Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 12:09 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,201 times

Advertisements

Is Portland friendly to newcomers? I'm a 50-something single female looking to semi-retire in Portland. I love bigger cities with all the amenities, culture and opportunities for part-time work, etc. Portland is very liveable and civilized in many ways. I hope I can find a nice apartment, potentially in the city, and plan a visit in March or April to look at apartments. I have excellent credit and excellent previous rental references, and am hoping it won't be too much of a problem to find a rental when I visit, as a retiree. I have been reading on other posts about the difficulty of finding a rental for someone from out of state, but I'll be visiting there and going on "apartment interviews" and seeing places first-hand. So, I'm hoping it won't be a problem. In general, is Portland friendly to newcomers? And is the difficulty in finding a rental for a person out of state just an anomoly, or is Portland not friendly to outsiders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 01:39 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
I think the problem is that there's more of a premium on affordable apartments, so the landlords are more able to pick and choose their tenants. So they also get snapped up fairly quickly.

I don't think that most Portlanders (who can speak for them all?) have a problem with out-of-staters. I would, however, suggest that newcomers not spend a lot of time telling whomever about how much nicer they did things wherever they came from. Compliment the city, ask questions, and Portlanders will respond in kind.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Rentals are indeed difficult to come by because there are more people who need apartments than there are apartments who need people. If you go out to the burbs you can find something but to find something in town is difficult.

ow I am talking about small neighborhoods within the city where there are not too many rentals so landlords can pick and choose their tenants. My last couple of apartments, including the one I am in now were attained because I lived in the neighborhoods long enough to know the landlords and how they treated their tenants. I made inquiries of the tenants as to how they were treated and even made acquaintance with a couple of the apartment owners. I found this was necessary having gone through some bad apartment experiences since Portland has little legal protection for tenants

Sometimes if you are in the right place at the right time you can get lucky. The best way to find a place if not word of mouth is to go looking for rental signs in a neighborhood you think you will like. Keep in mind though, that for a really great place to live one often has to ask the landlord to place their names on waiting list. That's what mine does. He hardly ever needs to put a sign out for a vacancy.

A couple of other things, I don't know what your skills are but keep in mind that Portland employers are not kind towards older workers. I won't go into examples but I can tell you from my experience and friends in their 50's and 60's that to be out of work at those ages is more difficult than for younger people. The job situation at best is not so good for most people in this town. It's just more difficult for older folks.

Finally have you checked out the cost of living here? It's pretty high compared to many other places.

Best of luck in moving to Portland. I hope you do find what you need.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Polite? Yes.
Friendly? No.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Rentals are indeed difficult to come by because there are more people who need apartments than there are apartments who need people. If you go out to the burbs you can find something but to find something in town is difficult.

ow I am talking about small neighborhoods within the city where there are not too many rentals so landlords can pick and choose their tenants. My last couple of apartments, including the one I am in now were attained because I lived in the neighborhoods long enough to know the landlords and how they treated their tenants. I made inquiries of the tenants as to how they were treated and even made acquaintance with a couple of the apartment owners. I found this was necessary having gone through some bad apartment experiences since Portland has little legal protection for tenants

Sometimes if you are in the right place at the right time you can get lucky. The best way to find a place if not word of mouth is to go looking for rental signs in a neighborhood you think you will like. Keep in mind though, that for a really great place to live one often has to ask the landlord to place their names on waiting list. That's what mine does. He hardly ever needs to put a sign out for a vacancy.

A couple of other things, I don't know what your skills are but keep in mind that Portland employers are not kind towards older workers. I won't go into examples but I can tell you from my experience and friends in their 50's and 60's that to be out of work at those ages is more difficult than for younger people. The job situation at best is not so good for most people in this town. It's just more difficult for older folks.

Finally have you checked out the cost of living here? It's pretty high compared to many other places.

Best of luck in moving to Portland. I hope you do find what you need.
I really appreciate the information and advice. I have great skills, excellent experience and excellent references. I realize "age" can be a factor, though I'm not looking for "career" position, just an office job with benefits. The economy in Oregon has to be better than Michigan, which is in the pits. As far as the cost of living, I'm looking for a studio apartment in the $700 range, so I'll probably need to look outside of the city.
I do appreciate the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: