Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:39 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Back to the subject, my opinion actually is that the more schools leave out in teaching or suggesting information can be sought on different subjects, the more kids begin to distrust everything they have learned when they discover differing views on their own. And they will.

I don't know how many teachers I had in college who said that high school teaching was so single minded it was almost akin to brain washing at times. Any discipline whether it's science or the arts has it's various naysayers. Sure a lot of them are nut jobs but sometimes those nut jobs aren't too far wrong. And kids should be encouraged to ask questions. They see information all around them. If they come to their teacher asking about an opposing point of view on a subject, is the teacher supposed to tell them to forget about it? Tell that to a kid and see how that works.

Schools are for learning. Book banning or refusal to disseminate information is an ignorant way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 11:00 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Have seen PacificCity at ~60+ on NewYear's.
there isn't much temp variation on the Coast, if you are really close to the beach. The Pacific influences the weather even in the MidValley.

80's ?? Maybe in the Banana Belt near the CA border.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:15 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I was in Portland for work today & saw this headline Oregon Local News - Portland school board bans climate change-denying materials which i swore had to have been a joke, but appears to be something that's actually occurred without any opposition??
This past winter, we are extremely warm and with more days of wet.
One can easily track the heating days over the years.

IMO, the Deniers, have put scientific thought in USA, back at least 10 years. This will come back to haunt them.
IMO, Hate materials should also be prohibited

Disclaimer: past farmer. Strawberries are 7-14 days earlier than when I was a kid, 60 years ago.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:17 AM

270 posts, read 325,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Nope not the Onion, or satire, it's true, it was on KGW last night. Kids can't have an opinion.

My son had to go talk to a Councillor for saying he was uncomfortable with one of his project partners because he was "gay" (my son did not actually say that he said the boy was "pan") and like to give people back rubs. I guarantee if my son went around giving girls unsolicited backrubs and telling them they need to loosen up he'd be talking to police officers.

The sent me a report and the report referred to my son as a "cisgender male student."

Portland area schools have gotten crazy. Every time is see the phrase "Critical thinking and Life long Learning" I just chuckle. They have taught kids they can't have dissenting opinions on anything. Critical thinking means thinking against the conservative or right leaning views... heck even moderate, centrist , or libertarian views. They can't criticize left leaning views at all.

My sons school was going to have a contestant from RuPauls drag race talk to kids about acceptance. It almost went through until parents were urged to watch the behavior of said speaker on RuPauls drag race.

Portland area schools feel it is their duty in life to make our kids communist Bernie supporters or at the very least dems for life.

If a child is religious they are ridiculed. Unless they are of some different ethnicity, then they treat them with utmost respect.

If a child isn't fond of certain lifestyles they are labeled homophobic, just for that opinion. Even if its just as benign as saying "Im not comfortable with x life style"

By the age of 10 kids can make up their own opinion. By that age kids are educated enough to form an opinion independent of their parents.

You think this story is nuts. Try this one!
Expel Check - Willamette Week

Cliff Notes. Young black men are "disadvantaged" so it's okay for them to physically assault people.

It's long but here is the incident that makes me say "wow, really Portland schools?"

"In October 2012, a high-school-age student in an alternative program repeatedly punched his female teacher in the head during class. The teacher, who has worked in the district for more than two decades, had to seek emergency medical treatment.

The district immediately suspended the student, who is black. The teacher is white.

The teacher decided to press charges against the student. When she returned to her job, according to sources familiar with the incident, the teacher was summoned to a meeting with the vice principal. During the meeting, the vice principal lectured her about how difficult it is for young black men to overcome having a criminal record. The assistant principal also told the teacher that she should examine through a "racial lens" what role she played as a white woman in the attack on her."

This is why schools are so terrible here, they are so busy indoctrinating, and standardized testing they forgot that the point of school is to teach kids life skills.

My son is currently undergoing not one but two standardized tests this week. STAR and OAKS. STAR and OAKS.

Homeschooling is getting very popular here, I wish very much so that we could do the same.
The phrase "Portland area schools" concerns me. I'm willing to shake my head, roll my eyes, and write off things of this nature as being "Portland", but is this stuff really creeping out into the rest of the metro area? Are schools in the Clackamas County and Washington County suburbs like this now, too?

As for the OP's post, put me in the "not a climate change denier, but censorship of this nature is not a good thing" camp.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:38 PM

82 posts, read 146,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post

Portland area schools feel it is their duty in life to make our kids communist Bernie supporters or at the very least dems for life.

If a child is religious they are ridiculed. Unless they are of some different ethnicity, then they treat them with utmost respect.
That's a pretty broad statement. Perhaps you've experienced that kind of behavior at the schools your child(ren) attend but to claim it happens at all area schools is simply not true. How could you possibly even know what the climate is like at all the schools?

Our son has attended 3 different schools in the Portland Metro area and we've never experienced or heard about what you claim. The schools he has attended (1 in Beaverton and 2 in Portland) have had diverse populations (economically, ethnically, religious affiliation, etc...) and the students have not been ridiculed for their circumstances, beliefs or gender/sexual identity by either other students or teachers/staff. I really don't believe that type of intolerance would be encouraged or condoned either.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:51 PM

810 posts, read 852,020 times
Problem with deniers is they REFUSE to see the TRUTH and REALITY. it has already been proven over and over with scientific studies that Climate Change is happening. If someone wants to be ignorant there isn't much anyone can do about it.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:41 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
I asked my older child, who is a student in Beaverton School District, whether climate change is part of her curriculum and she currently is not studying climate change.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
The problem is just as stated in posts in this thread.

you are either a denier or a believer. But it's much more complex.

The argument is not whether the earth is heating up, the argument is whether the change is part of a natural cycle or whether it is a runway heating created by mans irresponsibility with his environment. I believe it is a natural cycle that needs 50-100 years to complete. Actually, scientifically the last global heating event happened around 1000. Then a global cooling event started in the 1400s, and lasted till the 1800s.

My personal belief is that it's very dangerous to treat climate change science as absolute truth. Irresponsible hyperbole is all around us and its one thing when its political but when it masquerades as science it is very irresponsible . Every day we are bombarded by non scientific stories about climate change, the problem is when you go to the direct source you find that scientists actually never said in any scientific capacity what many of these articles state.

Recently, there was a story about the Solomon Islands disappearing because of rising sea levels. The only problem is that was not what the Australian report actually said. The Austrailian report said that the islands were disappearing because of a variety of factors. First these are coral reefs that collected sand then vegetation grew. They were not stable islands to being with. Over the course of a hundred years many coral atolls and motus alike have disappeared but there have also been new ones formed. A coral atoll or coral reef motu is like a sand bar in a river it depends on deposits of sand to build. Now the austrailian report said this. It said that much of what was seen was a combo of the very nature of those types of islands, the fact that boat wakes were causing accelerated erosion. Large storms had changed the way waves broke over the reef. Families on the island were digging holes and causing the land to erode.

But here is what the Gaurdian in the UK printed. "Five tiny Pacific islands have disappeared due to rising seas and erosion, a discovery thought to be the first scientific confirmation of the impact of climate change on coastlines in the Pacific, according to Australian researchers."

but here is the conclusion of the actual paper http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...26/11/5/054011

"Due to their extreme vulnerability, coral atolls have been the main focus for assessing island responses to sea-level change. Whilst shoreline recession has been documented on atolls over past decades, the majority of studies have not specifically demonstrated evidence linking shoreline recession to recent sea-level rise (Webb and Kench 2010, Le Cozannet et al 2014). The limited research that has been conducted to date on the responses of reef islands in the western Pacific indicates that islands are highly dynamic, with coastal erosion and inundation threatening infrastructure, resulting generally from extreme events, human armouring of shorelines (e.g. seawalls) or inappropriate planning and development rather than sea-level rise alone."

"Relative sea-level rise can also be the result of tectonics, the Solomon Islands are in a particularly tectonically active part of the globe with the convergence of the Pacific Plate, Solomon Arc block and Australian Plate causing localised crustal deformations (Tregoning et al 1998) manifesting as either island subsidence or uplift (Taylor et al 2008). Whilst the Isabel study site is considered to be in a more tectonically benign area, without active volcanoes, the Roviana site experienced an 8.1 megathrust earthquake in 2007 which led to the reef islands of Roviana subsiding by up to 60 cm."

But no one printed that... It wasn't going to get enough greenies to click.

In 1991 the IPCC released it's first report and it predicted that the curve for sea level rise would be exponential and by 2020 sea levels were going to rise between 5 and 10 inches. Best case scenario was 2 inches per decade. Has that happened? If you think climate change is anything but a natural cycle and you read mother Jones Huffington Post then you'd probably think it has, maybe more. The thing no one is talking about is that it is extremely difficult to measure "sea level." Research how mean sea level is calculated. Not observed, but 'calculated'. As a matter of fact until satellites had the ability MSL was calculated over a 6 year average at one point in the UK in from 1915 to 1920. When we got satellites to more precisely measure we found out just how difficult sea rise was to measure. No matter how powerful the....

Actually I don't know why I bother with logic or reason. Get your water wings and snorkels. Portland will be destroyed by a huge earthquake in 3 years then it will be underwater by 2020, temps will be in the 100s all summer long. I suggest any prospective transplant buy a home in the west hills with lots of shade.

Just read this then compare it to the reality of today. As an engineer I only deal in hard empirical evidence. Not computer models and equations and certainly not hyperbolic news articles.

If by 2030 any of the predictions of the IPCCs first assessment become true then I will concede that man has caused the "runaway climate change" people are buying into. The problem is after reading the entire 5th assessment. It's the same theoretical/statistical model horse crap from the first assessment. Pretty graphs showing 70 years into the future with scary exponential curves with broad ranges of possibilities. So yes in fact there are counter viewpoints backed by science.

Their own reports.

IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

Old 05-22-2016, 11:00 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eabcan View Post
That's a pretty broad statement. Perhaps you've experienced that kind of behavior at the schools your child(ren) attend but to claim it happens at all area schools is simply not true. How could you possibly even know what the climate is like at all the schools?

Our son has attended 3 different schools in the Portland Metro area and we've never experienced or heard about what you claim. The schools he has attended (1 in Beaverton and 2 in Portland) have had diverse populations (economically, ethnically, religious affiliation, etc...) and the students have not been ridiculed for their circumstances, beliefs or gender/sexual identity by either other students or teachers/staff. I really don't believe that type of intolerance would be encouraged or condoned either.
It could also be that you agree with a very liberal viewpoint therefore anything that was said was wholly agreed upon by you. As a moderate who is really very centrist in almost every way. I see problems with what they teach and that critical thinking means: but only if it doesn't dissent from a carbon copy liberal view point

Experienced or heard means nothing. I didn't hear much out of my kids in Elementary School but now that my kids are all tweens or teens, I hear the most ridiculous stuff that teachers say. My kids were in North Portland schools and then Milwaukie schools. They have all been the same. What number of my childrens educators are conservative? probably 0% and if they are they probably don't dare share any opposing views.

My son had a whole entire lectures on the evils of Chrisianity and Abrahamic religions from his 6th grade social studies teacher. It was subtle to the kids but it was not to me, my son picked up on it pretty easy.

In 7th grade my son had a science teacher that had them watch a symposium with Bill Nye (who is not a scientist) and NDT where they explained in detail why they do not believe in God. The discussion afterwards tread lightly but it was quite obvious the teacher believed that anyone who believes in a God is a moron and wanted the student to also come to that conclusion. She harped on the idea that Newton could have gone so much further if it wasn't for his pesky belief in God and how Christians almost destroyed Copernicus' heliocentric solar system. But glossed over the fact that many of his biggest proponents and supporters were christian also his own successor (Brahe) though Copernicus was wrong..

My sons 8th grade science teacher made a comment that made a Jehovah's Witness boy break into tears and leave in embarrassment.

My Son is now in 8th grade and every day his favorite teacher makes several comments a day about how things will be better if Bernie is elected. Did you guys see Bernie won Oregon? Then he will follow it up with get out and vote! My son said the teacher asked my sons friend "Jacob is your dad a Bernie Supporter? "Yeah my dad loves Bernie! but my mom likes Hilary. "Oh that's too bad. At parent teacher conferences the teacher in question made no fewer than four Bernie sanders references. After he found out I was an "educated" engineer he figured that by my profession and look that I was an absolute shoe-in for a Bernie supporter. But I'm not. I can't stand Bernie and don't vote anyway.

My family is christian. My son is Christian, but I have educated him that non believers will constantly try to disrespect christian or any religious beliefs. It's usually something as slight as "those of you who believe in a young earth" in a snarky tone. Of course those of you who don't believe in a God or anything bigger than man will predictably say well she has a point it stupid to believe the earth is only 6-10k years old.

Just as there are some very predictable liberals saying, How stupid of anyone not to believe in human induced global warming. "Every scientist agrees" "There are no dissenting viewpoints." The problem is the left used to be the tolerant and the open minded group. Now it seems that the left is as close minded the right. We have to fit into a left and right mold so if we have a view that is contrary to the leanings of our friends and colleagues we have to bring it in line.

I feel these days I have to go to 5 different news sources to piece together the real story.

All throughout college by the second week you could pick up on what your professors viewpoint or leanings were and could then assess quite easily how it affected his or her lecture or teachings. It's no different in all of academia even at the lowest levels.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:53 AM

148 posts, read 178,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I have noticed in my kids' Beaverton schools a comfortability with religions and at my younger kid's school the students learned about different religious holidays before Winter break.
to bad there wasn't a Beaverton sub for you. People in Beaverton aren't less crazy than people in Portland, it will happen there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland