Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:42 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times

Advertisements

AndyAMG - Thanks so much for the tip about the corridor running behind the restaurants that can quickly get you from one concourse to the other. In all my years of flying in and out of PDX, I never knew that was there. I pulled up a map of the airport to get a visual. Good to know when one security line is longer than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 04:34 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
United sucks. If you are flying United, get there 2.5 hours early. Delta sucks too but less than United - 2 hours. The others, 1.5 to 2 hours should be fine.

I've never had a problem with the pdx TSA line. Where I have had major issues is with getting bags checked.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
United sucks. If you are flying United, get there 2.5 hours early. Delta sucks too but less than United - 2 hours. The others, 1.5 to 2 hours should be fine.

I've never had a problem with the pdx TSA line. Where I have had major issues is with getting bags checked.
Why would the airline one is flying out of have anything to do with waiting times in the security lineup? As I mentioned before, I am not checking baggage, only taking a carry-on.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:58 PM

Oh, and one other thing, bring a five dollar bill and do curbside check-in of your luggage. AND get your boarding pass. Piece of cake.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:49 PM

472 posts, read 526,865 times
I arrived at 5:45 for 6:20 boarding this morning. No precheck, pretty busy but all the lines went quickly. I used the curbside check for Delta, that was handy and fast. Compared to SJC terminal B it was a piece of cake!

Old 05-17-2016, 12:43 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Why would the airline one is flying out of have anything to do with waiting times in the security lineup? As I mentioned before, I am not checking baggage, only taking a carry-on.
If you are not checking baggage than the standard 2 hour guideline will probably be more than enough time.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:01 PM

Just an update for all of you who replied to my post. I arrived at the terminal at 4:50 am. The security line was pretty long (but not stretching out into the terminal). The TSA folks were very professional and efficient, moving us all through at a pace where we never stopped moving forward until we got to the actual screening.
Even then, I got through quickly, full body pat down and some kind of wand waved over my palms notwithstanding (drug screening?). Total time - maybe 10-12 minutes. Outstanding service, I would say, and only a minor inconvenience. The inconvenience was having to kill time until boarding.

All and all, I could have arrived 45 minutes later and still had plenty of time. But I'd rather kill time people watching than sitting at home.

Thanks for all your input.

Over and out.

Sayulita

Old 05-22-2016, 03:56 PM

810 posts, read 851,839 times
I haven't flown much lately last time was in Nov. It seems hit or miss with the lines. Best to arrive early and bring some patience. Two summers ago we flew to Hawaii. I think we waited in line longer to check our bags than we did in the security line.

Curbside check in is a great idea. Most people print their tickets and boarding passes at home which saves time and makes things so much easier. I try to not have any checked baggage if possible. But that depends on destination and how long I am staying.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:39 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Just an update for all of you who replied to my post. I arrived at the terminal at 4:50 am. The security line was pretty long (but not stretching out into the terminal). The TSA folks were very professional and efficient, moving us all through at a pace where we never stopped moving forward until we got to the actual screening.
Even then, I got through quickly, full body pat down and some kind of wand waved over my palms notwithstanding (drug screening?). Total time - maybe 10-12 minutes. Outstanding service, I would say, and only a minor inconvenience. The inconvenience was having to kill time until boarding.

All and all, I could have arrived 45 minutes later and still had plenty of time. But I'd rather kill time people watching than sitting at home.

Over and out.

Sayulita
I would like to add that PDX has a service for people with disabilities through TSA. You just need to call in advance, I would say a few days ahead, and TSA will have an agent meet you at your airline. We do this every time we travel now and it makes a huge difference for our family. PDX is really a great airport.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:27 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,410 times
Quote:

Over and out.

Sayulita
TSA does not have a remit for unwarranted drug searches. So no, not drug screening....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: