Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 5,533 times

Advertisements

The only thing that Portland and Vancouver have in common is that they are in the same metro area. You will find none of the Portland vibe across the river. Many Vancouver residents avoid coming to Portland if at all possible - and for several reasons, including that some just don't like Portland. The commute is bad and getting worse. The advantages would include lower cost of living, no income tax (if you can find a good enough job in Washington), and living somewhat close to a more progressive city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 06:13 PM

17 posts, read 20,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
If you wish to continue with this program, you will either need to suck up the cost of housing, suck up the commute time, or transfer to a college in a cheaper location that isn't going to ********* with high out of state costs for the degree.

There is a lot of factors to consider beyond the cost of rent.
The problem is that even to afford living in the suburbs, I need to be working full-time and my job is in Ballard. If I am working and going to school full-time, I usually don't have enough time left in the day to shower let alone spend 2-3 hours on the bus. It's literally just not possible. I simply don't have that much time in the day. I live within walking distance of work right now, and my grades are already not very good because I don't have nearly as much time to study and do homework as I need to pull A's. As I mentioned in my original post, I am also considering New Mexico as they have a couple decent universities, but they aren't in urban areas which is really a concern for me because I don't have a car and rely on public transportation.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:16 PM

17 posts, read 20,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxh2oman View Post
The only thing that Portland and Vancouver have in common is that they are in the same metro area. You will find none of the Portland vibe across the river. Many Vancouver residents avoid coming to Portland if at all possible - and for several reasons, including that some just don't like Portland. The commute is bad and getting worse. The advantages would include lower cost of living, no income tax (if you can find a good enough job in Washington), and living somewhat close to a more progressive city.
That's helpful, thanks!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:36 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delitebrite View Post
The problem is that even to afford living in the suburbs, I need to be working full-time and my job is in Ballard. If I am working and going to school full-time, I usually don't have enough time left in the day to shower let alone spend 2-3 hours on the bus. It's literally just not possible. I simply don't have that much time in the day. I live within walking distance of work right now, and my grades are already not very good because I don't have nearly as much time to study and do homework as I need to pull A's. As I mentioned in my original post, I am also considering New Mexico as they have a couple decent universities, but they aren't in urban areas which is really a concern for me because I don't have a car and rely on public transportation.
That is tough, I know because I had to work full time while going to college full time as well. It isn't an easy task by any means, nor is there anything anyone on this site will be able to tell you that will make it easier for you. My three points are the three points that you have to decide on, no one else is going to be able to make those choices for you.

If New Mexico has the program that you want to do, and you understand the rules for out of state tuition there, then that is most definitely an option for you. I don't know anything about New Mexico, so I can't comment on that.

Colleges that aren't in urban areas often times rely on students living in or near campus. WSU is not urban at all, yet it is a huge college of students that live in walking distance of the University. You may have to consider that as a real option if you are to get a degree in your field.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Semi-serious response...

West Virginia?

Extremely cheap
Good for astro if you're into radio astronomy (Green Bank is there and quite a few professors make use of it on a regular basis)

I don't see how Portland makes any sense. It's expensive and your options to study what you want are nonexistent.

Vancouver is cheaper but pretty far removed from Portland aside from geographic proximity. The commute across the river is pretty miserable (as in backed up for miles) and transit options are limited thanks to the open hostility for light rail across the river. Amtrak is one option but it's pretty expensive ($8.50 one way) and doesn't run past about 7 PM.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:04 AM

616 posts, read 645,116 times
Seattle is much more corporate/big$$ than Portland. At this point Im not sure what Portland wants to be other than weird/ different. We have been adding manufacturing jobs by the hundreds but the wages are too low to even rent a decent apt. We have been building thousands of residential units(overpriced) but very little industrial/office space-only 1 major office building in downtown since 2001--I fear for the future.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 PM

32 posts, read 30,729 times
My husband applied for a job in Vancouver, Washington (near Portland) and King's County. I may need to have an opinion about which I'd prefer. I really liked what I read about Vancouver until I saw old threads about tons of drugs like meth? Has that changed? We are 40s-50s with two small dogs and currently live in SW Florida. We want to experience more outdoor time (hiking, nature, etc....) in a place nearby culture and concerts and good restaurants, but safety is a prime concern. We were already packing for a move to Auburn, CA until I cancelled it due to air quality.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficklered View Post
My husband applied for a job in Vancouver, Washington (near Portland) and King's County. I may need to have an opinion about which I'd prefer. I really liked what I read about Vancouver until I saw old threads about tons of drugs like meth? Has that changed? We are 40s-50s with two small dogs and currently live in SW Florida. We want to experience more outdoor time (hiking, nature, etc....) in a place nearby culture and concerts and good restaurants, but safety is a prime concern. We were already packing for a move to Auburn, CA until I cancelled it due to air quality.
You may want to check out Camas.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:30 PM

32 posts, read 30,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
You may want to check out Camas.
Okay, thank you.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I suggest Ficklered visit the Vancouver, WA forum for specific information about Vancouver and the surrounding communities. Rent initially, take time to find a neighborhood that suits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: