Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:25 PM

21 posts, read 42,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris714 View Post

Here are some of my concerns...

- jobs--I will need to get licensed as a LSW..AND find a job where a LCSW will supervise me for 2 years so I can then get licensed LCSW . I would like to work for Veterans Affairs, a psychiatric hospital or a private practice. (any LCSWs out there have advice pertaining to this?)

- rent--I heard rent is expensive there but not sure how it compares to where I am at now. What is the best neighborhood to live in (28 single, no kids, one small dog..moving there knowing no one)?

-cost of living compared to Illinois?

- is it hard to meet guys and make friends there?
I just moved from Chicago in November to Portland. I find Portland to be a large scale Wicker Park but without the violence. You will love the winters (rain isn't that bad) compared to Illinois.

Jobs- Cant really comment. I had one before moving but I hear its tough.

Rent- Crazy high. I live in an apartment that is half the size of the one I had in Wrigleyville but is $500 more expensive. And I live in the far outskirts of Portland (Mall 205 area). Its insane the cost of rent.

Cost of living- I find it cheaper then Chicago. Gas is cheaper. Food is more expensive. Beer is about the same. Many of the bars don't have covers whereas everything has a cover in Chiraq. No sales tax in Oregon. Parking is significantly cheaper here then Chicago. Utilities are cheaper as I haven't had to turn the heat on once.

-Friends- I am finding it more difficult to meet friends here. People are friendly but they are much more reserved. When I moved to Chicago everyone was loud and loves talking so it was easy to meet strangers. I need to start looking at clubs or something as the gym and bar scene has not worked for friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 09:54 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
St. Charles/Geneva is a nice area. I only skimmed, but guessing you don't go in to downtown Chicago all that often?

You could probably get a similar sort of vibe living/working in say, West/South Salem - about 60-80 minutes into the city, outside of the worst traffic. More affordable and more similar pace.

That said, it doesn't quite work if you do want to go the VA route.

As a few others have noted, Oregon produces a significant share of its own social workers (and public policy, etc. etc.) plus attracts a lot of those types from elsewhere. So outside of health/IT, most job markets are quite competitive, particularly in fields that tend to attract liberals in a city that tends to attract liberals.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevans View Post
-Friends- I am finding it more difficult to meet friends here. People are friendly but they are much more reserved. When I moved to Chicago everyone was loud and loves talking so it was easy to meet strangers. I need to start looking at clubs or something as the gym and bar scene has not worked for friends.
I recommend looking into Meetup. That's going to be your best bet, especially if you join a group that has recurring events (volunteering at the Food Bank, Sunday afternoon game days, etc) which tend to draw a core group of regulars.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 7,294 times
I don't go to downtown Chicago much unless it's for something special. Where I live isn't in the middle of nowhere (I can drive 5 min and get to every store and restaurant you could imagine) but it's not the city. But since I want to move out west by myself..no family or friends or boyfriend then I would much rather be in a "city" like Portland where I can easily socialize and go places. Now once I'm settled and start a family and have lived there awhile then I can imagine moving further out.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:26 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Quote:
But since I want to move out west by myself..no family or friends or boyfriend then I would much rather be in a "city" like Portland where I can easily socialize and go places.
I find this map to be pretty eye-opening. These are the median rents from about 10 months ago for one bedroom apartments in areas where you can easily "go places." They've likely gone up since then - one of my friends is trying to help her friend find a new place because her rent (in SE Portland) is increasing over $200/mo when her lease is up in March and she can't afford the increase; she's been in her current apartment for 10 years.

https://www.zumper.com/blog/2015/05/...t-this-spring/

Old 02-16-2016, 10:52 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
3.) culture...I love Portland's culture of nature, vegan/vegetarian, local shops, live music, walk/ride your bike places, dog friendly, liberal and free to be weird!
What will your rent budget be? The limited number of neighborhoods that meet this criteria will be very expensive. Rents in general will more than likely be much greater than those in the Midwest. I used to live in Chicago and still have friends who live there who pay less rent than I paid when I previously lived in Portland.

You would probably be better off considering the suburbs at least to begin with. They may be quieter but will also be more affordable and will be more amenable to accepting your dog. You can always drive to the city for entertainment. shopping etc. although those can also be found in the 'burbs as well.

Check out professional groups in your field in Oregon to determine the availability of jobs and demands for them. For some reason, it seems that Portland attracts LCSWs, LMTs and graphic artists by the bushelful making competition in those fields really fierce.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 7,294 times
As of now I don't have a rent budget because I have no idea what kind of money I will be making. I think I will know better once I get closer to graduating. I must say though I can't help but NOT be turned off by the high rent price. I know rent is a huge chunk of one's paycheck but I feel like it would be worth it because the city has so much to offer. But I still love everyone's feedback and advice it's great. I really appreciate it.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
I posted a thread really similar, in that I have my masters in counseling, and want to be a licensed LPC in either Portland or Seattle. Someone posted on my thread, towards the end, some good advice/options to think about, in terms of going about getting an internship, things to think about before getting licensed, etc. I know they suggested just getting licensed in Texas, where I live, but I don't want to wait that long! The LPC and LCSW requirements are different, but are similar in that each state has it's own requirements for number of hours and CEUs, etc. So before deciding on a city, you may want to look at those requirements, also. For me, the Northwest is more about moving close to family. It may be good to think about family proximity as well. I'm from the midwest too, and have lived in IL, IA, MN, WI, and feel your pain with the weather (why I came to Texas).
And hey, if you move up there and can't find a job, maybe we can open a group practice! Haha!
I'm that 'someone' you mention 4eversearching. You are in a very different situation than the OP. You are finished with school and your practicum. I hope you contacted the licensing boards to determine if they would accept your extra hours as part of your supervised hours to clinical licensure. There are reasons they may not. Also, in your unique case, you may want to move to WA as your family seems to be a big factor for you, which is fine. I'd contact your family first to see if you can move in.

I shared what I know and have seen with friends, but nothing says you see those tips as beneficial, which is fine. When you first posted you were noting that WA state required more training, 12 hrs. to be exact, which is how come you were looking at OR.

Get in touch with your family first, and they may know of jobs. Nothing says you have to work in you LPC training as you first move. It may be better for you to be physically present and then take your national exam. You might want to contact schools in WA state and ask where grads get jobs. Or just look yourself.

Just because I know the hassles of getting licensed and that first job doesn't mean any of that is right for you.

Good luck in your move and please let me know when your in WA and working

MSR

Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Im 28 and currently getting my masters in clinical social work (license clinical social worker (LCSW)). In about 2-3 years I will graduate and refuse to get licensed in Illinois. Illinois government is horrible for social workers. I currently live 60 miles/1 hours west of Chicago. I live in what I consider to be one of the best towns in Illinois (St. Charles, Geneva area) Geneva has been on a lot of lists as one of the best cities in Illinois. Its relatively safe, has a decent amount of things to do like bars,restaurants, park district things for kids. My reasons for wanting to leave Illinois are...1.) weather..Illinois weather is horrible. Winters are tons of snow, degrees ranging from 30 to -2 degrees (right now its 13) and summers are hot and humid. Its only nice in spring and Fall. I know it rains a lot in Portland but its better than snow! 2.) Illinois is also flat as hell and so boring (hey lets go hiking in a ****ing prairie...ugh). So the mountains and forests are a big draw for me. 3.) culture...I love Portlands culture of nature, vegan/vegetarian, local shops, live music, walk/ride your bike places, dog friendly, liberal and free to be weird!

Here are some of my concerns...

- jobs--I will need to get licensed as a LSW..AND find a job where a LCSW will supervise me for 2 years so I can then get licensed LCSW . I would like to work for Veterans Affairs, a psychiatric hospital or a private practice. (any LCSWs out there have advice pertaining to this?)

- rent--I heard rent is expensive there but not sure how it compares to where I am at now. What is the best neighborhood to live in (28 single, no kids, one small dog..moving there knowing no one)?

-cost of living compared to Illinois?

- is it hard to meet guys and make friends there?

Any advice as all is appreciated. I just want to see if Portland is right for me (I would love San Fransisco, Seattle, or California..but not sure I could afford those places).
Hi jmorris. Are you in a part-time or full-time program? Three years until you graduate is quite different than 4eversearching who has completed training. My best advice for you is to contact schools in OR and ask how you transfer. If you graduate from a university in Oregon you'll have Oregon supervisors and Oregon placements. It will be much easier to get licensed and hired for your first job. You'll also know several who are clinically licensed and able to supervise you. Your first employment will be with an agency, organization or other "company". No one comes straight out from school and goes into a private practice. You need the clinically supervised hours first and the independent license.

I agree with Minervah, there are an abundance of practitioners in Portland (and Seattle too). But since it could be up to three years until you graduate, now is the time to transfer to a school in OR so you at least have a better chance of getting a job when you graduate. I know many who had to leave OR and WA to find jobs in other states.

Otherwise, this is a very premature discussion. You have to complete your training first before any of the other factors matter. If you are in grad school in OR you'll have plenty of opportunities to make friends and meet guys at school.

A lot can change of who hires new grads in three years. You will do better if agencies, large private practices etc. know your work as a student. Any company/agency hiring you will have someone in place to supervise you.

BTW, you might want to review my posts to 4eversearching. Again, he/she's ready to graduate and get a job. S/he wrote some of what I shared with her/him.

Good luck in school and finding your own path to the PNW.

MSR

Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevans View Post
I just moved from Chicago in November to Portland. I find Portland to be a large scale Wicker Park but without the violence. You will love the winters (rain isn't that bad) compared to Illinois.

Jobs- Cant really comment. I had one before moving but I hear its tough.

Rent- Crazy high. I live in an apartment that is half the size of the one I had in Wrigleyville but is $500 more expensive. And I live in the far outskirts of Portland (Mall 205 area). Its insane the cost of rent.

Cost of living- I find it cheaper then Chicago. Gas is cheaper. Food is more expensive. Beer is about the same. Many of the bars don't have covers whereas everything has a cover in Chiraq. No sales tax in Oregon. Parking is significantly cheaper here then Chicago. Utilities are cheaper as I haven't had to turn the heat on once.

Very good post, Smevans. I hope others read and understand it.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland