Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:15 AM

628 posts, read 819,116 times

Advertisements

The Oregonian just announced that Intel was eliminating 2,150 positions at the Hillsboro campus alone.

Oregon Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - OregonLive.com
https://youtu.be/TD8GcfLBCmk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:58 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
The Oregonian just announced that Intel was eliminating 2,150 positions at the Hillsboro campus alone.

Oregon Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - OregonLive.com
https://youtu.be/TD8GcfLBCmk
No, they didn't report that. They said that if the job cuts were applied evenly across all locations the the total in Oregon would 2,150 positions. But job cuts are never evenly applied, they'll hit some locations and sectors harder than others. It's unclear how much the total will be in Oregon, it could be more or less than that figure.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 7,683 times
I was just hired and start in a couple months; this is really worrisome. I do not want to go into too much detail to keep anonymity. But I am starting to get nervous after reading this article and the comments on this thread. I am relocating from a different state for this job.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:29 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I recommend you shop your resume around just in case the offer of employment is withdrawn. Keep your options open.

When I worked for a major employer where one manager got in a jam as he had arriving hires just as a hiring freeze was announced. What a mess.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I recommend you shop your resume around just in case the offer of employment is withdrawn. Keep your options open.

When I worked for a major employer where one manager got in a jam as he had arriving hires just as a hiring freeze was announced. What a mess.
Something similar happened to me. I was hired at Regent's Blue Cross, worked there for six months and was laid off with the rest of my department. Regent's knew in advance this was going to happen but didn't tell the employees for fear they would bail if they knew ahead of time. They needed experienced bodies to tie fill in some gaps so about three us were hired at the same time just before the slaughter. We thought this was a permanent job but we were let go along with others who had worked there for years. Even the supervisor was let go. She hadn't had a clue.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
If you work at Intel, you are probably aren't going to be that desperate for money and will simply either look for tech jobs at another company or move all together to someplace else that is hiring. It isn't like people can't sell their homes and relocate in this market. Though as many have pointed out, the article is vague where the layoffs will happen, and it is a safe bet that it wouldn't have too much effect on their Hillsboro office.
If one has to work at all, anywhere, then I think it is a safe bet that they are "desperate" for that income. Simply look for another six figure tech job at another company that is hiring... . Do you know what the employability of someone who did not actually invent the microprocessor chip is right now? And its the rental market that is insane. Why? Because the market for houses is abysmal. A laid off worker will be hosed twice. First when they lose that income and next when they take a bath on their short sale.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Looks like after eight long years, America is FAILING bigtime.
Seriously? Because Intel (Microsoft as well) is screwing over established workers, AMERICA is failing? And its Obama's fault? Thanks to Obama, Pfizer won't be able to merge with Allergan and transfer its tax liability offshore? It won't be able to lay off 30,000 workers either, not right now in any case. Some of the conclusions that people draw from current events baffle me totally.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiking_rain_or_shine_15 View Post
I was just hired and start in a couple months; this is really worrisome. I do not want to go into too much detail to keep anonymity. But I am starting to get nervous after reading this article and the comments on this thread. I am relocating from a different state for this job.
Thats a sucky mindset to have to start a new job with. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. FWIW (not that much) I think you're all right. They are likely targetting mature pay scales that have long since maxed out. I love how people glibly advise people who have sold everything to move here to just do it all over again. My parents would be such people. They had one job their entire lives and interest on passbook savings accounts were 13% and interest on a 30 year CD was 25%. Even a fool could wind up rich. Those days are gone but the people who are now rich because of them look down their noses at young people and say "why aren't they rich too? Must be because they are lazy. Unwilling to work hard or unpleasant jobs. Or move to where jobs are and send money back to their wives.". Maybe if more of us stood up and said Intel is wrong! Maybe if more of us were critical of laws that prohibit the enaction of rent control statutes in Portland. But no, we blame the victims of corporate greed and crony capitalism everytime.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:47 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Intel is facing a huge change in demand for their product. Retail computer sales have tanked, replaced by tablets that don't use their chips. They can only afford to keep the employees they need to produce a profitable product.

Doubtless Micron in Boise will be similarly impacted.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:20 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Intel still had a healthy profit margin in Q1, so I don't think this is purely a question of what they can 'afford' so much as market re-positioning by choice now before they're forced to do so by necessity/desperation somewhere down the road.

If one is cynical these moves are largely management protecting the stock price and their own remuneration; if one is less cynical they're trying legitimately to position themselves for longer-term viability.

If you ask me it's probably some of column A and column B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland