Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,605 times

Advertisements

@JasonF: You say you also work in Hillsboro but never lived there. What other areas would you consider instead that are still convenient in terms of commute (Max) but get me better quality housing for about the same price? Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
You should do whatever you want to do and do your own research. People can tell you what they know but it may not be the right thing for you to base your decision on.

It sounds like your main goal is meeting someone. Honestly, I have never met someone who has married or found a meaningful relationship just by walking around in a urban area where there is night life or going to bars. These days that kind of thing is done through social media and dating sites/apps. By all accounts Portland is bad for singles used to normal singles scenes; there are many threads on this. So I would look for what you are wanting without that in mind.

Apartments are first come first serve. Fair Housing laws demand it. The market is so hot its become like a job interview. There are many highly qualified candidates waiting in line for apartments to come open months in advance. Have all your ducks lined up employment offer or transfer paper work in hand and then you just have to do what everyone else does and pay 40-70 dollars and wait in line. Even that won't guarantee anything. You have to be super proactive in this market. My wife has had a call and app fee from an interested party within 3 minutes of posting an ad on Craigslist. They never go an hour before they have an interested party. They have one hot property that now has 18 people waiting on one unit. This property is on the MAX line in a not so great neighborhood. However they have two apartments not in desirable neighbor hoods or near max lines that are losing tenants. In Portland it's LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION and the locations you are interested in are hot. You may honestly want to look in a less desirable area and drive.

Everyone moves here with the same intentions then ends up doing something totally different.

It's like a broken record. "I want a place that's walkable, in a trendy neighborhood, with great night life, access to mass transit, good for singles in their 20s, for $1000-1500 dollars."

3 months later. "I moved to Portland. I live in a large complex in Beaverton in a 2/1 that costs $1100 mo, has a meh walk score, one dive bar and large shopping complex and I drive my car to work every day because tri met is not as good as everyone told me it was." Those who do realize their dream usually cry uncle and move to the burbs after their rent increases 30% in 2 years.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:46 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
3 months later. "I moved to Portland. I live in a large complex in Beaverton in a 2/1 that costs $1100 mo, has a meh walk score, one dive bar and large shopping complex and I drive my car to work every day because tri met is not as good as everyone told me it was." Those who do realize their dream usually cry uncle and move to the burbs after their rent increases 30% in 2 years.
Lol. Hard to dispute that.

Even $1100 in Beaverton for a 2/1 is harder and harder to come by.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
It sounds like your main goal is meeting someone. Honestly, I have never met someone who has married or found a meaningful relationship just by walking around in a urban area where there is night life or going to bars. These days that kind of thing is done through social media and dating sites/apps. By all accounts Portland is bad for singles used to normal singles scenes; there are many threads on this. So I would look for what you are wanting without that in mind.
As a single person, I can confirm there is a lot of truth in the above paragraph, especially the bolded part. And if you aren't photogenic, you are not likely to have luck with online dating.

This area seems to like dating in theory a lot more than in practice.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:18 AM

379 posts, read 339,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Affordability if you don't want a shared living situation.

As for meeting people, join the 20's/30's Awesome Stuff Meetup Group. They tend to have events on the west side. Several other groups are also west side specific, but will likely be a much older target audience than what you are looking for.
20's/30's is pretty prolific indeed- though I've noticed a larger number of people in their 40's and 50's going to their events lately (nothing wrong with that, just noting it).

Old 02-23-2016, 01:36 PM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
rent here is getting totally out of control. it's disturbing but I guess that's what happens. We have lived in the same place for 10 years they built a shopping center across the street and it SUCKS more cars on the road people do not pay attention. They try parking their cars here because they di not build enough spaces ( a parking structure).

My hubby commutes from Beaverton to downtown every day and he enjoys it. He takes one of the express busses but in the past he has also taken the MAX.

If you work in Hillsboro and live in Goose Hollow the commute may not be too bad because most people are coming into the city in the morning. But I am not sure as it seems no matter when you drive traffic can be horrible.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
If you work in Hillsboro and live in Goose Hollow the commute may not be too bad because most people are coming into the city in the morning. But I am not sure as it seems no matter when you drive traffic can be horrible.
I don't think there's actually all that much spread between in-bound and out-bound commuters, but I can't easily find the data broken up.

I did find this neat little map:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TDATA/...w_Map_2014.pdf

I wonder if, in the next addition, they'll add another tier to better differentiate the purples.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:09 PM

Played with the google maps traffic flows a bit, and they show that in the morning (8 am) the eastbound lanes are more congested, generally slow all the way back to 217. Which is consistent with your point.

However if you shift to the 4pm window, it's again the eastbound lanes that are clogged on average. So the issue seems to be that whichever way you're going, you have to be eastbound at some point.

I've made the argument before that the real problem on 26 is engineering and the design of the N/S merges onto 405, and that seems to be the case if one assumes google's data holds value. Though if you're going downtown, the center lane for that purpose is usually the best of the three, assuming you don't have a-holes trying to bypass several miles of backup and then slowing/stopping to sneak in a late merge.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM

23 posts, read 37,922 times
Default Renting in Portland...

Quick tip...IF you can... I would look to buy.. or lease-option to own.

Rent in Portland is steep right now and it won't change for the better anytime soon.
You would be saving yourself a lot of money if you invested your money into actually owning a home!

WELCOME !

Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
20's/30's is pretty prolific indeed- though I've noticed a larger number of people in their 40's and 50's going to their events lately (nothing wrong with that, just noting it).
I know several organizers in the 20's/30's group cross-post their events to other groups which don't have age restrictions. That's likely why you are seeing that. I've noticed that for all the members that are in the 20's/30's group, RSVPs for events are miniscule and this area has a standard 50% no show rate. So they cross-post in hopes of a bigger turnout/better event. (I've been a Meetup organizer for almost 8 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland