Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:28 PM

12 posts, read 44,489 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a masters student (21) at the University of Warwick in England, and seem to be thinking of moving away all the time. I want an adventure, something new, in a beautiful place... I have been looking at cities all over the USA and Portland is in my short list! One question I have is; does it rain more in Portland than London? From the stats it seems to rain more in Portland and a big part of moving away from the UK is to have a much more outdoors way of life, which I'm worried the rain might limit. The rain and darkness in the UK can affect my mood; so climate wise when it rains in Portland is it typically a short heavy shower or more of a misty drizzle? So far Portland seem almost spot on with your gardens/coast/forest/lakes and rivers, plus you guys can go skiing in your mountains, something that is a little hard in the south east of England...

Does anyone know what the technology jobs market is like, especially clean tech as this is what my projects have been in at Uni.

Cheers

Last edited by lemigsaw; 02-09-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 05:21 PM

493 posts, read 664,906 times
More of a mistry drizzle. The weather here is very similar to northwestern Europe actually.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:09 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
Portland will indeed have a lot of outdoor recreation opportunities for you; but I'm afraid the dark, gray, and wet fall/winter/spring will very similar to the weather in London you've said you're trying to escape.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:48 AM

From other threads I see lots of people having problems with finding a place to live (However most of these seem to be families). How much easier do you think it is to find a place for a young single man?

Does anyone know what the technology jobs market is like, especially clean tech as this is what my projects have been in at Uni. Just to add a little extra information, I would be looking to move in about 18 months or so - in other words when my degree end!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:57 AM

p.s. the other cities I'm looking at are:

Portland ( I'm just a bit worried about the weather and job market)
Denver (+Very outdoorsy, sunny - have read about smog, maybe too dry)
Seattle (seems like a bigger Portland to me, and I'm not a fan of over busy places)
San Fransico (+My Proff says he can get me a job there quickly -expensive, more crime.)

I plan to have a holiday within the next 18 months in order to spend time in my top 3 out of the list abov; so your input makes a difference. What do you guys think of my list?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
I don't know about Denver, but the other three all have the same kind of vibe, though San Francisco is the busiest and incredibly expensive. The difference between Portland and London is that Portland, while urban, has many open spaces for activity within the city (not just parks to relax in) and very close by so that you can stay active all year. I haven't spent a winter in London, but I've been there in Fall and it's such a big city that when the weather isn't good you just stay indoors (i.e. it's hard to get to more rural outdoor spaces/recreation). People here do that too but they don't have to if that makes sense. There is plenty to do outdoors during off weather, you just have to be willing to buy the right clothing. And you're right--you can ski in a not very long drive as well to keep active during the winter. Many people buy season passes and go most weekends. If you really want to go somewhere drastically different than London Denver would probably be it but if it were me I'd pick Portland, Seattle or SF over Denver in a heartbeat. But that's just me.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:48 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
BTW, with the crappy forcast for the economy world wide at this point it's really hard to say where any of those cities will be in terms of the job market 18 months from now. Each city has different things that will make it do better or worse depending on what happens.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 AM

thanks, indeed the economy is a huge issue, and the US is slowing first, but things are slowing here in the UK too. Which is why i'm thinking it might be wise to save for a year or so after uni to gain more experience and make the move easier; but then the best minds in the world don't really know what is going to happen...

Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 AM

btw I just wanted to list some of my reasons for wanting to move from the UK:

(1)Not really an outdoor way of life.
(2)Too many people in too small a place, I often feel crowded (and it's getting worse)

(3)Stupidly expensive. hight cost of living, high taxes..
(4)Economy is too focused on finance, while scientists and engineers are not given enough respect.
(5) Growing impact of Islam in the county.
(6) Crummy little roads.
(7) Too much red tape.
(8) I want an adventure.

Last edited by lemigsaw; 02-10-2008 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 06:08 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,273 times
Ever consider Austin, TX?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: