Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:11 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times

Advertisements

The best thing to do is to quit trying to figure out Portland.

It's a hopeless exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 05:17 PM

300 posts, read 267,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
The best thing to do is to quit trying to figure out Portland.

It's a hopeless exercise.
Amen.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Thanks, Minerva!
The Mother Jones article was really interesting and informative. Portland, like SF, is pretty NIMBY so wonder what area would want the housing to be built. The East side would prob be an area where the chronically homeless would be tolerated.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
I hope so, the current condition of letting camps spring up along the sidewalks throughout the city isn't an answer. Even if property taxes went up, I would think those who own property would be happy to not have sidewalks filled with Hales Camps.
Agree! I feel bad for the Portland property owner though. Maybe a tax on beer would be able to pay for the homeless problem.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Not sure how anyone could make that excuse, I think what Salt Lake did is exactly what we should be doing. First off we have an unused prison in St Johns that could easily be converted into a shelter that takes anyone and everyone in no matter what. With that, programs to help the homeless can be put in place, even shuttle access to get them to and from areas they need to get to. That way each would have a bed and a locker to help get them started.

Once you have a place to house them, then you can start to address the issues that they face, and for most of them they just need help getting back on their feet or help with a drug addiction.

The big kicker is the city has to do away with Hales' idiot idea of making camping legal, the city shouldn't be arresting those homeless camping, but offering to either take them to a housing program or they will have their stuff thrown away would weed out those that have come to Portland to voluntarily be homeless and camp.

Things like that would have a huge impact for the city and would help out most of those who are homeless and in need.
It's sad to think that the chronically homeless are often veterans and the mentally ill, which should be society's priority to care for... after our children. I would volunteer my time as I know so many people want to help but don't know how.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Not sure how anyone could make that excuse, I think what Salt Lake did is exactly what we should be doing. First off we have an unused prison in St Johns that could easily be converted into a shelter that takes anyone and everyone in no matter what. With that, programs to help the homeless can be put in place, even shuttle access to get them to and from areas they need to get to. That way each would have a bed and a locker to help get them started.

Once you have a place to house them, then you can start to address the issues that they face, and for most of them they just need help getting back on their feet or help with a drug addiction.

The big kicker is the city has to do away with Hales' idiot idea of making camping legal, the city shouldn't be arresting those homeless camping, but offering to either take them to a housing program or they will have their stuff thrown away would weed out those that have come to Portland to voluntarily be homeless and camp.

Things like that would have a huge impact for the city and would help out most of those who are homeless and in need.
Wow! I had no idea that there was space in St. John's which is going unused. I really like the idea of housing the homeless in their current state rather than expecting sobriety. It does seem that housing should come first then sobriety can be possible.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
It's sad to think that the chronically homeless are often veterans and the mentally ill, which should be society's priority to care for... after our children. I would volunteer my time as I know so many people want to help but don't know how.
You should not have to volunteer your time or give money beyond your tax assessment to take care of the homeless. No other First World Country leaves something this important to the better instincts of a charitable few. It is because, by and large, the good work of caring for the homeless is left to Charitable Organizations that the problem is so out of control. Not just in Portland, but in the entire country. American cities are awash in the destitute and indigent, and the only thing that will fix it is money. Real money. Who has the money?

Old 05-20-2016, 11:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
Why did they need to pass a gas tax if they just told us they had a huge surplus?
Probably because of allocations. But you further amplify my point: why all the handwringing about a lousy 10 cent tax on gas when gas is so cheap and why agonize about a small increase in a property or other tax when most taxpayers are going to find a kicker check in the mail, and/or their tax attorney is going to fix it so they hardly pay any taxes beyond their Federal Withholding.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You should not have to volunteer your time or give money beyond your tax assessment to take care of the homeless. No other First World Country leaves something this important to the better instincts of a charitable few. It is because, by and large, the good work of caring for the homeless is left to Charitable Organizations that the problem is so out of control. Not just in Portland, but in the entire country. American cities are awash in the destitute and indigent, and the only thing that will fix it is money. Real money. Who has the money?
The article explained where some of the money would come from but yes, I do think charitable work from church groups is important. I do think we should have a sales tax to pay for schools and help with the homeless problem.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:50 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Free market activity is the only thing that will bring a sufficient supply of affordable housing to Portland. The inconvenient truth is that Americans hate free market housing activity in their neighborhoods.

I want smaller lots and higher density because that's how to create an adequate supply of affordable housing, but homeowners hate that.
No, you want smaller lots and higher density in a certain area. An area that has already been created by a market that offers larger lots and lower density. Of course homeowners hate the idea of turning their already established neighborhood in to a trailer park. If you would just relocate, you would find the type of living you could afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland