Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 01:09 AM

9 posts, read 24,164 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am from Michigan currently living in Wellington, New Zealand and here it is quite common to have a drink or two during lunch (even the bosses). In fact most companies on Friday buy there employees lots of beer and wine to share and you can drink it during the last hour or so while you work (this was at the largest Australian-NZ bank!!). So, my question is: I know Portland is supposed to be quite liberal like NZ, but is having a drink at lunch alright there with most employers in that you wouldn't have to try and hide it?

-cheers,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Although it was not unusual in the past, any drinking during work hours is frowned upon in almost all workplaces in the States anymore. There are exceptions, but they are exactly that, exceptions.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Although it was not unusual in the past, any drinking during work hours is frowned upon in almost all workplaces in the States anymore. There are exceptions, but they are exactly that, exceptions.
Agreed. While the "two martini lunch" used to be a business standard throughout the U.S. three decades ago, I can't imagine it nowadays. There are many lunches where I would have liked to have a beer, but I would never think of ordering one for fear that word of my "poor conduct" would spread throughout the office.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 AM

9 posts, read 24,164 times
I have to say that really kind of sucks to hear that. I did expect it from most the states, however I was hoping for something similar to NZ from the PDX. And.. no I'm not ad drunk or anything. It's just that work is nice and easy going here - I go for a pub lunch about once a week and really quite enjoy it (you definetly get to know new work mates over a beer). Oh well though, Portland has way to many benefits for that to let me down (just like anywhere that you may live - some things good.. some not so. Thanks for the replies.

-cheers,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: