestions? I have two teenage daughters, one will love the skyline, the other will be impressed with falls and nature.

Any other must-see areas of Portland? Any quaint/artsy areas of town for fun shopping (not upscale designer stuff, more like coffee-shops, book stores, crafts, etc..)

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 05:21 PM

210 posts, read 251,299 times
Take a cruise on the Portland Spirit or ride the OMSI speedboats. Go to Alberta street or Hawthorne boulevard for shopping.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:10 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,526,813 times
It's probably not as amazing as you think it will be. The Portland Spirit gives you a great view of industrial complexes, sewage plants, gravel quarries, freeway bridges, paper mills and Dunthorpe Mega mansions. The falls is actually pretty ugly at the end of the journey but there is a plan to restore it over the next decade.

If you want natural beauty, I suggest: The old gorge highway, Silver Falls State Park near Silverton and Ecola State Park on the coast.

The only thing I believe is artsy and quaint is Saturday Market under the Burnside bridge. But it's all a matter of opinion.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:19 AM

32,606 posts, read 47,873,838 times
Who is the one who doesn't want to move to Portland? If it is your spouse, you can turn your life into misery by living with spouse who didn't want to move and doesn't want to be there.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Who is the one who doesn't want to move to Portland? If it is your spouse, you can turn your life into misery by living with spouse who didn't want to move and doesn't want to be there.
It's my youngest daughter because of high school friends but honestly she doesn't do that much with them other than play online games which she can do anywhere! My spouse has to be 100% on-board, lol!

She likes ranch-style life and I'm sure there will be much for her to enjoy since we have relatives in Hillsboro and up in Pullman, WA.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
It's probably not as amazing as you think it will be. The Portland Spirit gives you a great view of industrial complexes, sewage plants, gravel quarries, freeway bridges, paper mills and Dunthorpe Mega mansions. The falls is actually pretty ugly at the end of the journey but there is a plan to restore it over the next decade.

If you want natural beauty, I suggest: The old gorge highway, Silver Falls State Park near Silverton and Ecola State Park on the coast.

The only thing I believe is artsy and quaint is Saturday Market under the Burnside bridge. But it's all a matter of opinion.
Wow, sounds awful, lol! Maybe a night trip would be better to see the skylights. Anyhow, I'll make a note of old gorge highway and Silver Falls. We currently live near Lake Elsinore, not sure if you are familiar with the "Inland Empire" down in So. Cal. It's a lot of scrub-brush hills (if you are lucky) most are just piles of rocks and dirt. Very little green or water, the lake itself is pretty foul, IMHO. It's all about motocross and other things we we don't relate to in this part of So. Cal. If we could live on the beach, great, but we don't have $700K for an average size house.

We lean "left" and at the moment we are pretty much in the bible-belt "Texas" of So. Cal. It's a great place for many who can relate and raise their families. We moved here to be near family for support when the kids were babies and have been stuck ever since.

I'd like to get out of here before I'm 50 if possible. I've lived in No. Cal. and enjoyed it aside from the high-cost of living and even there thought it could be more wet, cold and green! I'm ready for PNW living! Need to be near a big city for jobs and kids college choices. Portland seems like the best choice.

We'll probably end up in Beaverton or Hillsboro. I can't stop dreaming of pine trees, coffee houses and fewer white SUVs and trucks with dirt bikes in tow with "Not of This World" and stick families on the back window, lol! We are taking a trip to make sure dreams match reality in June.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:46 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,532,888 times
Friends are very important for high school students, is there any possibility of your waiting until she is through with that stage of her life?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:07 PM

892 posts, read 1,590,221 times
IMO, the jet boats give a better tour than the Spirit. The Spirit is overpriced with bad food. The jet boats are fun and fast but hope it is a warm day as you will get wet. I saw a sturgeon break the surface on a trip and that was incredible.

As far artsy/quaint - Saturday market is a good choice as would be the farmer's market (more food, less crafts). Also, you can head to NW 23rd or SE Hawthorne if it's not the weekend.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:46 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,532,888 times
I agree that the jet boats are more in keeping with the spirit of Portland. They leave by OMSI and a ride is guarinteed to get you wet!!

Old 02-25-2016, 11:43 PM

31 posts, read 42,852 times
Friends are important but so is positioning your family for opportunities that align with your future goals. On a partly sunny day���� I like to park near OMSI and walk across the Tilikum pedestrian bridge and go down toward the food carts and hop on a round trip ride on the Tram then walk back to the food carts for a snack.. Also head toward downtown and go into Powells Bookstore. Ask for a map of their bookstore. Check out Blue Star donuts then Voodoo donuts. Decide which one is better. Drive up to the Pittock Mansion and walk around the gardens and see the spectacular view from there. Make sure you get a good view of Mt Hood and Mt Saint Helens!
We moved four kids, 2 in HS mid year to Oregon not too long ago. We survived! It wasn't easy. There's a lot to do here and the kids will transition and continue to play online with their old friends while making new connections. Find a good high school with lots of clubs. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland