Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 12:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatega View Post
And my allergies to things out here keep me inside from March to June, it's horrible for me!

Someone may have responded to this already but I'll take the risk because I'm not going to read 7 pages of posts.

What are you allergic to??? Because the whole Willamette Valley here is NOTORIOUS for some of the worst allergies in the US, and I think I know more people who suffer it to some degree than those who don't. It's mostly grass seed but could also be a number of others. I'm lucky in that I deal with one or two weeks of crazy hay fever in June, sneezing all the time, and then it completely stops. Never had a clue what I react to but it ends quickly.

I suggest researching online to see what you may be allergic to here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 12:56 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,248 times
Birch, cottonwood, are big ones even in Portland. A bit less of grass seed vs. the deep valley. But add in various evergreens, etc. etc. Definitely a lot of stuff in the air here, and depending on what you're allergic to allergy season can easily run from March until late fall.

The amount of other particulates in the air in much of the city probably doesn't help, as does the fact we can easily go a week or two without rain which just leaves whatever junk is currently in the air, in the grass (and gets kicked back up when you mow it, etc.) hanging around.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 AM

810 posts, read 851,132 times
without reading all 8 pages of comments,
Portland like any other city or town has it's pro's and cons.

Right now the biggest con is how expensive it has become to live. If you are coming from GA it is sticker shock for sure. But maybe you can rent for a year and see if you really want to stay and give you a chance to really check out the area.

Portland has the very best summers. usually warm with a few hot days mixed and usually low humidity and no rain. As far as rain goes yes rainy/cloudy overcast in the late fall and winter. Seems like you just get use to that and some years are more rainy than others.

I have lived in the NW for 28 years now. I lived in the greater Seattle area and in Portland.

If you want more cultural stuff and pro sports then Seattle is better, there are times I wish i had stayed living up there. But it is even more expensive than Portland which is why we moved.

Portland has lots of parks and plenty of family oriented things to do As far as night life I don't know since we rarely ever go out and if we do it is local not downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland