Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:22 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
No - Oregon's population will not go down. It will just shift from a more productive class to more of the perpetual victim class (Leisestrum type people). But then again - in my time here, I have come to conclusion that most people don't care anyway. They buy into stupid sound bites on radio and tv that taxes must be raised to correct an "unfairness" issue. (The previous post regarding Oregonians being sheep comes to mind.)
You keep claiming this, but your use of the word "victim" has just become meaningless. This really isn't about anything being "unfair," this is about services and taxes, the money has to come from somewhere, so it makes sense to get it from corporations that just rely on loopholes to pay the least they possibly can. I highly doubt we will see any major corporations leaving Oregon because of this.

But to each their own, I disagree with you about Oregonians being "sheep," another overused term, because I have met so many different types of Oregonians in my life and they all have different opinions, nothing I would consider to be sheep like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 12:45 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
You keep claiming this, but your use of the word "victim" has just become meaningless. This really isn't about anything being "unfair," this is about services and taxes, the money has to come from somewhere, so it makes sense to get it from corporations that just rely on loopholes to pay the least they possibly can. I highly doubt we will see any major corporations leaving Oregon because of this.

But to each their own, I disagree with you about Oregonians being "sheep," another overused term, because I have met so many different types of Oregonians in my life and they all have different opinions, nothing I would consider to be sheep like.
FAIL - "Loopholes" is a term of art defined by union thugs and left leaning bureaucrats who perpetually pontificate that government is the true solution to so many perceived ills. There is this false claim that "private enterprise and 1%ers use loopholes to dodge taxes."

Legally paying the least tax possible is American and honorable. It is not fleecing the public.
Government only exists to serve itself. Do you really believe that continually absconding with more and more $ from corporations or private citizens via the power of gov't to fund ever increasing armadas of bureaucracies makes our country or state stronger??

Why not instead challenge where this $ is being used?? Why do so many SHEEP in Oregon just allow the city of Portland or state of Oregon to waste tax $ without challenging?

I stand by the perpetual victim of life comment as well. Check it out - these people exist.

For once, it would be nice to see someone on here admit their true case: "We are greedy and jealous of others and want their $."

Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
this is about services and taxes, the money has to come from somewhere, so it makes sense to get it from corporations that just rely on loopholes to pay the least they possibly can. I highly doubt we will see any major corporations leaving Oregon because of this.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
Five other states have a gross receipts tax, but Oregon's 2.5 percent would be the highest (a slightly higher rate on just one industry in Washington state is the only exception).
This is a good example of why just looking at stated rates is deeply misleading. I took a look at the TX Franchise tax for comparison. Yes their rate is only 0.75% (for most businesses other than retail) but it kicks in at $1m.

So take a corporation with gross revenue $21mil. In TX that company would pay a franchise tax of $150,000. In OR that Franchise would pay a GRT of $0, and may or may not owe any other corporate tax.

Shift it to $40mil. In TX that company would pay franchise tax of $292,500, and in OR $405,000. So sure, there is a point at which the higher rate is impactful, but it's certainly not across the board.

This is of course, outside of any other taxes a corporation might pay in OR, but also excludes any subsidies, and Oregon does hand out a significant number of those.

Also note that Oregon (continued in this proposal) only looks at 'Oregon income,' which for a company like Intel or Nike is relatively small. So freaking out about stated rates almost certainly is looking at the cost to businesses well out of proportion to what it will actually cost them.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
FAIL - "Loopholes" is a term of art defined by union thugs and left leaning bureaucrats who perpetually pontificate that government is the true solution to so many perceived ills. There is this false claim that "private enterprise and 1%ers use loopholes to dodge taxes."

Legally paying the least tax possible is American and honorable. It is not fleecing the public.
Government only exists to serve itself. Do you really believe that continually absconding with more and more $ from corporations or private citizens via the power of gov't to fund ever increasing armadas of bureaucracies makes our country or state stronger??

Why not instead challenge where this $ is being used?? Why do so many SHEEP in Oregon just allow the city of Portland or state of Oregon to waste tax $ without challenging?

I stand by the perpetual victim of life comment as well. Check it out - these people exist.

For once, it would be nice to see someone on here admit their true case: "We are greedy and jealous of others and want their $."
Okay, guess you are one who is in favor of corporate welfare, you seem very determined with this point of view that makes it a waste of time to argue. I am sure corporations enjoy this type of sheep thinking because it puts more money in their pockets at the expense of the general public.

It would also be nice if someone on here would admit corporations are greedy and would happily fleece a state and it's residents when given the chance, but I am sure you will just side step that and call that being a "victim" and make some comment about sheep.

Oh well, it is odd to me why anyone would want to live around people they seem to hate so much.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:52 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
But, Don't worry. Oregon residents are like sheep. They will vote the way the media tells them regardless of the idea. And for a bonus, myself along with other law abiding, tax paying citizens will vacate the state in the next 1-5 years.
I'm not so sure. If nothing else, there has usually been enough of a remnant of true Oregonians to shoot down high tax issues. That said, the rise of Californicators may squeeze this one out, but I think it will be very close and am hoping the measure does not pass. I mean, many of our Calironication immigrants were escaping high taxation and they know first hand how that can harm people and business alike.

I think the determining factor will be how much of a charge is led against the initiative and expose it as a PERS salvation tax. If the word gets out effectively, then it fails. But that will take a lot of money as the unions will put out a max effort for tis one. PERS may be hanging in the balance. And that's the biggest retirement union windfall in the history of the United States. It's the legacy of SEIU.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:57 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Okay, guess you are one who is in favor of corporate welfare, you seem very determined with this point of view that makes it a waste of time to argue. I am sure corporations enjoy this type of sheep thinking because it puts more money in their pockets at the expense of the general public.

It would also be nice if someone on here would admit corporations are greedy and would happily fleece a state and it's residents when given the chance, but I am sure you will just side step that and call that being a "victim" and make some comment about sheep.

Oh well, it is odd to me why anyone would want to live around people they seem to hate so much.

OK, we have seen the far right and now you offer the far left voice.

To be sure, corporations create, and take advantage of a lot of loopholes. They also bully the state into tax "agreements" that are heavily in their favor. I'll give you that.

However, those are pretty much the largest 5 or 6 companies in the state. This initiative effects so many more who actually do pretty much the right thing (in general). I would rather take on those larger companies who are raping the state for tax breaks and initiate a sales tax than this.

Lastly, I would respect this if the unions were more honest about the tax. It's a PERS bailout- pure and simple. When entities like the SEIU openly lie about something, I see them like I see the more greedy corporations- with contempt.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
OK, we have seen the far right and now you offer the far left voice.

To be sure, corporations create, and take advantage of a lot of loopholes. They also bully the state into tax "agreements" that are heavily in their favor. I'll give you that.

However, those are pretty much the largest 5 or 6 companies in the state. This initiative effects so many more who actually do pretty much the right thing (in general). I would rather take on those larger companies who are raping the state for tax breaks and initiate a sales tax than this.

Lastly, I would respect this if the unions were more honest about the tax. It's a PERS bailout- pure and simple. When entities like the SEIU openly lie about something, I see them like I see the more greedy corporations- with contempt.
That might be true about the unions portion, but that we would only affect about 15% of the workforce in Oregon that are union members.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:

I won't admit corporations are greedy. Corporations are neither greedy nor altruistic. That is not the role of the corporation. A corporation's purpose is to make the owners a profit via a good or service that someone somewhere is willing to pay for. That's about it.

If the state bureaucrat offers a taxing package to entice a company to either come or stay and you don't like it. Do not blame the corporation. Blame your friendly, all knowing bureaucracy that you place so much trust in. The corporation could care less. The corporation only looks for method to maximize profit. If a state deal will not allow that to occur, they will act accordingly. It is neither good nor bad. It's just business.

Lots of sheep in Oregon don't understand basic economics and would prefer to be victims of life.

I never said I hated people in Oregon. I am just not impressed with some of their powers of reason.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:11 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
I don't think it will be voted in. Correct me if I'm wrong but Mayor Hales tried to sneak in a 0.25% business tax increase into Portland's city budget and the city council treated him as if he had grown a second head.

There are too many corporate branch offices in Portland and Oregon these days for a dog like this to hunt. Regardless of what Fred Armisen says, it ain't the 90's any more.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I won't admit corporations are greedy. Corporations are neither greedy nor altruistic. That is not the role of the corporation. A corporation's purpose is to make the owners a profit via a good or service that someone somewhere is willing to pay for. That's about it.

If the state bureaucrat offers a taxing package to entice a company to either come or stay and you don't like it. Do not blame the corporation. Blame your friendly, all knowing bureaucracy that you place so much trust in. The corporation could care less. The corporation only looks for method to maximize profit. If a state deal will not allow that to occur, they will act accordingly. It is neither good nor bad. It's just business.

Lots of sheep in Oregon don't understand basic economics and would prefer to be victims of life.

I never said I hated people in Oregon. I am just not impressed with some of their powers of reason.
If you say so, from what I can tell from your posts is that you believe you are always right and everyone else is wrong, and those who are ring are just sheep. So why bother trying to have any sort of conversation......

But I will say, it is cute how you justify corporate greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland