Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:14 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
You ever heard of getting out a little? Sad how many people like you are scared to actually leave your comfort and be a risk taker. Leave. Try it. You might like it.
Yep, I have lived outside of the northwest and moved back, very happy to be back home and have no interest in transplants like Californians and such moving here trying to change everything great about Portland and Oregon to make it more like the place they left. To those people, I say go back home if you want this place to be more like where you came from.

Though not sure how living in another part of the country is considered "risk taking." The concept of living seems to be the same no matter where one lives, all come with the same amount of "risk."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 07:39 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Yep, I have lived outside of the northwest and moved back, very happy to be back home and have no interest in transplants like Californians and such moving here trying to change everything great about Portland and Oregon to make it more like the place they left. To those people, I say go back home if you want this place to be more like where you came from.

Though not sure how living in another part of the country is considered "risk taking." The concept of living seems to be the same no matter where one lives, all come with the same amount of "risk."
Making life changes such as moving to different parts of the country, challenging ourselves to be open and adapting to new situations usually involves a high level of risk. People that are not risk takers usually sit around in their home state complaining about change. It's just too scary and challenging to certain people with weaker personalities.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I have no idea how things are now, but 15 years ago or so I moved from San Francisco, a place I felt was very easy to make friends in, to Portland, and had an impossible time of it there. Besides the hostility to people from California (never mind that I'm a Mississippian, LOL!), the place was cliquish, and not nearly as liberal as people tried to make it. It seemed to be a forced sort of liberalism, whereas in S.F. there was never any doubt about that. I'm sure San Francisco has become much more conservatibe in some ways since the huge increase in the cost of living there, not sure what's happened in Portland, but w/ more competition for jobs and housing I can't imagine that Portland has become more friendly. Things were awfully segregated there too.

I wouldn't mind Californians coming here to Florida. Compared to the East Coast Yankees, they would be a refreshing change! Yankeemama mentioned passive aggressiveness. That is exactly how I would describe the Portland locals.
Yes, a lot of the forced liberalness is from transplants from everywhere who want Portland to be a certain thing. As a native San Franciscan who grew up with libby parents I can say that the liberalness I grew up in during the 70's and 80's was more genuine in SF, Berkeley and Oakland. Every time I go home though I am irritated at the extreme wealth which is more like Manhattan. Every time I go back to NYC I am blown away at the gentrification of Brooklyn which ironically was done by Mid Westerners and other small towers rather than big city Californians. I would come to Florida and help you out, smarino, but I can't take the heat or bugs. I am in Beaverton now and it is lot more friendly and not hip like Portland.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Making life changes such as moving to different parts of the country, challenging ourselves to be open and adapting to new situations usually involves a high level of risk. People that are not risk takers usually sit around in their home state complaining about change. It's just too scary and challenging to certain people with weaker personalities.
I don't buy it, one can be a risk taker in their home state as well, not sure why one would have to move away to be a risk taker. Though that still doesn't change the fact that it gets old when transplants come here and try to make this place be more like where they came from. That isn't risk taking, that is just annoying and those people probably should go back home if they want where they live to be more like where they came from.

But to each their own, I am sure you being a Californian is a touchy subject when it gets mentioned, just like I am not a fan of people who bash locals who were born and raised in the northwest and belittled for loving where they live and not wanting to leave such a place.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I don't buy it, one can be a risk taker in their home state as well, not sure why one would have to move away to be a risk taker. Though that still doesn't change the fact that it gets old when transplants come here and try to make this place be more like where they came from. That isn't risk taking, that is just annoying and those people probably should go back home if they want where they live to be more like where they came from.

But to each their own, I am sure you being a Californian is a touchy subject when it gets mentioned, just like I am not a fan of people who bash locals who were born and raised in the northwest and belittled for loving where they live and not wanting to leave such a place.
I like how you spin other people's words. That's fine. I am not concerned with on line commentators. Being a Californian is never a touchy subject for me as I LOVE being from SF and yes, I still believe my home state to be golden. Thank God Jerry Brown is BACK! The Democrats will take over again! Yahoo! I will probably go back to my home state but since I am a grown up I can actually live away from home and enjoy myself and appreciate where I am. Oregon is great and my kids are having a wonderful childhood here. No complaints. Read my posts if you need to. I am not usually the complainer. 😎

Old 04-24-2016, 08:17 PM

39 posts, read 31,802 times
How is Oregon's forced liberalism? Y'all seem pretty much the same to me, but I'm from Texas, so you can understand what my background is.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentontxboy View Post
How is Oregon's forced liberalism? Y'all seem pretty much the same to me, but I'm from Texas, so you can understand what my background is.
It may be too complicated if you are from Texas. Google it.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I like how you spin other people's words. That's fine. I am not concerned with on line commentators. Being a Californian is never a touchy subject for me as I LOVE being from SF and yes, I still believe my home state to be golden. Thank God Jerry Brown is BACK! The Democrats will take over again! Yahoo! I will probably go back to my home state but since I am a grown up I can actually live away from home and enjoy myself and appreciate where I am. Oregon is great and my kids are having a wonderful childhood here. No complaints. Read my posts if you need to. I am not usually the complainer. 😎
Oh I didn't say you complain about California, but you do seem to get touchy when someone is negative about California and Californians. I get that about being defensive of your home. Though I would think you would then also understand when someone from the Northwest gets defensive when someone is negative towards the people who were born and raised here, and love living here.

Hopefully that helps clarify what I was saying seeing as it looks like you had misread what I wrote. Obviously we don't know each other, but I would hope that you understand my love for my home as much as you love where you are from.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentontxboy View Post
I was a bit confused on this as well, especially seeing the locals here tend to be very northwest liberal. So I am not sure which part of liberalism is being forced.....

Old 04-24-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Oh I didn't say you complain about California, but you do seem to get touchy when someone is negative about California and Californians. I get that about being defensive of your home. Though I would think you would then also understand when someone from the Northwest gets defensive when someone is negative towards the people who were born and raised here, and love living here.

Hopefully that helps clarify what I was saying seeing as it looks like you had misread what I wrote. Obviously we don't know each other, but I would hope that you understand my love for my home as much as you love where you are from.
Funny you say this because it's exactly why I don't get offended by fair commentary about Californians. Some of the stuff that is said, mostly on line, is bigoted. However, I did watch a TON of transplants from EVERYWHERE gentrify SF, especially areas where there was real cultural identity, and price out the amazing artists, multi- generational San Franciscans and businesses that don't cater to white yuppies from elsewhere. My parents were transplants but have always been treated well by real Californians because they respected the community they moved to. My parents worked in hospitals and social services in SF and made a real difference in the community. Did yuppies, not from CA, start yuppifying SF and other cities? Yup! Am I bitter? Not in mixed company but if you come to any of my siblings' parties in the Bay Area you wil notice almost all the guests are friends from childhood or college. I am the only sibling that welcomed transplants into my inner circle before I moved to NYC and became a transplant. I am still a transplant in Oregon with Oregonian kids. Following in my parents' footsteps. I try not to be jerk. I love CA but I left and I hope I will be old there. Now I embrace the home of my children that has given them the best childhood I could imagine. I volunteer at their schools, I try to expose my kids to the natural beauty here that we should protect and no, I don't give a crap about In- And Out. The latter is a SoCal thing which didn't come to the Bay Area until the 90's. I have tried it and don't get why it is a cult phenomenon.�� Anyways, not all Californians are the same and I certainly don't identify with the majority of the Ca stereotypes. I am a typical San Franciscan, I guess, but the tech industry has drastically changed the stereotype. Hmmpph. Honestly, the kindest person I know here is a friend I met from WA. She is like me in that she lives in OR but loves WA. We are individuals and I guess that's why a Californian and a Washingtonian are good friends. Anyways, I have love for my home state but I adapt well to other environments and am very proud that my kids are nature loving, smart and happy Oregonians!��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland