Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 11:49 PM

386 posts, read 1,215,481 times

Advertisements

I'm a route driver moving to Portland in early 2017 from Mobile, Alabama. Right now I make $17.75 hr and was wondering what route drivers make on average in Portland. Also, what is the average rent for non-govt assistance apartments running? Just me and my 12 yr old mix dog and my job transfer will be in Troutdale. And info/links on good reputable apartments or room/small house/cottage rentals would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,914,228 times
Did you say "job transfer"? I have to assume then that you know whether you will be making your present $17.75/hr or something different when you start working in Portland. What does it matter what other systems pay? I'm not trying to be snarky. Truly it doesn't matter. Your mission is to figure out how to live well on the income you have contracted for. Troutdale is nice enough. Craigslist is my go to apt. finding tool. Others recommend Padmapper which to me seems to be a Craigslist front end. Craigslist has its own mapping feature now so I can't see the distinction.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:37 PM

32,606 posts, read 47,873,838 times
I asked my truck driver son for you and he said "what the *bleep* is a route driver? That could be anything from a bicycle messenger to a semi driver."

So, a lot is going to depend upon what sort of "route" you are driving and for whom.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:19 AM

958 posts, read 1,144,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Did you say "job transfer"? I have to assume then that you know whether you will be making your present $17.75/hr or something different when you start working in Portland. What does it matter what other systems pay? I'm not trying to be snarky. Truly it doesn't matter. Your mission is to figure out how to live well on the income you have contracted for. Troutdale is nice enough. Craigslist is my go to apt. finding tool. Others recommend Padmapper which to me seems to be a Craigslist front end. Craigslist has its own mapping feature now so I can't see the distinction.
Yes i am also baffled by the cd forum love for padmapper....

Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,609,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Craigslist is my go to apt. finding tool. Others recommend Padmapper which to me seems to be a Craigslist front end. Craigslist has its own mapping feature now so I can't see the distinction.
It has a number of other services it pulls from (rent.com, etc.) though as the Portland market has gotten tighter and tighter over the past few years some of that utility has gone away because there's just not that much in the metro period.

That said, I don't particularly love the new interface, and I do think craigslist and others have cut into some of the early edge padmapper had over the competition when it first went live a decade or so ago when it was mind-blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I asked my truck driver son for you and he said "what the *bleep* is a route driver? That could be anything from a bicycle messenger to a semi driver."

So, a lot is going to depend upon what sort of "route" you are driving and for whom.
lol

@OP - the bigger problem is that Troutdale is, geographically speaking, the end of the line moving east of the metro, and the price hikes have already settled in out there (Gresham/Fairview/Troutdale) as well. People assume it's the "cheap" part of the metro, but...it ain't so much anymore.

$17.75 in Mobile, as I understand it, is at least decent money.

$17.75 in the Portland metro is doable for a single person, but unless you have the world's best pension plan you won't be saving anything. You're not likely to find a 1BR under $750, on a take-home of maybe $2400 (and that assumes no medical premium, nothing into retirement, coming out pre-/post-tax etc.), and it's quite possible you'll pay "pet rent" on top of your rent.

So you'd need a significant pay hike (even the east part of the Portland metro is 15-20% higher COL than the national average, whereas Mobile is about 20% lower than the average.) And, at least as a general rule, Portland's higher COL is because it is viewed as a desirable place to live, not because salaries are particularly high.

I appreciate wanting references from locals on good complexes, but even if we linked our favorite places, the odds it would happen to have an opening when you wanted to start a lease is slim.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:41 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,526,813 times
Route driver? you mean like FEDEX? I have a friend who is a route driver for fedex. He makes around $21/hr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland